Mortar spotters

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Does anyone actively use mortar spotters?

I always tend to think of the spotting unit as having potentially more useful things to do - but the mind boggles at the prospect of a hip'd spotter directing fire from a hip'd 81mm mortar who is out of LOS and therefore both units retaining HIP. That's one of my ASL Bucket List items, for sure.

Is the +2/-1 ROF a good tradeoff? I'm not so sure - especially for light mortars. What do others think?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It does depend on the terrain. A mortar spotter concealed at the top of a building with the mortar down below in an adjacent hex is a good combo especially where the distances are large. Do you waste FP shooting at a concealed hs in a stone building to try and take the mortar out? Also where minimum range is a problem a sqd with no sw to give them can add the extra hex to allow you to use that mortar on the edge of the woods or jungle where the distance would be just too short.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I've yet to use one. The +2 TH and -1 RoF is bad enough and when coupled with the opportunity cost of dedicating a leader, it never seems like an attractive proposition.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
The best time to use them is when you can keep the mortar concealed. The spotter also does not lose concealment for spotting even though he is concealed. It can make it difficult to determine where the mortar is firing from and help it survive longer. As with most things in ASL, it is situation dependent. -- jim

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
The best time to use them is when you can keep the mortar concealed. The spotter also does not lose concealment for spotting even though he is concealed. It can make it difficult to determine where the mortar is firing from and help it survive longer. As with most things in ASL, it is situation dependent. -- jim
Its always situation dependant as Jim says. I rarely use them. The +2/-1 is hard to overcome. If its a large scenario and I can spare a HS, I will think about it, otherwise, I usually do not use them.

The keep HIP for spotters is not something I realized, that is nice. Might have to think of it more, especially in CGs.

Peace

Roger

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe that the Mike McGrath (sp?) article on ASL tactical tips says that all 5/8" mortars should have spotters. I rarely use them myself, but then again, I never win tournaments.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've yet to use one. The +2 TH and -1 RoF is bad enough and when coupled with the opportunity cost of dedicating a leader, it never seems like an attractive proposition.
A spotter does not need to be a leader.

Also remember that once a spotters nominated you can't get another until he is broken eliminated etc. C9.3 "A new Spotter may not be designated until the original Spotter is eliminate, broken, or captured - and not until the start of the owner's MPh following such a loss of the original Spotter"

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any Personnel (Infantry/PRC-not Inherent Crews) can Spot for MTRs, not just leaders. I almost always look for opportunities to use Spotted Fire....especially with both Spotter and MTR HIP. The TH and ROF penalties are not significant when compared to the benefits of Spotted Fire, IMHO.

Last edited:

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Againts units in woods with high Firepower, the best way to kill it is a spotter advancing concealed and keep the mortar behind in a safe position. I use two hexes with spotter tyring to use the one surviving any possible attack. And better if placing two mortars together with only one spotter. After 2 shots a 7 or less is a hit, and even 2 rof is good enough to get this hex vacated. Also a mortar can fire usually from 13+ hexes, taking only long range shots from the enemy units attacked. This tactic it´s also good vs OT vehicles with good IFE.... In RB is the best way to keep rooftops clean of enemy units. A HIP spotter with HIP mortars well placed can make hard to stay there.

As usual every rule has at least one good employment in ASL

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use them, especially on defense. In this situation, the HS often can be spared for such duty, and this also provides another hex between the mortar and target, so the advancing enemy doesn't get inside minimum range quite as easily. A 2 ROF must still be respected, and +2 TH is often washed with acquisition.

burniefox

Doomsower
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I always tend to think of the spotting unit as having potentially more useful things to do - but the mind boggles at the prospect of a hip'd spotter directing fire from a hip'd 81mm mortar who is out of LOS and therefore both units retaining HIP. That's one of my ASL Bucket List items, for sure.

Is the +2/-1 ROF a good tradeoff? I'm not so sure - especially for light mortars. What do others think?
It can be handy in a CG where you've got tons of MMC (especially HS) to act as spotters. Especially urban CGs -- I saw them used effectively in a BRV CG by my Russian opponent; 81mm MTRs firing from behind a building, with the spotter on the upper level of the building.

B-

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
+2 TH is often washed with acquisition.
Or by boresighting.
If some HIP capacity is allowed by SSR, an HIP spotter and mortar will be able to fire some time without being... spotted (or will force the opponent to do some guesswork).

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use them on defense a lot. especially in PTO sceanrios - lately I have been playing quite a few scenarios with hills sporting pacthes of jungle. pefect for HIP mortars and spotters - and yeah: best way to ahdnle US 6-6-7s crawling through teh jungle is to drop some airbursts from knee mortars on their heads wihtout worrying about return fire.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Yup I use them. It is a tactic I have only recently discovered. Some things take a while to sink in. Take Bloody Red Beach for example. The Japanese recieve two 90mm MTRs which have a minimum range of 14 hexes. That means that the MTRs can either set up where they have an LOS to the incoming Marines without spotters and be revealed quickly by their fire, or they can use spotters and set up well back and not have to worry about their minimum range and can stay HIP. This is vital in this scenario because the Marines recieve 9 fighter bombers in total in the first 3 turns. Those FB will be looking for the MTRs. Anything Japanese that fires in the first three turns is subject to air attack. They have napalm too.

The fact that the MTRs can stay HIP because they are out of LOS far outweighs the disadvantage to losing 1 ROF and adding +2 TH. They get to survive through the whole scenario if they are placed carefully (well, almost). The spotters remain HIP. So effectively you have firing units which are immune to return fire - until discovered.

I'm using spotters for Japanese 90mm and 150mm MTRs in my Iwo Jima CG. They remain right at the back of the map and pound the Marine positions. Excellent exchange for their reduced firing efficiency. If they did not use spotters they would be revealed instantaneously and the Marine FB would eliminate them in no time.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
play RB or VotG more, you'll find their use :) I look for spotters ,esp when I can HIP as a defender the mtr and then bring on the dreaded "HIP" mtr fire into the opposite treeline ( or city block ,as the case may be :) .....)

KRL,

Jon H

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I am seeing more and more ways to use them (since this thread started).

I had no clue the spotters could remain HIP.

So, how cool will it be to suddenly tell an opponent that he is being hit by MTR fire and he still cannot see the gun as the MTR stays HIP (it does remain HIP if out of LOS, correct), along with the spotter staying HIP.......

WOW! cool!

Peace

Roger

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those using both HIP spotters and mortars, how do you manage to do that without tipping off your opponent as to the location? I would be constantly staring at the location of the two units trying to work out ranges, LOS, etc.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
For those using both HIP spotters and mortars, how do you manage to do that without tipping off your opponent as to the location? I would be constantly staring at the location of the two units trying to work out ranges, LOS, etc.
The problem exists with other HIP situations...
I try to stare at different places of the map.
Now, after a moment, an opponent will have some idea where the mortaring is coming from, anyway.