What boardgames have you played recently?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New Year's Eve= played the Mars Attacks Dice game, Pass the Pigs, Splendor and Cards Against Humanity.
What did you think of Splendor? My friend liked it so much he bought a copy the next day. He normally doesn't like new games. Took it to his daughter's and played it with her and her roommate. She liked it so much she kept his copy, so he ordered another copy for himself.

Also played King of Tokyo and Alien Frontiers. If you have a boy 7-11 they will like KoT. Roll dice and attack other monsters. AF is another game my buddies liked a lot. Told me a couple times how good it is.

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What did you think of Splendor? My friend liked it so much he bought a copy the next day. He normally doesn't like new games. Took it to his daughter's and played it with her and her roommate. She liked it so much she kept his copy, so he ordered another copy for himself.
I played Splendor and liked it so much that I, too, ordered it the next day. A great filler game that is short and very easy to play.

kilometers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We just finished our second game from GMT's GBACW series Dead of Winter. We have played the introductory scenario twice now, switching sides, and now feel pretty comfortable with how the system works. Next Saturday we're going to move on to the first regular scenario. Though I am looking forward to the game, I will be ready to move back to ASL whenever he is.

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Met up with some folks and played Kingsburg for my second playing and then was introduced to Splendor and Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Splendor is a fair little filler game but it's not much ahead of basic Solitaire in that regard. Ludwig's Castles was an interesting change of paced to some of the Euros I have been introduced to.

Now Kingsburg is THE game. Best Euro I played in these last 2-3 years that I started playing this genre. Almost zero "Whack a Mole" (smack down the leader) which I noticed is a large trend in these multi player Euros and other games like the COIN series (Distant Plain, Cuba Libre and Fire on the Lake) and HIS and VQ card driven multi players.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is a great game for both casual and serious gamers alike.

Some luck, but little enough that player decisions make the biggest difference.

Solid components

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
7-player game of Martin Wallace's Struggle of Empires. French win via domination of India, East Indies, South America, and the Mediterranean. Between an Alliance with Portugal, solid Banking practices, and a well Trained Army (Army Training sir!!) France was able to hold off a hard charging Great Britain and a fading Russia. Solid game, but I have begun to wonder about the power of the "kingmaker" aspect to influence the outcome.

Still a fun time.

Bill

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now Kingsburg is THE game. Best Euro I played in these last 2-3 years that I started playing this genre. Almost zero "Whack a Mole" (smack down the leader) which I noticed is a large trend in these multi player Euros and other games like the COIN series (Distant Plain, Cuba Libre and Fire on the Lake) and HIS and VQ card driven multi players.
Kingsburg is an okay game. You will discover that players always go for the same 2 or 3 tracks and the other 2 will always be ignored. And that it is better to roll a 17 than an 18. The expansion makes it a brilliant game. I give Kingsburg a 5 out of 10, but with the expansion I give it a 9.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Bought the three D&D 5th edition rulebooks.....just out of curiosity mainly. The 5th edition by Wizards Of The Coast is supposed to be the best since TSR's AD&D all those years ago. Curiosity killed the cat.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Bought the three D&D 5th edition rulebooks.....just out of curiosity mainly. The 5th edition by Wizards Of The Coast is supposed to be the best since TSR's AD&D all those years ago. Curiosity killed the cat.
There's already 5th edition? Seems like 4th ed. really vacuumed genitals.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
There's already 5th edition? Seems like 4th ed. really vacuumed genitals.
4th was terrible and not many people played it, they really had no choice to move to 5th. I too, bought the 5th edition PHB, DMG and MM. I have not dove into it all that much though.

Peace

Roger

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played 3 games recently that I really enjoyed...

Card based Euro game Race for the Galaxy... Enjoyed it quite a bit. Quick and fun.

The old favorite Castles of Burgundy. A fantastic mix of Catan, Carcassone, and maybe Agricola? Found it very enjoyable but I wonder how 'deep' it is to allow for many replayings.

And finally, a card based game called Innovation and it's first expansion Innovation: Echoes of the Past. This was the clear winner and extremely fun and for all. Played it 3 times. Highly recommended!!

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
7-player game of Martin Wallace's Struggle of Empires. French win via domination of India, East Indies, South America, and the Mediterranean. Between an Alliance with Portugal, solid Banking practices, and a well Trained Army (Army Training sir!!) France was able to hold off a hard charging Great Britain and a fading Russia. Solid game, but I have begun to wonder about the power of the "kingmaker" aspect to influence the outcome.

Still a fun time.

Bill
Awesome game isn't it?

We (my son Andrew and I) played a 4 player of this at 19-1 club in Indy with Jason Eickmann and Tommy Cvetinovich last year and had a 3 way tie for 1rst, (Jason, Andrew Me) at 92 points!!! Tommy was not far off the pace with 88 points.

Unbelievable last turn.

JT

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I played Smolensk from Fading Glory (Nappy 20 system).
Up to now, Waterloo and Salamanca are my preferred of the four.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I recently had a good time with Black Fleet - your basic Euro resource shipping game, but with the added twists that each player controls their own pirate ship as well, and takes turns moving the naval ships around to intercept the pirates. It's good fun, suitable for spouses who don't really like violent games (in spite of the theme).

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Anyone ever played "War Of The Suns"? This looks *really* interesting. For one it would be a great source of info about the war.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Played A Few Acres Of Snow tonight, an entertaining combination deckbuilder / wargame, designed by Martin Wallace and based on the British vs French conflicts in North America in the late 18th C. Asymmetric and, despite being a deckbuilder, has a strong spatial and manouevre element. Recommended.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone ever played "War Of The Suns"? This looks *really* interesting. For one it would be a great source of info about the war.
I own two copies (one from preorder and a second from the before-Black-Friday sale because it was so cheap), but have not had a chance to play it. If you do buy a copy, be sure to download the updated rulebook and playbook (a.k.a. "scenario book") from MMP's IGS support page because there were unfortunately a number of errors and unclear rules in the original printing: http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Support/IGS/tabid/65/Default.aspx There is also supposed to be a further updated version of the rulebook coming at some point. I'd also recommend reviewing the unofficial Q&A from BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/101826/questions-answers-v10

Last edited: