What boardgames have you played recently?

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Zombicide. Great fun and a good cooperative game. To date the Zombies are winning 5-1 in our sessions :-(

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Playing MMP's civil war game None But Heroes (the battle of Antietam).
I was bummed this was not on their Black Friday sale. I did pick up a copy of Last Chance for Victory. After the first of the year, I plan on diving in (after a couple aborted attempts).

Peace

Roger

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was bummed this was not on their Black Friday sale. I did pick up a copy of Last Chance for Victory. After the first of the year, I plan on diving in (after a couple aborted attempts).

Peace

Roger
Last Chance for Victory I just received in the mail a few days ago. Massive is the word for it. I am actually kind of glad I started with the smaller game of the Battle of Antietam - None But Heroes - because I would feel overwhelmed otherwise.

I really like the Line of Battle system now, but it took me a long, long time to understand the rules, though everyone at the Consim forum is always writing how great the rules are. (God, is Consim the most unusable forum ever. I wish it were organized like GSF).

With the actual leaders and troop levels and scaled to play for the actual time of the battle, it is a great history lesson [my slam on ASL HASL's]. Even got me to watch a documentary on the battle of Antietam.

In my re-learning of the civil war, or at least Antietam, I am embarrassed to say that in my foggy memory I somehow thought the Emancipation Proclamation came as part of the aftermath of Gettysburg but it came as part of the aftermath of Antietam.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Monday, we were seven (AM) and eight (PM) at my place.

In the morning, we played two parallel games of Smallworld (4 players - most expansions) and Smallworld Underground (3).
In the afternoon, we played two parallel "D&D boardgame" : Wrath of Ashardalon (4 players, "Monster Hunt" adventure, lost) and Legend of Drizzt (4 players, "Rhogar's gear" adventure, won).

We are off for another day on January 3, 2015 - we will play the same games, so there will be less time lost (for me) teaching and (for most of them) learning the rules...
That time, we will eat a cheese raclette rather than a curry.
Beer will keep flowing (I had bought a kag of "Cuvée des Trolls" - The Troll's Cuvée).

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Teenage Mutant Turtles (action figures) 2014, take on "Barbie" and her gang of "Frozen" action figures......

Me & Jr. vs. his two sisters..... It was a "knock down, drag out" donibrook.....

Grandma threw in an unexpected "Task Check" for Grandpa and I roll 6,6.....

Jr. Was on his own, but it was all "Frozen" by the time they left.......

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Last Chance for Victory I just received in the mail a few days ago. Massive is the word for it. I am actually kind of glad I started with the smaller game of the Battle of Antietam - None But Heroes - because I would feel overwhelmed otherwise.

I really like the Line of Battle system now, but it took me a long, long time to understand the rules, though everyone at the Consim forum is always writing how great the rules are. (God, is Consim the most unusable forum ever. I wish it were organized like GSF).

With the actual leaders and troop levels and scaled to play for the actual time of the battle, it is a great history lesson [my slam on ASL HASL's]. Even got me to watch a documentary on the battle of Antietam.

In my re-learning of the civil war, or at least Antietam, I am embarrassed to say that in my foggy memory I somehow thought the Emancipation Proclamation came as part of the aftermath of Gettysburg but it came as part of the aftermath of Antietam.
Agreed None But Heroes is better for doing the entire battle in a reasonable space. LCV does have that "small" entire battle where it only used two of its maps, but seems odd to me.

Peace

Roger

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sid Meier's Colonization round tonight, I went about 55 turns before saving the game. Spanish have acquired a very nice position with 4 colonies across a shared large land mass with England; and the Aztec Empire. Taking down a single Aztec city netted me 11,000 in gold - but also meant Veracruz must be HEAVILY garrisoned now, as the Aztecs took a dim view to my unrequited assault upon their civilization.

The Caribbean is awash with swashbucklers armed with letters or marque issued by the queen herself, and they have earned me a steady profit as well.

It was all in all a profitable start after getting kicked all the way back to the Iberian Peninsula the first attempt.

KRL, Jon H

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
FFG's "Relic". Warhammer 40.000 setting, one map, each player has one character, very simple (almost beer & pretzels) yet very narrative. I had much fun, and I have almost no clue, what's going on in Wh40k universe.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I like Relic too. It is the Warhammer 40k version of Talisman. I hope they will produce expansions which allow more than four players.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
I like Relic too. It is the Warhammer 40k version of Talisman. I hope they will produce expansions which allow more than four players.
If I recall correctly, FFG is either planning to make some expansions, or just released one.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If I recall correctly, FFG is either planning to make some expansions, or just released one.
Yes. One is out.
I just noticed that it allows to play to up to 6 players - after BGG description :
Nemesis, the first expansion for Relic, introduces player-versus-player combat to the board game in an optional new "Enemies of the Imperium" game mode; in this mode, up to two players play as Nemeses, such as a World Eaters Berserker or a Eldar Dire Avenger, instead of characters. In addition to the four nemesis roles, Nemesis introduces two new player characters — an Eversor Assassin and a Storm Trooper Sergeant — with up to six players now being able to play at the same time.

Nemesis also adds player-versus-player combat through a standalone "Apostates versus Devotee" mechanism; characters who choose to try to use new Apostate wargear — proscribed technology created by enemies of the Imperium — become Apostates, subject to the prosecution of other, more puritanical, Devotee characters.

Finally, Nemesis adds four new Scenarios to Relic, such as the "Hulk of the Wayward Warrior", in which players must complete a clean-up mission of the long lost space hulk, Wayward Warrior, and the "Master Collector" scenario that requires players to bring precious but forbidden treasures to an infamous and reclusive Rogue Trader.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
A Study in Emerald and Coup...and the usual Pax Porfiriana, Rise of Empires, and Struggle of Empires.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played Cards Against Humanity--a party game for horrible people--last night. A word of warning, if women are at the table be prepared to have your delicate male sensibilities crushed and mocked. It's the official game of Psycho's trailer park.

Last edited:

anzac74

Reaction score
First name
Paco
Country
llSpain
B-17 Queen of the Skies, B-29 Superfortress and Dan Verssen´s Phantom Leader... pretty solitaire all of them I must admit!!

Yokowermland

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Last month.?

A lot actually. Here i stand, The battle of Halmstad (M&P series Nothing gained but glory), Battle Line, A few acres of Snow, Making of the President, Blackbeard.
When i think about it maybe thats why i suck at ASL.

Note to self: Stop loosing in games other than ASL.