What boardgames have you played recently?

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For 5 players I would say:

Ra (old school, so you may already have it; easy to learn - quick play)
Small World or Small World Underground (as the name implies, the world ain't big enough for everyone/everything; it does have a very slight Kingmaker aspect and there is definitely an "in your face" aspect, so it may depend on your family dynamic - my son yes, the rest of the family not so much)
Dungeon Lords (our current favorite group game; the standard game is for 2-4 players, but there is a great 5-player set of variant rules on BGG; the game is by Vlaada Chvátil, the same designer that created Galaxy Trucker; I like the game mechanics in Dungeon Lords better than Galaxy Trucker as the race stage in GT never did it for me; both the build and combat phases in DL are fun)

Bill
Looking for a recommendation on a family game say for 5 - 7 players. This family group doesn't wargame per see but they do have some competitve fire. Have played Catan and Puerto Rico before so looking for something else.

Thanks

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh yeah, Martin Wallace's Railroad Tycoon is a great 2-6 player game. Kind of like Small World on rails...not big enough for everyone to survive...we played the hell out of it a couple years back... definitely in your face and as with a large number of multi-player games there is a slight kingmaker aspect to it, but fun none the less.

Looking for a recommendation on a family game say for 5 - 7 players. This family group doesn't wargame per see but they do have some competitve fire. Have played Catan and Puerto Rico before so looking for something else.

Thanks

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For 5 players I would say:

Ra (old school, so you may already have it; easy to learn - quick play)
Small World or Small World Underground (as the name implies, the world ain't big enough for everyone/everything; it does have a very slight Kingmaker aspect and there is definitely an "in your face" aspect, so it may depend on your family dynamic - my son yes, the rest of the family not so much)
Dungeon Lords (our current favorite group game; the standard game is for 2-4 players, but there is a great 5-player set of variant rules on BGG; the game is by Vlaada Chvátil, the same designer that created Galaxy Trucker; I like the game mechanics in Dungeon Lords better than Galaxy Trucker as the race stage in GT never did it for me; both the build and combat phases in DL are fun)

Bill
If I make it to WO, can we get Dungeon Lords on the table? Sounds like fun. Besides, I'm tired of pounding Col Deller in GT... :bite:

Steve

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve,

I'm pretty sure that Sean and I are both bringing our copies...hopefully one of us will also have a copy of Dungeon Petz by then too.

DL has my favorite non-wargame artwork of all time...

The other upside is that Deller kind of sucks at the game too:)

If I make it to WO, can we get Dungeon Lords on the table? Sounds like fun. Besides, I'm tired of pounding Col Deller in GT... :bite:

Steve

Drow

Reaction score
Started replaying the 1975 NL baseball season, with the BLM (Big League Manager) game. Big fad of "BLM".
Bill

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played "Manhattan Project" last Saturday. Good multiplayer game, takes a few times through it to really plan a strategy.

Reminded me af a railroad game or 'Power Grid' in some ways.

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a session of Battlelore for the nostalgia value...going the way of the dodo with DOW having passed it on to FFG. Thinking about taking the dive into FFG's BL variant Battles of Westeros. Anyone have thoughts on this one?

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Played Survive: Escape from Atlantis with some friends last night. I think I need to change my name to Ahab, though. I keep getting hosed by whales when I play that game...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I have been playing Thunderstone and Runeage these times.
Both are deck building games, set in a fantasy environement.
Both allow solo playing.
TS has a random set of "village" and "dungeon" cards, so each game has a different setting (especially if one adds the extensions).
Runeage has four scenarios, with definite cards to use.
Both are nice and challenging.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing a scenario right now from the "Go for Broke" pack for Panzer Grenadier.
What's the setting/theme of that pack?

Only PG product that has really made me take a second look is the Cassino one.

John

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The last non-ASL wargame I played was a couple of months ago: AH 'Starship Troopers' solo.

The last non-ASL game I played was last weekend: 'Cluedo' with the wife and kids (I think its called 'Clue' in North America).

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Played Carcassonne Friday night and At the Gates of Loyang solo on Saturday.

Also preparing to play MMP's Guadalajara - an SCS treatment of the Spanish Civil war battle.