So what scenarios have you played Recently?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Played SM6 Sound and Fury, trying to get some experience on the Sainte-Mère map for a future CG and some much-needed experience with Night rules.

Problem is, unless we missed some major thing rules-wise, this scenario is completely broken. The US (defender) setup is limited to 5 hexes from some crossroad in the center, and this means there is a whole hex row to the east where the Americans can see nothing except for a single hex - which happens to be a stone building, and out of NVR range.
It sort of sounds like you had the orientation incorrect. The stone building hex at range is is along the south edge.

The Americans set up within the orange area, the Germans enter from the left-hand side (North) and must eixt along the right-hand side (South).

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Duh! You're perfectly right, we played it with the wrong orientation (I'd blame my opponent who prepared the setup, but I never checked...)

Seen this way, there are no safe passages for the Germans, and the Americans have ways to at least force a fight. They'll still have to split their force to cover the whole width of the map (and with only two leaders on the US side, Freedom of Movement will be a problem), but at least there is no obvious way for the Germans to cross completely unopposed.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not long finished BFP - 35 "MAI PHU" from B&J. My regular oppo was the Japanese and threw in the towel during Jap turn 5 after essentially running out of infantry units after a series of brutal CCs .
His dice were awful from beginning to end - Turn one, broke his OBA radio, rolled a six next rally phase. First mortar shots, no WP, destroyed mortar, same with his MMGs. He was losing two MMC + Leaders in CC to my one MMC on average, despite not piling everything into the CC.
I went for an Alamo defence, which worked, my French units passing every MC ( only one guy broke and that was voluntary) Didn'thave much luck with my INF Guns but ultimately didnt need it.
Great scenario, recommended if you like early war, but you really need that OBA HE/WP if you play the Japanese ....

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished up HG-14 Tigers on the Hill this week. A less than satisfying win as my Tigers had my way with Dan’s bazooka armed Americans. This was one where everything went my way and I was able to hit the CVP cap with 2.5 turns to go. Double CVP for captured Ami was devastating and 6/7 morale Americans don’t counterattack well against 8 morale Germans with Tigers

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
Finished up HG-14 Tigers on the Hill this week. A less than satisfying win as my Tigers had my way with Dan’s bazooka armed Americans. This was one where everything went my way and I was able to hit the CVP cap with 2.5 turns to go. Double CVP for captured Ami was devastating and 6/7 morale Americans don’t counterattack well against 8 morale Germans with Tigers
Good scenario but it a pity that no Tigers were present in the area at this time (I work 10 kms away from the scenario place) :). It should be Stugs no Tigers.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
N8 and I just gave up on SF2, Power Struggle on Provisor from the Manila module. Holy %#$^, what a dog. This scenario is one of the poorest designs I have seen in a long time.
Maybe if you cut it from 8.5 turns to 6.5, or 5.5. As written I don't think the Japanese will ever register a win. Hopefully no one will find out as there are so many better options out there. Mark AVOID.
Sorry you had a bad experience with this. Most folks have enjoyed it. (see post by Eagle4ty on page 468 of this thread). I checked our play test record and it shows the Americans with a slight advantage of 9 wins to 7 for the Japanese.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good scenario but it a pity that no Tigers were present in the area at this time (I work 10 kms away from the scenario place) :). It should be Stugs no Tigers.
While it is true that to many Allied troops every German tank was a Tiger, in this instance I took the scenario details directly from The US Army in WWII (the green books) and from two other books detailing this action. All three stated there were Tiger tanks involved. I was not there during the battle (almost old enough) so have to rely on other sources as being "correct".

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished playing the free HazMo 31 "The Cloak of Disorder" with Bruce Stevenson for our VASLeague game. I was pensive, because most free scenarios tend to be unplaytested and therefore the balance is sketchy. That was not the case for this one. It was a fun game w/ a lot happening, with the issue in doubt until the very last H-to-H CC in the victory building. My Chinese were able to pull it off thanks to a beserk 7-0 and 1-2-7, my SSR DC hero, a sniper (pinning a squad), a dare death squad, 2x8-0s and a 337. All were needed to succeed against 2 Japanese 448s. Great game w/ a great opponent.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
While it is true that to many Allied troops every German tank was a Tiger, in this instance I took the scenario details directly from The US Army in WWII (the green books) and from two other books detailing this action. All three stated there were Tiger tanks involved. I was not there during the battle (almost old enough) so have to rely on other sources as being "correct".
Hi, I am 99 % sure that no Tigers were involved in that fight. The Germans units in this area were only equipped with Pz IV, Stug and JagPanzer IV. The wrecks on the battlefield were stugs, no tigers mentionned. Lionel

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Regardless of the 100% historical accuracy of the OOB as debated upstream, I found this to be a very FUN scenario nonetheless. The map used made for a very interesting flow of action. I comment because my playing of this several years ago resulted in me sending a question to MMP that was never answered.....can a "burning" wreck be pushed (D10.42) like a non-burning wreck? I found several threads at the time with some fairly august players taking both sides of the yes/no. I can't recall a situation since where it was almost imperative to want to push a burning wreck, but my question still lingers...

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Just finished playing the free HazMo 31 "The Cloak of Disorder" with Bruce Stevenson for our VASLeague game. I was pensive, because most free scenarios tend to be unplaytested and therefore the balance is sketchy. That was not the case for this one. It was a fun game w/ a lot happening, with the issue in doubt until the very last H-to-H CC in the victory building. My Chinese were able to pull it off thanks to a beserk 7-0 and 1-2-7, my SSR DC hero, a sniper (pinning a squad), a dare death squad, 2x8-0s and a 337. All were needed to succeed against 2 Japanese 448s. Great game w/ a great opponent.
That title sound like a D&D magic item.

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ron Duenskie and I played 'Loser takes all' from the recent journal. It has 11 squads in a village with 3 SU-100's and two HIP 76L art guns in between two SS groups in 1945. On one side 9 658/548 enter with a SIG 150 AG and a 12 IFE HT. On the other side 3 squads, 3 Pz4, two Jgpz, and two SPAA 37L (8/12 IFE) complete the encirclement. The 76L's have to face north (not towards either side) to start and 1 or 2 of the SU-100's are TI turn 1. The Germans have 6 full turns to avoid any GO MMC within 4 hexes of the center of the village. Ron was able to break into the village turn 3, but there was no way he was going to clear it in 6 turns. Arguably he wouldn't have been able to do it given infinite time.

Ron hated this scenario, he rated it "candyland instead". The problem in my mind is the VC and force pools. The germans have a good force, but one side is AFV light and takes them 2 turns to get to the village. The other side will be there in one turn but is light on squads. Another problem is that the guns are HIP. If still HIP at the end game, with the last player turn the crew could run back into the VC area for the win. I honestly don't see how the germans get this done or what the playtesters were thinking. YMMV but IMHO, I'd take away one of the 76L guns AND add 3 548s to the AFV-heavy group before I'd even consider this one again.
Paul

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ron Duenskie and I played 'Loser takes all' from the recent journal. It has 11 squads in a village with 3 SU-100's and two HIP 76L art guns in between two SS groups in 1945. On one side 9 658/548 enter with a SIG 150 AG and a 12 IFE HT. On the other side 3 squads, 3 Pz4, two Jgpz, and two SPAA 37L (8/12 IFE) complete the encirclement. The 76L's have to face north (not towards either side) to start and 1 or 2 of the SU-100's are TI turn 1. The Germans have 6 full turns to avoid any GO MMC within 4 hexes of the center of the village. Ron was able to break into the village turn 3, but there was no way he was going to clear it in 6 turns. Arguably he wouldn't have been able to do it given infinite time.

Ron hated this scenario, he rated it "candyland instead". The problem in my mind is the VC and force pools. The germans have a good force, but one side is AFV light and takes them 2 turns to get to the village. The other side will be there in one turn but is light on squads. Another problem is that the guns are HIP. If still HIP at the end game, with the last player turn the crew could run back into the VC area for the win. I honestly don't see how the germans get this done or what the playtesters were thinking. YMMV but IMHO, I'd take away one of the 76L guns AND add 3 548s to the AFV-heavy group before I'd even consider this one again.
Paul
Good to know Paul. Thanks for the 411.

MajorDad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished playing series of 14 ASL scenarios one which was a play test that I cannot comment on. The first was Take and Hold from DftB. While I enjoyed the scenario it is an uphill climb for the Japanese. If the Japanese do not get smoke move on to something else. A suggested fix would have the Japanese Mortars have Smoke 9 for their first shot on the first turn only. Otherwise, it is a dice game with Japanese on the loosing end.

Next up was J220 Battle of the Barricades. This scenario suffers badly because the five road blocks can be placed in such a way that it is a shell game. There is not enough time to find them let alone clear one. Enough Said.

Off to Stalingrad we went with HazMo 23 Empty Spaces. Don’t bother, the force ratio is nearly one to one with the Russians having numerous fortifications. The German victory conditions are impossible with the time allotted.

Back to Korea at night with J222 Den Ouden Holds the Line. A fun scenario with an attack / counter attack. Highly recommend with this scenario being night-lite.

Gave March Madness MM88 A Medal for G Co a try since we have enjoyed MM scenarios in the past. Sadly, this will not be joining them. This scenario suffers from a design flaw. There are no German setup restrictions allowing the German player to concentrate his entire force of fortifications on one of the three required victory locations. This breaks the scenario’s time and distance parameters.

Excited to go off to North Africa with a brand-new scenario and boards with FT293 Wild Men from Texas. The Texans are all dead baking in the African sun. If you are fortune enough to get enough WP from your two mortars you will only die later than sooner for you must cross a large swath of open ground under fire from five MGs while your troops have ML6. And then the Texans must ascend a terraced hill side completely full of stone ruble defended by German 5-4-8! And the entire German left flank will most certainly be locked down by wire and mines. Oh, I forgot to mention the ROF 3 50L ATG.

Landing back on mainland Europe with HazMo 6 Great Vengeance. As the Germans if you pick the appropriate four hexes for your two wire and converted AP mines to AT mines you can mitigate the British players armor support.

Off to the Eastern Front with SP255 Anatoly’s Ambush. A fun fast swirling scenario. Lots going on for both sides. As the Germans don’t be afraid to ESB, it might win you the game.

Still stuck on the Eastern Front; It was hot so we went to J202 Down by the River. A fun scenario with two separate actions going on that are interconnected. Don’t forget you can shoot across the river and watch out for route.

Winter came and we are still on the Eastern Front and it is was not the Germans who were suffering. It was the Italians in HazMo 30 Orphans of Saturn. A promising scenario at first glance but broken by the fact that despite it being the 9th day for the Italian breakout they are neither under ammunition shortage nor hampered in their movement by exhaustion thus allowing them to double time when ever eligible which breaks the time and distance set by the Turn record chart. Suggested fix would be not allowing the Italians to double time and place them under ammo shortage.

Transferred to the Western Front to participate in the Ardennes offensive with J242 Courage of Cowen. This is nice tense scenario for both sides. Requiring great skill in a fallback defense as the Americans and requiring aggressive forward momentum by the SS attackers.

Changing Theaters to the PTO we played J239 Shoot or Shovel. This like wise is a nice scenario requiring the same skills in J242. Only this time it is the Marines holding off repeated Japanese Banzai attacks.

Ending our wars end with DbtF170 One Wars End. This is a three player scenario in which my son joined us. He the junior player pulled off a one-point victory. A fun scenario.

That’s about it. Roll low.

Last edited:

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished playing series of 14 ASL scenarios one which was a play test that I cannot comment on. The first was Take and Hold from DftB. While I enjoyed the scenario it is an uphill climb for the Japanese. If the Japanese do not get smoke move on to something else. A suggested fix would have the Japanese Mortars have Smoke 9 for their first shot on the first turn only. Otherwise, it is a dice game with Japanese on the loosing end.
I couldn't disagree more on Take and Hold. The only chance the Americans have is the Javanese don't get smoke. If they get smoke it's a cake walk for the Japs. They clear the bridge quite easily with HtH and their reinforcements come on before the Americans. The Americans will never retake anything from the Japanese since they don't break.

MajorDad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I couldn't disagree more on Take and Hold. The only chance the Americans have is the Javanese don't get smoke. If they get smoke it's a cake walk for the Japs. They clear the bridge quite easily with HtH and their reinforcements come on before the Americans. The Americans will never retake anything from the Japanese since they don't break.
Doug,
It seems like mileage will vary. With no smoke, my on board forces were only able to take the first bridge hex having been shot to pieces with multiple down two shots. My turn two reinforcements were only able to gain the second bridge hex and they too were decimated in the process. With my opponent still holding the house and his turn two reinforcements moving onto position there was no way for the Japanese force to hold the one bridge hex. It seems the scenario is a damn if you do or damn if you don't.

My Best
Keith

Last edited:

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Next up was J220 Battle of the Barricades. This scenario suffers badly because the five road blocks can be placed in such a way that it is a shell game. There is not enough time to find them let alone clear one. Enough Said.

Off to Stalingrad we went with HazMo 23 Empty Spaces. Don’t bother, the force ratio is nearly one to one with the Russians having numerous fortifications. The German victory conditions are impossible with the time allotted.

Back to Korea at night with J222 Den Ouden Holds the Line. A fun scenario with an attack / counter attack. Highly recommend with this scenario being night-lite.

Gave March Madness MM88 A Medal for G Co a try since we have enjoyed MM scenarios in the past. Sadly, this will not be joining them. This scenario suffers from a design flaw. There are no German setup restrictions allowing the German player to concentrate his entire force of fortifications on one of the three required victory locations. This breaks the scenario’s time and distance parameters.

Excited to go off to North Africa with a brand-new scenario and boards with FT293 Wild Men from Texas. The Texans are all dead baking in the African sun. If you are fortune enough to get enough WP from your two mortars you will only die later than sooner for you must cross a large swath of open ground under fire from five MGs while your troops have ML6. And then the Texans must ascend a terraced hill side completely full of stone ruble defended by German 5-4-8! And the entire German left flank will most certainly be locked down by wire and mines. Oh, I forgot to mention the ROF 3 50L ATG.

Landing back on mainland Europe with HazMo 6 Great Vengeance. As the Germans if you pick the appropriate four hexes for your two wire and converted AP mines to AT mines you can mitigate the British players armor support.

Off to the Eastern Front with SP255 Anatoly’s Ambush. A fun fast swirling scenario. Lots going on for both sides. As the Germans don’t be afraid to ESB, it might win you the game.

Still stuck on the Eastern Front; It was hot so we went to J202 Down by the River. A fun scenario with two separate actions going on that are interconnected. Don’t forget you can shoot across the river and watch out for route.

Winter came and we are still on the Eastern Front and it is was not the Germans who were suffering. It was the Italians in HazMo 30 Orphans of Saturn. A promising scenario at first glance but broken by the fact that despite it being the 9th day for the Italian breakout they are neither under ammunition shortage nor hampered in their movement by exhaustion thus allowing them to double time when ever eligible which breaks the time and distance set by the Turn record chart. Suggested fix would be not allowing the Italians to double time and place them under ammo shortage.

Transferred to the Western Front to participate in the Ardennes offensive with J242 Courage of Cowen. This is nice tense scenario for both sides. Requiring great skill in a fallback defense as the Americans and requiring aggressive forward momentum by the SS attackers.

Changing Theaters to the PTO we played J239 Shoot or Shovel. This like wise is a nice scenario requiring the same skills in J242. Only this time it is the Marines holding off repeated Japanese Banzai attacks.

Ending our wars end with DbtF170 One Wars End. This is a three player scenario in which my son joined us. He the junior player pulled off a one-point victory. A fun scenario.

That’s about it. Roll low.
Again a successful Camp Spurlock... Glad you had fun playing "Down By The River".

Andrew Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llAustralia

Paul
Thanks for the feedback. If you are interested in late war scenarios, there are some other ones that you should consider from Journal 14. J243 Sore Thumbs, J244 Bowden's Woods and J245 Factory Fodder. Hopefully these are more to your liking. Andy Rogers