What boardgames have you played recently?

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On Saturday, another game of Continental Express (which I should add is a pretty simple filler game, nothing more... but also cheap and portable).

Also two games of Between Two Cities, which I may or may not have mentioned before; each player is drafting city tiles to build two cities, one with the person to his left and one to the right. Person whose worst city has the highest score wins, to discourage you from tanking one city to win with the other. Neat concept and fun although after only three plays I'm starting to see possible limits to its long-term replay value.

A game of Stone Age with an expansion that adds fifth player and some cool "bone" jewelry, plus a merchant mechanic which uses it, and a bunch of other little additions. It seemed like a good expansion, though since one of the players had analysis paralysis, it's hard to say whether the additional stuff added smoothly to the base game or slowed it down excessively.

Maybe something else, I can't remember. And at the end of the evening I watched some of Codenames but didn't take part.

Some games others were playing included Aquasphere, Eclipse with the latest expansion, and Marco Polo -- which I keep seeing people playing, but have not tried yet. Oh, and Patchwork got another rave review. :)

John

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just Downloaded all the rules, charts etc for GMT games 'Panzer' and all 3 add-on modules, looking at giving Scenario #1 'The Crossing' a bash later in the week. Anyone else have this game, and what do they think of it?

Cheers

Perry

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just downlaoded all the stuff I need for GMT games 'Fighting Formations GD' got the Vassal module etc, has any one else got this game, and if so, what are their impressions? I from an initial glance like the look of it.

Perry

alanlynott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just downlaoded all the stuff I need for GMT games 'Fighting Formations GD' got the Vassal module etc, has any one else got this game, and if so, what are their impressions? I from an initial glance like the look of it.

Perry
I've got FF, only played a couple of solo games but liked it - this was all pre-ASL, I would be interested in playing again now I have a lot more tactical gaming under my belt. We should give it a go over VASSAL mate.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've got FF, only played a couple of solo games but liked it - this was all pre-ASL, I would be interested in playing again now I have a lot more tactical gaming under my belt. We should give it a go over VASSAL mate.
Now that sounds like a plan Al, work at the moment is very busy but I am sure i can sort some time out as we are clearly working on the same time zone. Give me a few weeks to get the basics under my belt and we can have at it. will PM me your skype details and I will add you to my contacts when I get off Duty (Duty Platoon again!) tomoz morning.

Cheers

Perry

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Perry
I played it a few times. At first, I thought it was pretty cool. However, it is too Euro-y for my taste and it takes way too long too play for what it is. YMMV...

Steve

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I played it a few times. At first, I thought it was pretty cool. However, it is too Euro-y for my taste and it takes way too long too play for what it is. YMMV...

Steve
Thanks Steve,

Excuse my non understanding, but what is meant by Euro-y ? I have heard or seen it a few times, but what does it mean in essence? as I truley have no idea.

Cheers

Perry

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Steve,

Excuse my non understanding, but what is meant by Euro-y ? I have heard or seen it a few times, but what does it mean in essence? as I truley have no idea.

Cheers

Perry
The part where you roll dice to place blocks on the table and then take turns pulling them off to do something. I have no idea what that represents in terms of tactical combat...

Steve

Martin Mayers

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Played Call of Cthulhu last night with half a dozen friends I know as a result of ASL.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The part where you roll dice to place blocks on the table and then take turns pulling them off to do something. I have no idea what that represents in terms of tactical combat...

Steve
Ah right, sort of with you on that one, I am just use to Counters and charts and dice rolling as in ASL and such.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Pax Pamir, MMP's Warriors of God and Power Grid - stock expansion recently. Good stuff.

alanlynott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Now that sounds like a plan Al, work at the moment is very busy but I am sure i can sort some time out as we are clearly working on the same time zone. Give me a few weeks to get the basics under my belt and we can have at it. will PM me your skype details and I will add you to my contacts when I get off Duty (Duty Platoon again!) tomoz morning.

Cheers

Perry
I'm also snowed under at work so will need a few weeks, plus I would need to refresh my memory. I will PM you my email and we can figure it out mate.

Cheers, Al.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm also snowed under at work so will need a few weeks, plus I would need to refresh my memory. I will PM you my email and we can figure it out mate.

Cheers, Al.
PM sent mate, yep, am sure we can muddle through it.

Cheers

Perry

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Pax Pamir, MMP's Warriors of God and Power Grid - stock expansion recently. Good stuff.
Just picked up Pax Pamir myself. Trying to wrap my head around. Seems like a great game, but I'll need to play it a few times before any semblance of strategy forms in my brain.

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
Flew a mission of B-17 Queen of the Skies with my son. Pilot seriously wounded, Co-pilot KIA, 0% bombs on target, but the flight engineer got the plane home with everyone else unscathed.
Son really enjoyed it, can't wait for our next mission.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just played Scoville for the first time. Gotta think on a few levels, almost better to just go with one main strategy rather than trying to optimize every opportunity.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Started learning Enemy Action: Ardennes with Doug. Made it through two turns. Not certain how much I like it. Might be a better solo game (Doug loves the solo game so we are giving the 2 player game a shot).

Started my first game of Wellington, PBEM with 3 other ASLers. I am not familiar with this nor, Nappy Wars, not am I very versed in multi-player games. SO we shall see how it goes. Got my ass kicked in the first impulse, losing the 2nd best leader in the game and the battle via nice card plays by Spain (I am Sud).

Been playing a ton of the Lord of the Rings living card game. I love deck construction games and this is played co-op or solo. I am loving it so far, but even the Core box quests are hard.

Peace

Roger

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just Downloaded all the rules, charts etc for GMT games 'Panzer' and all 3 add-on modules, looking at giving Scenario #1 'The Crossing' a bash later in the week. Anyone else have this game, and what do they think of it?

Cheers

Perry
Played a couple of the smaller scenarios. the basic game is too basic for an ASL player you will be disappointed in the level simplicity. If you feel you can comfortably add the advanced rules in your first playing I'd do so. We never went back to it after those first few games although had always intended to. After 2-3 games it isn't much to base an opinion on but the armour side feels more 'detailed' than ASL, the infantry less so. we didn't get around to adding infantry but given the size of the rules section it clearly contains a fraction of chapter A.

I would definitely play it again. The original core game has been OOP for some time and continues to languish on the GMT P500 reprint schedule despite an rapturous reception when first published. Copies are hard to come by on the secondary market and generally very expensive. Don't even think of getting a copy from the US postage will be astronomical. :crosseye: Huge amount of 'heft value' in the box as all the data cards are on heavy duty card. the Allied module AFV graphics are a bit too 'wishy-washy' and lack sufficient definition for my tastes.

AFV's are on large 1" counters and all are back printed. I eventually stored them in plastic coin pocket pages. One counter a pocket. made sorting for set up a breeze. :smoke:

Paul

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Besides ASL but including Eurogames, I have played the following since last summer...

La Bataille de la Moscowa (third edition)
Carcassonne
Napoleon at Leipzig (fifth edition)
Ticket to Ride
A Victory Lost

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just picked up Pax Pamir myself. Trying to wrap my head around. Seems like a great game, but I'll need to play it a few times before any semblance of strategy forms in my brain.
Indeed, it is a game that requires head-wrapping. Much like Pax Porfiriana, it is not quick to grasp with a single (or even a few) plays and the rules won't win any award. I feel like the Pax's try to do just a little too much sometimes. The attempt to juice the design with more mojo is not worth the trouble. JMHO. Nevertheless, an interesting theme and mechanics. Not sure I will reach for this game often, but fun/interesting to play with a good group.