Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seems to have slopes depicted all over it.
indeed it will :)

When designing anything for ASL you have to remember it's a game.

I tend toward the design for fun more than historical accuracy. Once you roll the first dice accuracy goes out the window and you're looking for fun.

I always start off taking a blank sheet of paper and drawing the map using colored pencils. This then gives me a base to transfer it to hexes. It's a lot of fun to watch a map come together to something you can play a scenario on. The map is kinda like the plot to a story.

Good luck and have fun. Also don't be afraid too ask questions here in the forums. There's a lot of good experience out there that can be of great help.
thanks Phlegm! I will most certainly asking questions, drawing on that experience is why I joined the forum. I knew I was going to need more input and advice than I could get from a few people.

As far as design for fun. Perhaps that is the way to do it. It was good advice not to lose sight of, in that my first concern is getting it right and accurate and will be the primary concern of everything I do through the design stages. Obviously if/when this project is completed and published I would hope that it would be liked and well received by those that got it. For me I suppose my first thought is to design for accuracy first and trust that players will find the product fun to play. It didn't take long to see that ASL player is a very critical one. I would rather have something I did trashed for not being as fun to play rather that be trashed for not being done well if you know what I mean. Hopefully I can do both :) Again though, the previous poster nailed it. This design will be a real challenge. This battle was not marked with a bunch of toys, it was an infantry action in tough conditions due to the terrain, and the general tactical and supply situations. I will count heavily on playtesters to give honest feedback on whether it is fun, and advice for how to make it fun yet still remain true to the action depicted. I really hope it sees the light of day, but the journey has been a great deal of fun in itself and have learned a lot. We'll see.

thanks for the thoughts!

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. Got my two copies of FB last night.
2. Fondled and caressed the first copy. Impressive maps and I love the unit designations.
3. Discovered that sheet #4 on both (Hungarian Infantry) were mis-cut.
4. Put the rules into sheet protectors.
5. Put all the scenario cards into sheet protectors, except the first four. Only needed one copy of those protected.
6. Put all the protected pages in a FB binder, so I could carry it around, study it, hold it, whisper sweet nothings to it.
7. Read the FB SSRs.
8. Read thru the first scenario. Very nice.
9. Pulled the pieces for The Grinding Mill as we're playtesting it Fridy night. I'm the Chinese. They look favored.
10. Called MMP this morning to get replacements for the countersheets.

Congrats to Bill C. on a fabulous looking module.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Clipping will cause you to go blind at a young age....
We're so far behind.:angry: Punched the rest, of Doomed Batalions tody. Still got to do the rest of Armies of Oblivion, all of CoS, and a little of FB.:eek: They're gonna have to wait till get back from my vacation.:D

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We're so far behind.:angry: Punched the rest, of Doomed Batalions tody. Still got to do the rest of Armies of Oblivion, all of CoS, and a little of FB.:eek: They're gonna have to wait till get back from my vacation.:D
Vacation?

How dare you 'relax' when your card-board warriors 'continue' to dangle from counters trees....

You are sooooooooooo cruel.....

Enjoy your vacation.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Or rolling hill of verious elevations. Does not have to be mountains peter dude. Plus, it gives me a chance to use BFP boards I and II.

Scott

In the Dutch Mountains ?

I guess every Level stands for one feet of elevation difference ?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Nah, less than that. Every dog **** is an elevated location in Holland.
Never a truer word you have to watch where you walk in some places over here there is so much of the stuff all over the place

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
In the Dutch Mountains ?

I guess every Level stands for one feet of elevation difference ?
Surprise for you all Holland does have an official mountain over 3,000 feet - the qualifing height , Found this out a few weeks ago whilst talking with some of my dutch co-workers!!