Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm currently half way through this one. The Japanese are trying to close with the Chinese but they have been whittled down some by effective Chinese fire. It loks like time is going to be a key element as the Japanese try to clear the Chinese out.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That the one with a bunch of pillboxes? I think I saw that at WO...looked good to me, too.
Yes.

I'm currently half way through this one. The Japanese are trying to close with the Chinese but they have been whittled down some by effective Chinese fire. It loks like time is going to be a key element as the Japanese try to clear the Chinese out.
How did the Bombardments fare?

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes.

How did the Bombardments fare?
Not overly effective. I had the Chinese dispersed quite a bit so they didn't get crushed early on. As I said it takes the Jpanese some time to get close to the defenses and time becomes their enemy. Fun scenario though. I see you said you had one dug in tank for the Chinese my version has two.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Today in ASL I rolled a 6,6 having just unhipped a 9-2, 5-4-8 HMG and fired at a 10-2 and two 4-5-8s which were non-assault moving.

The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another turn last night of the Japanese/Chinese playtest. It's looking like the Japanese are running out of time.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Uploaded the 2012 Canadian ASL Open flier to the Canadian ASL Association web page.

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finally able to start the most difficult stage of a design I've been working on. The scenarios/actions have all been sketched out and have been for some time, however without a map for terrain which geoboards can't represent playtest can not even really start since the terrain is so prominent in the battle (the reason I suppose why this battle has zero scenarios depicting it according to the scenario archive). However the most difficult step is finally under way this week, working on the map, this week I got the detailed topographic maps of the area I've been waiting forever for, and starting the very real challenge of putting it all on a playable map.

I haven't advertized it yet since the map is going to be such a challenge that I don't want to do so until I know that this design will in fact actually happen. I'm sure failed designs and designs that never come to fruition are as common as those those that do happen. However even if it doesn't, I've become as near an expert as can be on the particular subject having researched it for two years now lol. That is priceless in itself. What a fascinating campaign.

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An HASL set in the snow-bound mountains outside Narvik Norway. It recreates the offensive of the Norwegian 6th Brigade against Gruppe Windisch plus Fallschirmjäger troops.

this is the view of what the Norwegians were moving towards. Fascinating battle.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
An HASL set in the snow-bound mountains outside Narvik Norway. It recreates the offensive of the Norwegian 6th Brigade against Gruppe Windisch plus Fallschirmjäger troops.

this is the view of what the Norwegians were moving towards. Fascinating battle.

Takes my breath away.

Very difficult to scenario-design.....good luck !

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Are we talking about level 50 or level 100 terrain?

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Takes my breath away.

Very difficult to scenario-design.....good luck !
chuckles.

Thanks a lot, and I'll need it I'm sure. I do like a challenge, it is a great motivator. Couple that with the personal interest and time/financial commitment factors that ASLSarge mentioned in the other thread, and you have a potent fuel to see the project through to fruition. To be honest I really didn't plan on saying anything about it until it had progressed further but was sort of overcome by joy to be able to move to the next steps of this project and had to mention it.

Designing it and doing it to the high standards I put upon it myself will be challenge enough. However getting it right and accurate won't be the only challenge. I got some great advice privately from a member here, doing an accurate HASL is just not enough. It is still a game and has to be FUN to play. That was great advice indeed!

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When designing anything for ASL you have to remember it's a game.

I tend toward the design for fun more than historical accuracy. Once you roll the first dice accuracy goes out the window and you're looking for fun.

I always start off taking a blank sheet of paper and drawing the map using colored pencils. This then gives me a base to transfer it to hexes. It's a lot of fun to watch a map come together to something you can play a scenario on. The map is kinda like the plot to a story.

Good luck and have fun. Also don't be afraid too ask questions here in the forums. There's a lot of good experience out there that can be of great help.