So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bruno and I finished J175 BEDBURG BITE, a scenario with interesting VC. I had the German defenders. I put the mines in the building hexes in front of the stone buildings. I had the 81 behind a hedge to cover the woods line on the Canadian right. Cdns tripped two of them and got stuck for the duration. Bruno had bad luck with his smoke mortars. His light mortar team was eliminated while trying to get into position to smoke the German 81. That light mortar was never possessed again. One Churchill went down to a PF. Kangaroos carried three squads and a leader to 3 point area; two made it. Germans gave up first two stone buildings on turn 3. By then, they had people in the 5 point building. Bruno conceded because of infantry casualties on turn 5.
Amazing how many different ways this small scenario is played. If one took a quick look at it you would think it would have little replay value, but it's certainly not the case. A very good scenario.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Amazing how many different ways this small scenario is played. If one took a quick look at it you would think it would have little replay value, but it's certainly not the case. A very good scenario.
I am very happy that the 'point salad' victory conditions are well-received. You will see more scenarios using this model.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I am very happy that the 'point salad' victory conditions are well-received. You will see more scenarios using this model.
These are challenging to calibrate (from the designer side) and to handle (from the player side) but constitute a welcome relief from the single building control VC-type.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Last night Christian B. and I completed our playing of A107 The Red Wave. It was pretty epic!

After a quick count of potentially exiting units, I had to abandon the 24 VP exit option by the start of my Turn 4. The loss of one tank and my Commissar (to keep our brokies moving) pretty much killed that option. So it was all about taking all stone buildings in the center of the board 42 village. Christian's SS were solidly holed up, with only one fatal error - 3 squads and one 8-0 were stacked in one building, instead of spread out.

To take out this magnificent strongpoint, my T26 was the only option, so I drove it into the building, where it Bogged. Only one of the three SS squads passed their PAATC and the one that did could not destroy it (needed a 6 CC DR). This allowed my Communist horde to close in....still leaving big risks for the CCPh.....but to my shock I rolled Snake Eyes on my best Advancing Fire shot (8+2), which broke the ENTIRE stack of 8 morale fascists.

No Quarter was invoked and Christian's OB shrank from 6.5 to 3.5 squads in one single moment. Delightful (if hardly deserved).

Things were now looking up for me, but there was more ASL action to come. The SS held two more stone buildings, one with a 2-4-8/HMG/8-1 combo and one with a LMG-toting squad. In the last SS Prep Fire Phase, the HMG went on a MAGNIFICENT ROF tear, firing 6 or 7 times, rolling several 3 and 4 IFT results. This broke 5 of my MMC, most of them in stone buildings. I was grateful for the fixed Covered Arc rule or he may have just mowed down another 2 or 3 squads in another direction. However, during this firing frenzy, one of his 3s triggered a 1 Sniper, which broke his ONLY other squad holding a building.

In my final Turn I could therefore concentrate all available resources against the HMG freak. In good style, I managed to Encircle them, hit them on an Intensive Fire shot from the T26, rolling Snake Eyes on the 4 FP IFT result - mortally wounding the leader and pinning the HS. My Soviets then rushed in and finished them off in CC of the last Turn....

In a way this is a great scenario for two quite uneven opponents, where the experienced player takes the Russians. To make this scenario anywhere near competitive, you would need to add at least one T26 to the Russian OB (so the Exit VP remain a possibility even after loosing one tank to the ATR or INF gun). But we had great fun with it......the change of Orchards into Shellholes is a huge transformation for board 42 - should be done more often...... even if Shellholes are the Magic Terrain of ASL (making foxholes look like jumping castles).

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Last edited:

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RAFFS RULES I lost by one lousy half CVP....the half CVP that he bought as the US player pre game.

I WAS winning until he fired at my 9-1, 467 with the HMG. NMC....the 9-1 rolls.... 12, dies of wound. Squad, breaks from the NMC, then 12 on the LLMC. 4 CVPs just...like...that.

I love ASL.....it's a cool game but it'll break your heart....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Liehr Launches First [HF4] Maybe I should change "Launches" to "Lunches." Second trip in two weeks to Hatten, France with Dave Stephens who this time had the Americans defending. Game start okay for the Germans who did an end around on their right flank. Of course, there was a hidden M-10 but he missed my Mark IV which was armor assaulting. I dispatched it in the U.S. turn one with a lucky "Schreck" hit. It is tough to assault stone buildings in Hatten and I soon had a lot of broken and ELR-ed units but my tank force save my one Panther (MA malf) was intact. Turn five I made an all out effort to get the key I26 VP hex he by running my good order Panther to the empty building but an APCR hit from the Hellcat stopped this. I only had one Mark IV now as my other Panther was recalled and the other Mark IV destroyed by a BAZ. I threw the rest of my infantry against the stone buildings guarding the way to the all important backfield victory hexes. Surviving most of the DF I went into suicidal CC attacks at less than 1-1 hoping for ambush and won two with HtoH crushing the center defense. In the American turn five my Mark IV killed or broke three squads and all the remaining American leaders leaving only one squad left to guard the rear with two M-18 Hellcats. Afraid to lose these tanks to PF's, he backed them too far back from the rear area such that I was able to walk into the seven building hexes I needed to win. A strategic mistake in that by putting these in bypass in two of the building hexes it would have been tough for me to win.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played HG-3 Cohort and the Phalanx coming up just short of the victory as the defending Italians. Interesting scenario as the Italians have to run across a bridge in the middle of the playing area with a turn 1 entering force, while the onboard force must wait until one of them crosses the bridge before they can try and make a run for it. The Greeks took some risks early when they entered and I gained a quick 3 CVP (18 VP for the Italians to win {CVP + units on the other side of the bridge}). After that, the Greeks slowed a bit but steady pressure took out my pickets. Guns started malfunctioning for me making it hard stem the tide. Luckily, I was able to repair most, but their temporary loss hurt.

So, the game boiled down to a ridiculous ending. As my men ran across the bridge, they started to break. This allowed them to rout the rest of the way across the bridge. A couple of well placed Greek MMGs had bearing on the bridge, but the manning infantry broke from time to time giving me gaps until they remanned them with returning units. With a turn and a half left, I called it because of sportsmanship. Crossing the bridge thanks to routing broken units vs skill on my part seems to violate the spirit of the game. If every broken unit on the west side of the bridge rallied, I would have had exactly 18 VPs. It wasn't going to be easy with a couple of broken conscripts (one a half squad), a leader, and an elite squad. There was no way my friend was going to be able to keep them DM, and with three tries left in the game, there was a chance. However, I thought this was just too sleazy a way to win so I let it go. Maybe they would have rallied; maybe not. It would have been interesting to try, but I don't think it would have been worth the bitter aftertaste in both of our mouths to steal an otherwise hard fought battle like that. Now if I were on a long losing streak, on the other hand...nah.

Fun scenario and definitely unusual. I'd recommend it for either side.

Oh yeah, the highlight of the game for me was when the aforementioned broken elite squad made 4(!) interdiction MCs (not even a pin!) to not only cross the bridge, but also get out of normal range of the MMG that was interdicting it. Pure luck - but exciting!

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Old Friends BFP-121 I had a chance to play test this, but I was scared off by the size. Finally tried it. Large combined arms German attack on Polish Village, armored Polish response. Toys everywhere. The German recon element came on Bd17, and took the board within a couple of turns. (My screening force was hit from 2 directions, and they weren't set for that.) The main body came on the west edge of BPF Q, and hit a buzzsaw. The 37mm ATG was on fire, killing Panzer after Panzer. The took the church, but lost it. The recon element got onto the QT6 hill and, then into the heart of the village.QO7 changed hands 3 times, QY6, twice. Bloodbath for both sides. Narrow Polish victory. Very fun back and forth. Play it!

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pure luck - but exciting!
Yeah, many of us in this hobby complain of dicings or seek balance like the grail, but face it, those pure luck streaks make the game real fun. And some of the most exciting true WWII stories had a huge element of luck too.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah, many of us in this hobby complain of dicings or seek balance like the grail, but face it, those pure luck streaks make the game real fun. And some of the most exciting true WWII stories had a huge element of luck too.
Luck never made a GROFAZ.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Plum Pudding Hill RPT 146 Pusan Perimeter '50. Small British force flanks a small North Korean unit, with one 105mm armed Pershing in support. I don't think I did my best with the NKPA. I should have launched the Suicide Heroes sooner, if nothing else to draw fire away from the trench complex. My HMG did well at first, wiping out 2 squads, and wounding the Brit 9-2. After that, it was WP for everyone, with the British nibbling away at the NKs in CC. My reinforcements didn't dare run to the trenches, but maybe should have. I tried to have them get the main Brit assault in a cross fire. British win. Nice little scenario.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Erik Lindblad and I played HF4 Liehr Launches First. I set up to take a lot of shots at Germans with -1 or -2 DRM. I had one M10 on each flank in orchard hexes. I had one mortar on each flank in a foxhole in an orchard hex. I put two foxholes near the rear buildings to give me more options back there, but I realize now that was illegal. Erik pushed all the infantry on the German right and left an MMG to cover the road that cut the town in two. The tanks all prep fired on turn one. Erik used lots of half squads. One of the Pz4 got no smoke. I was a little lucky during Erik's first movement and obtained lots of broken Germans and a few dead ones. Some of his flankers went pretty far. On my first turn, I needed to send two squads, an MMG and a leader back to the rear buildings. My left mortar did wonderful work breaking German infantry for a couple of turns before the team had to self break to avoid CC. My left M10 became surrounded by infantry while still HIP. I revealed it, fired the MA point blank; rolled 11. Intensive fire; roll 10. Fire the AAMG; another 10. It was dead soon after that. My right side mortar dismantled and raced back and set up to cover the approaches to the rear buildings. The bulk of my troops from the front slowly pulled back using the buildings. It was a long time before I could shift any troops from my right to my left across the street covered by the MMG. The two bazookas ended up on the left side as well. Out of several bazooka shots during the game, I had no luck. Two shots at a Pz4 got one hit and the shell bounced. Two shots to try to DI an adjacent Panther did not work either. My two M18 came in on my right and needed to be careful to avoid being shot by a Panther. One went deep into the German rear. The other went between buildings on my right to fire at German infantry on the left. One managed to run behind a Pz4 and stage a simultaneous gun duel that I won to destroy the Pz4. My mortar immobilized the other Pz4 near the rear victory buildings. With that victory point taken away from the Germans, in the last turn I sent the two M18 far away from the Panthers. We had only one CC and it and ended in mutual destruction and that was in turn five for the special early bonus building, so I denied that point as well. On the last German turn, Erik did not have enough infantry to take the two more buildings that he needed for 6 points. We both enjoyed the scenario a lot.

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Erik Lindblad and I played HF4 Liehr Launches First. We both enjoyed the scenario a lot.
Played out similar to my game but most of the American Infantry died by the last turn with my left flank attack also being successful. The point denial by moving the M28's as noted above left the American with nothing to stop me from getting the last two buildings. Ditto on liking this scenario.