OH NO! Pitman's left the ASL forum in a huff...AGAIN!

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Personally, I think this is a fallacy. The merit of a person is determined not by how he treats his betters or his equals, but in how you treat those who are less than you are. On the Internet, everyone is a lesser. Who you are on the Internet is who you would be in person if you didn't have to worry about facing the repercussions of your bad behavior. Personally, I find it impossible to separate the "Internet persona" from "Real life" character because in my heart, I know the "real life" guy would prefer to be the "Internet persona" if he could get away with it. If you tend to be a jerk here, I tend to stay away from you in real life. Call me crazy, but life is too short to try and sort it all out. I would rather play ASL with people whose company I know I enjoy or I feel I have a reasonable chance to enjoy. Just my .02. YMMV. -- jim
I had not considered this POV, but it's well said, thought-provoking (literally) and I think there's a lot of truth in it.

S

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
The internet is like alcohol - it lowers one's inhibitions and lets the real person loose.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The internet is like alcohol - it lowers one's inhibitions and lets the real person loose.

I don't entirely agree; it does seem to allow the darker angels of one's nature a looser rein, but I don't think everyone (with few exceptions) are quite the b@st@rds they allow themselves to be online at times.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Personally, I think this is a fallacy. The merit of a person is determined not by how he treats his betters or his equals, but in how you treat those who are less than you are. On the Internet, everyone is a lesser. Who you are on the Internet is who you would be in person if you didn't have to worry about facing the repercussions of your bad behavior. Personally, I find it impossible to separate the "Internet persona" from "Real life" character because in my heart, I know the "real life" guy would prefer to be the "Internet persona" if he could get away with it. If you tend to be a jerk here, I tend to stay away from you in real life. Call me crazy, but life is too short to try and sort it all out. I would rather play ASL with people whose company I know I enjoy or I feel I have a reasonable chance to enjoy. Just my .02. YMMV. -- jim
Only too true too often. Repped you for that.

I may be a bit odd (cue Psycho) but I think I am a bit more restrained and precise when posting. The Internet is a very stark and impersonal medium lacking the normal face to face cues. Smilies and the like only go a little way to soften this. I thus have to think more carefully about what I post. In person I am more voluble and probably a bit more obnoxious.

I feel I am posting to equals but also that everyone deserves normal human respect until they do or say something to loose that. That applies online or face to face.
I had not considered this POV, but it's well said, thought-provoking (literally) and I think there's a lot of truth in it.

S
Agreed!
It can also make you be very careful when attempting to walk somewhere. Look at how long a drunk takes to pick his path!

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I don't entirely agree; it does seem to allow the darker angels of one's nature a looser rein, but I don't think everyone (with few exceptions) are quite the b@st@rds they allow themselves to be online at times.
I'm definitely far more polite....and considerably more tolerant of tomfoolery in real life.
Having said that I did once get into trouble for twatting a Manchester City fan who called me a paedophile outside Maine Road.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, I am...just ask anyone.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally, I find it impossible to separate the "Internet persona" from "Real life" character because in my heart, I know the "real life" guy would prefer to be the "Internet persona" if he could get away with it.
Gee Jim, you are such a nice guy in real life. :devious: :p :laugh:

DerBlitzer

Reaction score
Country
llTurkey
I'm definitely far more polite....and considerably more tolerant of tomfoolery in real life.
Having said that I did once get into trouble for twatting a Manchester City fan who called me a paedophile outside Maine Road.
I have a number of English relatives, but I have not heard this verb before...what exactly does it involve? And what trouble resulted? :)

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
I have a number of English relatives, but I have not heard this verb before...what exactly does it involve? And what trouble resulted? :)
Thump / hit / smack / belt / punch. Typically a single punch to the head. 'Twat' being pronunced in similar way to 'hat'. e.g.

"Someone twat that smug bastard"
"He got a right twatting"

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like Pitman. He can be curt and stubborn, and I can say that because there's no mirror close by. He's good for the forum, creates discussion, thought and controversy. He also starts good topics. He drives me nuts sometimes, but most of you do too. Any time we lose a member it's a bad day for all of us.

Hammering on someone after they're gone is bad form. Pay it forward, don't kick him when they're down.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
I like Pitman. He can be curt and stubborn, and I can say that because there's no mirror close by. He's good for the forum, creates discussion, thought and controversy. He also starts good topics. He drives me nuts sometimes, but most of you do too. Any time we lose a member it's a bad day for all of us.

Hammering on someone after they're gone is bad form. Pay it forward, don't kick him when they're down.
I'd like to rep you for that, Rob, but I have to wait and spread some before.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania

The fact the people seem to keep talking about him lends credence to his self-centered outlook, no?

<shrug>

He has his moments. He does start an interesting topic now & again. More often than not, he is self-righteous to the point of arrogance.

No law or Forum rule against that, and in the grand scheme of things that happen around here, that is a relatively minor sin.