OH NO! Pitman's left the ASL forum in a huff...AGAIN!

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
My reaction to Pitman is very, very mixed. He has contributed greatly to ASL and the ASL community. He has the ability to cut through BS and muddled thinking. He is clearly well educated and keeps up with developments and discoveries in history.

However he can be very abrasive and too often sticks doggedly to shaky or dubious positions. His online persona sometimes or even often undermines the cause or position that he supports. Maybe some of that comes from what he has to deal with in real life. It is not that he is the worst here, there are others from whom you expect no better, but that given his intelligence and education you expect and hope for better from him.

My attitude towards him is not antagonistic but more of occasional sadness and disappointment. Sometimes I feel like shouting "Stop Digging". On the plus side he is challenging and a very good devil's advocate.
Well said, pervert! :angry: :clap:

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like Pitdude well enough. I think some of his stances are a bit silly, but hey, I'm sure people think some of mine are, too.

But I have to laugh at the drama of getting somebody else to post his DM updates so everybody is aware he's not posting anymore.

As far the Push Buttons thread goes..........You're asking for it in a thread like that.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My reaction to Pitman is very, very mixed. He has contributed greatly to ASL and the ASL community. He has the ability to cut through BS and muddled thinking. He is clearly well educated and keeps up with developments and discoveries in history.

However he can be very abrasive and too often sticks doggedly to shaky or dubious positions. His online persona sometimes or even often undermines the cause or position that he supports. Maybe some of that comes from what he has to deal with in real life. It is not that he is the worst here, there are others from whom you expect no better, but that given his intelligence and education you expect and hope for better from him.

My attitude towards him is not antagonistic but more of occasional sadness and disappointment. Sometimes I feel like shouting "Stop Digging". On the plus side he is challenging and a very good devil's advocate.
Absolutely sums it all up. We should be able to hail Mark as the "ASL Guy," but he's just not easy to love.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
With all due respect Swifty - We've been here a while and we know what we're talking about.
Agreed. stay around for 6 months or so and see what happens when he disagrees with someone......

But, I freely admit to thinking, in person, mark is an OK guy.

Peace

Roger

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
We should be able to hail Mark as the "ASL Guy," but he's just not easy to love.
Agreed that we should! He sometimes can be as cuddly as his picture but more often fairly prickly. It can also be said that he is aware of his "complex" online persona and is not above poking fun at himself.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
OK, time to quit fooling around. I'm not too long on the forum, but from what I've experienced, Pitman hasn't been offensive to me, sometimes he had veeery different opinions than me, but he stated them in a polite way, at least in my opinion. Then again, I'm not the guy who likes to argue and seek agreement over anything else, so maybe that's the reason of my feelings towards him. As my age-old master said, "avoid fight, if you can, because even without it you have enough enemies".

I'm not trying to be devil's advocate, as far as I know most people here they don't share animosities between themselves without a reason. It's not my war, though. Guess that it's mostly the "A post too far" syndrome. Then again, we're all humans, and this is public forum, better to yell with caps lock, than to kick the sh*t out of your dog ;).

Besides, I'm Pole, I'm used to strange policy ideas over past 70 years.

Peace out, my lovers.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Agreed that we should! He sometimes can be as cuddly as his picture but more often fairly prickly. It can also be said that he is aware of his "complex" online persona and is not above poking fun at himself.
Yes. But then when you disagree with him he can really start banging the table, and it spirals out of control. I recall him saying he was "embarrassed that I was part of the hobby" when I said the type of people who might be attracted by redesigned multi-coloured counters might not be what we're looking for as new blood (I'm happy with the simple 70's style of counter). I can tell you I thought that was going a bit far.

There is also definitely an air about him that he feels himself above the rest of us. Who else would write a line at the end of a book review:

"Those people in the other thread who only seek popcorn military history for light entertainment can ignore this posting. Those people interested in actual East Front fighting should check this book out."

(OK maybe Dorosh)

I'll be honest, it makes me want to kick the pedestal out from under him. I can't resist it. I don't like it in myself but it is definitely there.

At least he's not Doltst. I just want to put a pedestal on him.

Edit: I just read through the Cholm thread, having decided to buy the module just now. You should see him on what makes a historian...

Last edited:

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
chuckles.

A drama queen? Makes sense considering the image he projects on line. One that wouldn't surprise me that was completely different from his real life demeanor. The internet generally brings out the worse in people.

I think he took a instant dislike to me, which is easy enough I suppose. The internet brings out the worst in me I suppose. I like him though, even voted for him in favorite member here. Even better he solicited for votes lol.

Come back Mark. I don't come here much, would even less without you around.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I think most of us should use the "Preview Post" button and think carefully before using the "Submit Reply" button. :D

Online text lacks the subtlety of face to face conversation with voice tone and facial expression moderating the raw words.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I think most of us should use the "Preview Post" button and think carefully before using the "Submit Reply" button. :D

Online text lacks the subtlety of face to face conversation with voice tone and facial expression moderating the raw words.
Luckily we have smilies to convey our thoughts and feelings, pervert! :angry:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
The internet generally brings out the worse in people.
Personally, I think this is a fallacy. The merit of a person is determined not by how he treats his betters or his equals, but in how you treat those who are less than you are. On the Internet, everyone is a lesser. Who you are on the Internet is who you would be in person if you didn't have to worry about facing the repercussions of your bad behavior. Personally, I find it impossible to separate the "Internet persona" from "Real life" character because in my heart, I know the "real life" guy would prefer to be the "Internet persona" if he could get away with it. If you tend to be a jerk here, I tend to stay away from you in real life. Call me crazy, but life is too short to try and sort it all out. I would rather play ASL with people whose company I know I enjoy or I feel I have a reasonable chance to enjoy. Just my .02. YMMV. -- jim

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As someone who has gone a round or two in the past with the Pitman, I am reminded of the days of the one kid in the playground who had to set the rules, tell everyone how to behave and then run the game. When things weren't 'fun' for him or he was losing, that same kid would change the rules mid game or stomp off and go into the corner and pout.

Hey that kid was me. Good thing I have grown up a bit. Hopefully I will continue to grow up, but still have some fun. :)

Anyway, give the guy a fair shake, but I have seen enough to have formed my opinion and feel that Glennbo and Trev aren't far off the 'Mark' in their opinions.