New members introduce yourself here

sneo

Singapore ASL'er
Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
Thanks for the recommendation. Will probably wait for 2nd edition reprint and get the said modules when I have the chance. =)

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the recommendation. Will probably wait for 2nd edition reprint and get the said modules when I have the chance. =)
Welcome to the world of ASL Stanley.

I have spent several years acquiring various modules and scenario packs for the game. I got back into the game again after a long break, and had to buy everything from scratch. But frankly, once you have the rule book and Beyond Valor, you will have plenty to keep you occupied. If you are comfortable with VASL, then a rule book will suffice for the time being.

There are lots of people who will play on VASL, and they likely will have access to a great many more scenario cards. This is important, because the core modules generally do not contain many "beginner" scenarios, that is, scenarios with only infantry units and basic rules. Even Paratrooper, an old "intro" module, is not the best, although some of the scenarios are quite good. (Just got one in stock last week, in fact.)

If your local game store in Singapore regularly stocks ASL modules, you may want to ask them how much a copy of the rule book would be. Shipping to Singapore from North America is costly for anything over 2kg. The rule book, and some of the older modules like Yanks fall into this category once packed in a box.

We have sold most of our stock of rule books in the past few months, but our KitShop (see my blog below) still has four copies remaining as of today. They are priced the same as those from MMP. Hopefully you can find an affordable local supplier, and save on the shipping.

All the best,

Chris

talic

Recruit
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Name's Cody and I'm new here, and to ASL. So far I'm loving it and I hope to eventually know enough to actually throw my hat into few of the discussions around here!

Curtis Brooks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where in Wisconsin are you, Cody? I'm in Elk Mound, which is between Menomonie and Eau Claire, on the Western side of the state. There are 4 die hard ASL'ers over here. Look us up if you're close.

Curtis

talic

Recruit
Reaction score
Yeah, I spoke to Earthpig a few days ago about Wisconsin ASL'ers, but unfortunately I live in Milwaukee, so it'd be quite a drive to your neck of the woods :/

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yeah, I spoke to Earthpig a few days ago about Wisconsin ASL'ers, but unfortunately I live in Milwaukee, so it'd be quite a drive to your neck of the woods :/
If you can hook up with them for the day it may well be a reasonable drive after all. Welcome here and don't worry about waiting to learn stuff before throwing your hat in, the rest of us never let that stop us;)

Ian

tecatefil

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok just found this thread so you will get post #2
I’m Phil, started playing squad leader when I was 12 in 84. Played the heck out of for the rest of the 80’s then from 90’s on, only every once in awhile. My 11 year step son show a real interest in it and after we played the first scenario I figured instead of teaching yet another person how to take “the tractor works“, I might as well try ASL.
Jumped in to it before I knew what I was doing and made a few mistake purchase on e-bay. Then I found about MMP and, not only were there people out there playing ASL but it’s a “living game” (in hind sight that made the price points on E-bay much more logical) :)
So I’m starting on ASLSK#1 with the intention to get to ASL ASAP.

Last edited:

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok just found this thread so you will get post #2
I’m Phil, started playing squad leader when I was 12 in 84. Played the heck out of for the rest of the 80’s then from 90’s on, only every once in awhile. My 11 year step son show a real interest in it and after we played the first scenario I figured instead of teaching yet another person how to take “the tractor works“, I might as well try ASL.
Jumped in to it before I knew what I was doing and made a few mistake purchase on e-bay. Then I found about MMP and, not only were there people out there playing ASL but it’s a “living game” (in hind sight that made the price points on E-bay much more logical) :)
So I’m starting on ASLSK#1 with the intention to get to ASL ASAP.
It's a fun journey and having the opertunity to take it with your step son makes it even more special. Good luck with it and hope you have the patience to track down the gear. Not all of it has to be expensive if you take your time. Post a request on Trade Sell ASL (I know you found that earlier) with anything you are after and someone might be able to help you out with parts or the whole thing. Plenty of other people than MMP make ASL product but my advice is to stick to old Avalon Hill and MMP stuff for the time being until you are happy that you will stick at the game and have enough of the official product to make other suppliers product more useful.

Guys here will help you out as much as possible

Ian

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi Phil,

Welcome back to the hobby and to this forum. ASL is excellent fun. I hope you enjoy gettig into it.

Jan.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi, my name is Vaughn I live in the Quad Cities in Illinois. Been playing ASL and squad leader for 20 years.
Welcome Vaughn,

hope you like it around here. If you lack FTF opponents you can sometimes find somone local to yourself in opponents wanted

Cheers
Ian

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, my name is Vaughn I live in the Quad Cities in Illinois. Been playing ASL and squad leader for 20 years.
You should try to come to Winter War in Champaign at the end of January. Lots of Illinois guys there and usually some of the Iowa contingent.

JT