New members introduce yourself here

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello all,

I had every intention of learning to play this game but somehow always manage to never quite get around to it. Who knows, maybe this time I'll fare better? So I have quite a bit of kit but not much clue what to do with it. I've also just bought a second edition rule book, so that should arrive this week. I hope it helps. Oh yeah - also tried installing VASL on my MAC but couldnt get it to work. Is that a common problem?

Anyway. Hi. Hopefully this time around I'll actually manage to complete a game. :)
I echo Eion, regards VASL, Mac is a little difficult but is very possible. You will find threads that cover that problem.

We have a large active group in the Manchester/Liverpool area and Martin Mayers lives in Haywood but is a Cheshire lad. (I am playing him on VASL tonight if you get it running, just look for PHD) I recomend Skype once you are running, makes it much easier and almost FTF.

You just missed Blackpool Heroes which will be 10th March weekend next year. A great way to learn and if you don't fancy the tournament plenty of guys will be available for games outside the tourny. I took my 17 year old Nephew this year. The sod played 11 games over 4 days and his skill levels have shot up (he was a not bad player). Follow the threads here as well.

I run a blog with links to other ASL (and other games) blogs which give you an idea on whats out there. Once you start to play all falls into place and it gets loads of fun.

Ian

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good afternoon all.

I've joined recently the forum and been lurking some days reading many old and current posts before introducing myself.

I played SL back in the early eighties and started playing ASL, but very little, beginning the nineties. There was a very long lull, though I kept spending money on ASL core modules and many, many other modules I could lay my hands on (many CH as these were sold at my local shop), so I became a ASL collector rather than a gamer.

Now I want to play ASL again, so I bought the 2nd edition rules and I'm still learning them but I've already played a couple of simple games with a friend in a similar situation. I'm effectively an inexperienced green but I hope to catch anytime soon.

And I live in Madrid, Spain. Glad to meet you, gents.
Get in touch with mgmasl (Also in Spain), he's a great contributor here on the forum and an all around good guy. I'm sure he would be happy to help you get some games under your belt and he's very good at the rules ro boot! Welcome aboard, and good hunting - Steel on Target!

theboeh

Recruit
Reaction score
Hi,

A couple weeks ago I picked up Starter Kit #1. I've only gotten to play one game so far. Despite butchering the rules, I was amazed at how awesome it was. I'm hooked. I find myself wanting to spend too much money buying modules and can't wait to organize all those counters.

I do have a question though: What's up with all the out of print modules? If you go on MMP's site it seems like half the 'core' modules are out of print. Any idea what's happening there?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

A couple weeks ago I picked up Starter Kit #1. I've only gotten to play one game so far. Despite butchering the rules, I was amazed at how awesome it was. I'm hooked. I find myself wanting to spend too much money buying modules and too can't wait to organize all those counters.

I do have a question though: What's up with all the out of print modules? If you go on MMP's site it seems like half the 'core' modules are out of print. Any idea what's happening there?
Welcome to ASL. You're right, it is awesome.

As for the OoP, it's mostly a question of economics, both of time and money. Print runs are limited since it's a small market and when they sell out, there has to be a certain demand (read: preorder number) met to reprint them. Compounding this is the fact that most old modules are pre-digital and take significant work to "re-create." Now, all that said, MMP's hiring of a full-time ASL person (Chas Argent) in the last couple years has made a huge difference. Stuff is coming out at a near-record pace now. You've actually found a good time to get in. Get a rulebook (a challenge at the moment, but soon to be reprinted) and Beyond Valor and you have a lot of stuff. For King and Country is right around the corner and Rising Sun not too far off. Yanks! is in the reprint pipeline, but a bit off, so if you can grab it in the secondary market (you should be able to), you can have a large chunk of the core in the next couple years. The Map Bundle and forthcoming Overlay Bundle also allow more of the system to be purchased than has been possible in a long time.

It will take effort. It will take cash. It will take some patience.

It will be worth it.

Did I say welcome to ASL? :)

S

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to ASL. You're right, it is awesome.

As for the OoP, it's mostly a question of economics, both of time and money. Print runs are limited since it's a small market and when they sell out, there has to be a certain demand (read: preorder number) met to reprint them. Compounding this is the fact that most old modules are pre-digital and take significant work to "re-create." Now, all that said, MMP's hiring of a full-time ASL person (Chas Argent) in the last couple years has made a huge difference. Stuff is coming out at a near-record pace now. You've actually found a good time to get in. Get a rulebook (a challenge at the moment, but soon to be reprinted) and Beyond Valor and you have a lot of stuff. For King and Country is right around the corner and Rising Sun not too far off. Yanks! is in the reprint pipeline, but a bit off, so if you can grab it in the secondary market (you should be able to), you can have a large chunk of the core in the next couple years. The Map Bundle and forthcoming Overlay Bundle also allow more of the system to be purchased than has been possible in a long time.

It will take effort. It will take cash. It will take some patience.

It will be worth it.

Did I say welcome to ASL? :)

S
Don't listen to the "S" dude.....

He's trolling for some NEW ASL player to "pad" his WIN count......

B E W A R E . . . .. . .

(BTW, he's a good chap that really wants to move south for the winter)

Russell Williams

Potatoe Peeler 3rd Class
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Don't listen to the "S" dude.....

He's trolling for some NEW ASL player to "pad" his WIN count......

B E W A R E . . . .. . .

(BTW, he's a good chap that really wants to move south for the winter)
Don't worry, you'll get him back. We're considering reporting him as an illegal immigrant; if he continues to run amok through the Toronto ASL scene.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Hi,

A couple weeks ago I picked up Starter Kit #1. I've only gotten to play one game so far. Despite butchering the rules, I was amazed at how awesome it was. I'm hooked. I find myself wanting to spend too much money buying modules and can't wait to organize all those counters.

Welcome.

My advice - pick up all of the MMP core products that are in print, and if there's anything else you would like, try ebay. Some patience and/or deep pockets may be required if you want the entire core system, however I am confident we'll see For King and Country and Hakke Palle soon.

theboeh

Recruit
Reaction score
My advice - pick up all of the MMP core products that are in print, and if there's anything else you would like, try ebay.
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion. At my FLGS I orders Beyond Valor and Valor of the Guards. That's my budget for the next 2 months. After that hopefully the ASLRB will be available. I'm also going to keep my eyes open on Ebay for YANKS.

So while I wait for the ASLRB I'll keep myself busy organizing all those little counters.

servo19

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you need a copy of the 1st edition rules I have an extra copy of them. They are sufficient to play Beyond Valor. I recently got the 2nd edition off eBay so I can send one of my 1st to a new home. Shoot me a pm if you are interested.

Black Hound70

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello!
My name is Eric T. I'm back at playing ASL after 6 years of inaction.
I'm rediscovering this awesome game. It is so complex and fun, I just love it.

I almost never played face to face... where i'm from there are no aslers. :(
So I play on VASL :) this software really makes it fun to play ASL. Anyway I'm too clumsy with my big fingers to like playing face to face. The cardboard stacks just tumble all over the place :(

I discovered this forum recently and I'm really impressed by the vibrant community of ASL players! I'll be around quite a bit I think!

Cheers,

Eric T.
:)

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Why don't they sell digital versions on iBooks when it is done? :hmmm: I would buy that for my iPad for sure! :clown:

:) my 2 cents
It seems that MMP do not own the Electrical Media rights, it's even possible that AH had sold these pre Hasbro buy out.

Ian

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Why don't they sell digital versions on iBooks when it is done? :hmmm: I would buy that for my iPad for sure! :clown:

:) my 2 cents
As would we all, but since they cannot we just have to use illegal one that people do themselves!

Black Hound70

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It seems that MMP do not own the Electrical Media rights, it's even possible that AH had sold these pre Hasbro buy out.

Ian
Yes but a digital version of a printed material is something a little bit different than a video game for example.:crosseye: I'm guessing it would be possible.... where did you get your info from :hmmm:?

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yes but a digital version of a printed material is something a little bit different than a video game for example.:crosseye: I'm guessing it would be possible.... where did you get your info from :hmmm:?
Your view is somewhat what mine is, I assumed they could do this as it is not a game per see. But others on the forum say not, though I do not know how much this is based on fact or just repeated comments (as per mine)

Love to see it, though their is plenty of good copies out there (I still cart a real book around the country with me LOL)

sneo

Singapore ASL'er
Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
greetings

I stumbled upon ASL while searching for a hex-based military alternative to Steel Panthers after having a real pain to get it to work properly in Windows7. Have downloaded VASL and lurk around to see how gameplay is like and seems to be what I am looking for. Would like to start directly in ASL rather than ASLSK, many pages of complex rules is fine as I played AD&D to D&D. To facilitate purchases, I would like to understand what other modules would I need to get all the rules necessary to play, asides ASL Rulebook 2nd edition.

Stanley (Singapore)

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
greetings

I stumbled upon ASL while searching for a hex-based military alternative to Steel Panthers after having a real pain to get it to work properly in Windows7. Have downloaded VASL and lurk around to see how gameplay is like and seems to be what I am looking for. Would like to start directly in ASL rather than ASLSK, many pages of complex rules is fine as I played AD&D to D&D. To facilitate purchases, I would like to understand what other modules would I need to get all the rules necessary to play, asides ASL Rulebook 2nd edition.

Stanley (Singapore)
Hi Stanley

first I think we have the odd player in Singapore, it would do you well to find them. Advertise in Opponents wanted and post in the main forum something like does anyone know someone in...........

2nd Edition rules are out of print at the moment so if you can find one grab it. Otherwise plenty of old 1st edition around and if you struggle to find one, drop me a line and for cost of postage I will send you one (would be free to post but out of work at the moment)

You will also need Beyond Valour which is as much as you need to start yourself off. After that you have a few problems as Yanks is out of print and no word when it will be back (several years is a good guess) so if you see one grab it. For King and Country is back in stock so you can have the majority of the main combatants. I would recommend just rules and Beyond Valour at this stage (but if Yanks is cheap grab it as you would be able to sell for a profit anyway). After that play and see how you go. VASL opens up the world for you to play and as such life is good.

If you find it's your thing then grab old annuals and Journals that are for some reason fairly cheap on e-bay at the moment.

Welcome to the game

Ian

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Stanley,

Indeed - to echo Ian's comments, I highly recommend that you pick up Beyond Valor (German / Russians) and For King and Country (British). Also, look for a good ebay deal for Yanks (Americans, obviously :)) which shouldn't be too difficutl and is only going to get harder.

As regards the rulebook, if you're happy to wait a few weeks, wait for the 2nd Edition rulebook reprint. If you're impatient, you could seek out the 1st edition rules on ebay. An alternative idea is to buy the starter kit expansion pack for its excellent ASLSK rules set, which will allow you to study the core of the system for a cheap price and come to terms with the basics, and then buy the 2nd edition rules when they are back in stock.

As soon as possible, start playing. You'll be routinely destroyed during the first few months (I was :)) but the best way to learn to play well is to play as wide a pool of solid players as possible. You've done well to come to terms with VASL early - find some people to run you through the basics (you could use the opponents wanted sub-forum here) by playing a simple scenario and throw yourself into the VASL scene - it's quite easy to find opponents. If you can, try to locate a face-to-face opponent in Singapore.

And welcome!

Last edited: