Lost Highway AP-81

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

Played it three times, each game went about 6 to 7 hours. Strangly, the last I looked at roar, this one was at 7 german wins vs 2 American, now its at 7 and 7. I still think this one is very tough on the Americans and I would highly recommend adding a turn for the Americans.

Scott

Two things please.

How long did your FTF games go.

And. Must the German player announce which groups he choose and on which board which group setup?

CK

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, that's the most brutal welcome to board 4 I have ever heard of in Lost Highway, kudos to Josh.
Posted this picture on another thread, but it shows what can
happen to an American attack if the German defenders have a
bit of luck.

Dr.Dave lost 8 vehicles on board 4a in our game today.
In reality, 1 half-track was lost to a sniper attack, and the other to
a faulty clutch.
Very fun scenario!!!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Just played this. The Americans had a mathematical chance at game end, but there were a lot, a lot of Germans adjacent to the highway at game end. The German purchases were pretty much what others have done: group D on board 4a, group C on board 6 and group A on board 46. The armor purchases were group two and group three.

The tough nut was on board 6, where the two pillboxes set up on opposite sides of the road facing each other in 6X1 and 6Z1 with squad, MMG, squad, HMG. The pillboxes had mines on top. My opponent had his wire around the pillboxes; I wonder if it shouldn't be on top. This would not be too bad, but he had his 75L and HMG in 46Y5. This denies the use of the center highway for movement, as well as the obvious plan of putting tanks between the two pillboxes. Because of this I had to bypass the pillboxes to deal with the gun first. One of my M10s tried to fire AP into the back of one of the pillboxes, but it malfed its gun.

After a few turns my flamethrowers were able to clear the gun and hmg. I then moved infantry on top of one pillbox and cleared the other with a Sherman (but we messed up the DRM on the CH, making the attack at four down five rather than four flat). The other pillbox did not clear by game end, so that was one VC missed. There was also an armored car adjacent to the road, so that VC was missed again. I made the exit VC, and much to my surprise, much of the exit VP (and exit VP for MMC) were from prisoners.

Although it was going to be a stretch, I did have a chance on the last turn. Well-designed and a challenging play.

JR

Rudi

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Play "Lost Highway" AP81 vs. Michael K. and had a lot of fun with this Game. But more fun with the German, I think. This scenario offers also the defender a lot of options. Not only with setup and buy your units also with delay the enemy and bring your reinforcements in a position there a study threat to the American. The American fun will be in find a way to crack this nut and play a perfect attack. If you do not and the German play a good (not perfect defend game), it will be hard time on American side to fulfill the challenge VC.
@CK we play up to turn 5 and need 6 hours, but think about I play 4 Months no ASL so we chat a lot and I was some time slow thinking about my options. We play it the way that the German need not say what he buys and which Board. One thing we think is important and with the MAP configuration not true enough showing is that row Q is in Play and this is a good alternative path for some American move to the end.

If the German make a real defensive buy with Bunker on the Hill and as reinforcements elite to settle down in the City. It can be real hard, hard time. My buys wars more dynamic and looking to have some fun as the defender as only looking for easy victory, but victory comes easy to me by self. No luck, no sniper impact, only on Crit how was in the end a MISS by improbable Hit (but rate for sure and Kill in 2nd shoot) was necessary to splitter the American attack enough for demoralizing the Commando Units so much that they don't put a feed to holy ROM.
Both of us think, you need a good plan as American and a very good forecast about the troops you need for cleaning Board 4a and which troops he direct send to Board 6 and start firefight with the troops there.
In our scenario on Board 4a a burning wreck enlightened the howl big grain field in the blink of an eyelash.
Cheers Rudi

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, waded through One Hundred and Twenty Five posts on this thread and did not find out the answer to my questions, so El Bumperino time.

I'm gonna play this against Mika H on July 2nd as the attacking SSF and US Army. 2 questions, one raised in this thread and not answered, another one new:

1) What is the morale of vehicle crews? 8 or 7? I'm thinking 7, but would like confirmation since the majority squad type is 6-6-8.
2) SSR 3 states "....Commandos have an ELR of 5, all other MMC have an ELR of 3....." What is the ELR of the SMCs?

Thanks,

~Doug

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

The way we played it was that the inherent squad was a 666 squad, the reason why is that there are no uS army 8 moral level guys and the OB US army majority type is the 666 squad.

We played it where the SMC were the same ELR as the 666 squads, usually theres an SSR to tell the difference but this time there was not.

Im not fortenberrym so what I say might not be totally correct but thats how I played it.

Good luck with the Americans. Its gonna be tough.

Scott

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, waded through One Hundred and Twenty Five posts on this thread and did not find out the answer to my questions, so El Bumperino time.

I'm gonna play this against Mika H on July 2nd as the attacking SSF and US Army. 2 questions, one raised in this thread and not answered, another one new:

1) What is the morale of vehicle crews? 8 or 7? I'm thinking 7, but would like confirmation since the majority squad type is 6-6-8.
2) SSR 3 states "....Commandos have an ELR of 5, all other MMC have an ELR of 3....." What is the ELR of the SMCs?

Thanks,

~Doug
Doug,

The scenario specifically gives the SMC an ELR of 5 like the Commandos (first line of SSR 3) We also wondered about the vehicle crews. We concluded that they were ML 7, but I can't say that with a ton of confidence.

Cheers,
Steve

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doug,

The scenario specifically gives the SMC an ELR of 5 like the Commandos (first line of SSR 3) We also wondered about the vehicle crews. We concluded that they were ML 7, but I can't say that with a ton of confidence.

Cheers,
Steve
I played Josh Seamon in hawaii and we used the vehicle crew Morale as a 7.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doug,

Cheers,
Steve
As I get older, it seems my reading comprehension skills diminish........I think the crew ML is 7 too, given that SSF was an infantry unit.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Short answer is 7.

To my knowledge inherent crews of US AFV never have a ML of 8 (EXC: by SSR or vs Japanese G17.3). Moreover, the G17.1 SSR in AP81 applies only to American SMC and 6-6-8/3-4-8.

I do not see why E.4 would apply here. D5.1 should answer the question, especially given that in ASL USMC only appear in scenarios vs Japanese. Hence US AFV crews in AP81 would check with a ML equal to that of its nationality's best unbroken elite Infantry MMC, the 6-6-7/3-4-7.

If Gary intended otherwise, I am certain that he would have said so in his SSR. Now time for Gary to tell me that I got it wrong. :(

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Thanks,

~Doug
1. 7, per standard rules
2. 5 per scenario card.