What boardgames have you played recently?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a game played, but yesterday saw the arrival of AP's PG Kakoda Campaign and GWAS Central Powers at the Weir cat house.
I've always been impressed by your depth and breadth of knowledge, but you run a cat house too! NOW you've really got my attention!:smoke::laugh:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I've always been impressed by your depth and breadth of knowledge, but you run a cat house too! NOW you've really got my attention!:smoke::laugh:
Just the feline type, I'm afraid. 4 of them. Meeow! :bite:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Shouldn't that be Kokoda? The Aussies will shred you...

von Marwitz
Quite correct, mea culpa! I had an insufficient dosage of caffeine at that stage and a late night the previous night. It doesn't help either that I am not a PTO fan. Anyway, a nice example of how, despite my history trivia habit, I am not infallible :bite:!

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Going to Play 'Streets of Stalingrad', scenario 1 'Grain Elevator' with Paul Saunders tonight over VASSAL with Paul taking the russians and myself the germans.

Excellent game, fantastic components, really looking forward to this.

May my dice 'roll for victory'

FDBarbarian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played one last game of B-17 Queen of the Sky before I pack it up and put it on EBAY to support my new found ASL addiction.

Okmed

ASL/SK Scout
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Monty Python Fluxx, followed by Star Fluxx: For such a deliberately random game, Fluxx requires a kind of hand management plus alertness that resembles planning.

Toby G.

F.N.G.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Splendor my GF whipped me soundly 15-10 she usually beats me but not this bad.

Last edited:

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have the 79 and 80 charts. I played the 80s Bears against my stepson a couple weeks ago he had the Browns. I won 13-10 on a TD with only about a minute to go. It was his first game he was doing pretty good until I discovered Chicago had a QT on a Roll of 3 against every pass on the B Defense, that and when he called B he was giving up 30 yards on his 9 (Tight-End Pass) when he rolled a one. Which was good because the Bears didn't have much offense besides Walter Payton.
I remember those days, Walter right, Walter left, Walter up the middle, punt.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mike and I finished up Fire in the Sky Saturday night. It ended far earlier than I had hoped.

An account can be seen at http://wargamingwichita.blogspot.com/

Next up for us is Asia Engulfed.

Should be able to start that AAR next week.

Thanks

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Going to Play 'Streets of Stalingrad', scenario 1 'Grain Elevator' with Paul Saunders tonight over VASSAL with Paul taking the russians and myself the germans.

Excellent game, fantastic components, really looking forward to this.

May my dice 'roll for victory'
Ian,

I have just scored Nova Games Battle for the Factories, I had it and Fire on the Volga during the mid to late 80's, I prefer Nova's counter art and colours, how does SoS play as opposed to FotV & BftF?

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ian,

I have just scored Nova Games Battle for the Factories, I had it and Fire on the Volga during the mid to late 80's, I prefer Nova's counter art and colours, how does SoS play as opposed to FotV & BftF?
Can't really answer this Perry, I briefly bought both BftF and FotV, front covers on the box look great. I was disappointed with the look/size of counters and map within BftF/FotV compared to SoS. To be fair BftF/FotV as you mention were both produced in the 80's and this was standard artwork for the time. SoS for me with the bigger hexes and more colorful counters is more polished. As for the rules, i dont know if there are any big changes - i think the artillery bombardment rules may be different.

A lot of people are put off with the amount of phases within the sequence of play, with artillery having 4 seperate bombardment phases, being able to fire in support of attacks and interdiction within movement phase. The key thing though is that artillery can only fire 'once' and its upto you as the player to decide when do you fire. The actual mechanics of the game are quite simple and playable for a monster! and it really gives you a 'good feel' for the issues both sides had i.e as the russian player you are desperate to get more troops across from the east bank of the volga to fill the holes from the german onslaught, as a german you constantly feed in troops to get a 'breakthrough' into the city, however route of advance for your armor is limited by the balka's.

If you go onto Boardgame geek - download V2.1 of the rules to have a quick look at the changes between the two versions.

I believe a 4th edition could be in the pipeworks - will definitely have to have a copy of this

Regards

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Bit of a topic change - any recommendations for any WW1 games? For those who have tried them, got any favorites? Scale (strategic/tactical) is not that important. I've just seen a bunch of titles (stuff like Breakthrough Cambrai, Paths of Glory and 1914: Glory's End) and while some look cool some reviews, in particular from people who's board game tastes I can trust, haha, would be great.

Helmseye

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Bit of a topic change - any recommendations for any WW1 games? For those who have tried them, got any favorites? Scale (strategic/tactical) is not that important. I've just seen a bunch of titles (stuff like Breakthrough Cambrai, Paths of Glory and 1914: Glory's End) and while some look cool some reviews, in particular from people who's board game tastes I can trust, haha, would be great.

Guns of August still rates up their for me, check it out on vassal first

The rules for the naval optional rules are also great

Okmed

ASL/SK Scout
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like The Great War in the East (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8070/great-war-east) and its series-mate from S&T 69, Tannenberg (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8071/tannenberg). The scale is operational (units = divisions, mostly, and game turns = 2 days or so) and the rules are traditional move & fight with ZOCs and odds. Complexity is lowish. The rules for combat results, tactical proficiency, rail movement, and supply give an authentic WW1 feel and bring out the differences among the nationalities involved: German, Russian, Austro-Hungarian, Italian.

The designer is David Isby, who has earned his good reputation as a designer on WW1 topics so far as I can tell. The games are long out of print but still obtainable; the magazine game goes for reasonable prices.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Purchased Zombicide : Black Plague last Saturday and had a blast playing it three times now.
As much as I am not a fan of Zombies nor of post-apocalyptic themes, the setting in Medieval fantasy of that version of Zombicide did attract my attention.
Superb components, well thought game mechanics (it seems that ZBP benefits from the trials and errors of the previous Zombicide modules).
Cooperativity is absolutely necessary and the players are constantly helping one another against the threats.
As the game gets tougher when Survivors progress in power, it provides tension from the beginning to the end.

ironmike1944

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is an ASL Forum Gentlemen, with PIF in your hot little hands, counters needing to be clipped, scenarios to be played, how could one even think about playing anything but ASL. Everything else is pure nonsense!!!!!!!!!!

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
World in Flames, anyone know/play this? My son wants to get into this because his friend has some of it. $25 for a platoon of men seems a bit steep to me. I'm trying to get him to try ASL. He is coming with me to the SW Outpost this Sunday.