Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have duplicates, so I wish to cut the duplicates and use them when a half map is appropriate for a scenario. The question is how to cut them perfectly straight in exactly the right place.

Col. Korn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe visit a framing shop and see if they can cut them in a mat cutter? (just make sure they use a 90 degree blade and not a 45!)

I'd think they could cut it with a high degree of accuracy.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
While the thought of mutilating my maps gives me the horrors:

Use a steel ruler and scalpel. If you have clamps to clamp the ruler, all the better, but hand pressure should be sufficient for a 8" cut. Use a fresh scalpel blade, with a few light strokes. The sharper the blade, the less force needed and less likelihood of straying from a straight line.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have duplicates, so I wish to cut the duplicates and use them when a half map is appropriate for a scenario. The question is how to cut them perfectly straight in exactly the right place.
do not do it, you will regret it and have bad dreams from now until the end of time, the very thought of cutting up SK MAP BOARDS MAKES ME SHUDDER.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First, do NOT CUT UP YOUR MAPS.

Second, scan or color photocopy your maps and cut up those.

Third, the middle row has a dotted line, you know that, right? Pretty darn good guide.

Fourth, if you are me, pay someone else to cut them, as I did.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
High Explosives. Don't use AP unless you are using a three-ring binder with thick rings.

JR

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Michael

I have not cut maps with it, but I bought a paper cutter several years ago. It
has been wonderful tool to have. So easy to cut straight lines on various papers, etc.
These are cheap enough at most office supply stores. Good luck with the project.
Let all know how it goes.

Regards
Joe

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's a $5 item, not an heirloom. Cut away! Just use a fresh #11 X-Acto knife.
until they stop making them or some such, then that $5 item goes upto god knows what price and he will regret cutting his spares up.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First, I would buy the finest scalpel. Then, after making sure the board is situated so it can't move (you might want to admire it one last time while it is still whole), slide a cool, shiny steel ruler along the crease in the center of the board. Then, ever so sloooowly slice it along the crease using the steel ruler as a guide. You might enjoy the sound of the blade as it cuts the cardboard. If you are lucky, this step will have to be performed more than once. When finished, admire your work and the put the two new boards you have created away in your special place.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I saw that on an episode of Criminal Minds.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is getting wierd very fast, even by this forums standards of wierdness

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Michael

I have not cut maps with it, but I bought a paper cutter several years ago. It
has been wonderful tool to have. So easy to cut straight lines on various papers, etc.
These are cheap enough at most office supply stores. Good luck with the project.
Let all know how it goes.

Regards
Joe
Yes, paper cutter is the way to go. I cut my 11x 16 maps in half before laminating. Best thing I ever did. I didn't start doing that with my starter kit style maps (now laminated), I wish I had...so hard to transport. May still cut em and relaminate.

pybarrondo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Under no circumstances use a knife and straightedge. Use a paper cutter only, or pay someone to do it.

I cut mine with a paper cutter. Nice clean cut in one swift chop. Easy enough to line up the dots.

Last edited: