Interesting rules that we may have missed or forgotten

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
C3.22 CHANGING CA WITHOUT FIRE: A Gun may change its CA without firing only at the end of a friendly fire phase (not MPh), and only if at that time its crew is still able to fire it without using Intensive/Sustained Fire ... Such a change in the PFPh cancels any movement possibilities for that Gun (even a vehicular Gun) and its crew for the rest of that Player Turn, but does not prevent that Gun from attacking in the AFPh—presumably now without any Case A DRM.
I was reading Chas Smith's article in J2 this morning when he mentioned this gem which I had missed. This is suprising to me and not something I had considered. Very interesting in its potential applications as Chas pointed out.

A7.7 ENCIRCLEMENT: ... A qualifying target Location is thereafter marked with an Encirclement counter and every non-berserk, non-heroic enemy Personnel unit therein suffers an immediate one level drop in morale to both the attack that sealed its Encirclement and any other attacks made against that Location as long as it is so marked. ...
This one came up in a game with Gary Trezza. I was wondering what affect encirclement had on a unit FPF'ing. From the cited text, it appears none and was also a suprise to me. Thanks to Gary for pointing this one out. -- jim

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An RCL gun cannot acquire a moving target.

A note of clarification on this one, as it is tricky. The rule states what you have above, but then inserts (C.8) between the words moving and target. Refering to C.8, this is for moving vehicular targets only. Moving infantry therefore can be acquried is my reading.

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Are BR:T water hexes considered OCEAN?
Per T2.1, they are Ocean hexes, and also Submerged-reef G13.431, so any units in them are Waders not Swimmers, & the LVTs use their regular MPs, not their amph MPs.

The G13.46 "assumed -1 aq" can only be used against a (non-M4DD) Watercraft, it can't apply to a shot at a non-Watercraft vehicle.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Drive on through...nope

Vehicles can enter a gully/stream, but vehicles can't enter a sunken road other then through a road. Figure out that one, I hear reality arguments coming......

A/CSM Bird

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Reality Arguments? OK Here Goes.

Vehicles can enter a gully/stream, but vehicles can't enter a sunken road other then through a road. Figure out that one, I hear reality arguments coming......
The sunken roads in Normandy are quite narrow, farm cart width, and have very steep sides. The overhanging foliage and hedgerows almost make them tunnel-like. Perhaps this is the vision that forms the basis for the restriction.
There is a gully with a mini-stream at its bottom 150m from where I sit at the moment. The sides are navigable by me and my mountain bike in most spots and would be no problem for military vehicles, with the obligatory Bog rolls of course.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A22.3 "A unit may only use one FT/DC in a Player Turn."

Not often important, but in "Flames of Unrest" if a Partisan uses one of its inherent FTs it may not use a DC too.

Also ruins my evil plan of send a squad forward carrying 2 FTs, just so I could experience the cumulative FT vulnerability DRM [A22.4].

JR

Earthpig

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Not often important, but in "Flames of Unrest" if a Partisan uses one of its inherent FTs it may not use a DC too.

Also ruins my evil plan of send a squad forward carrying 2 FTs, just so I could experience the cumulative FT vulnerability DRM [A22.4].

JR
They could still carry it, they just can't use it:devious:.....go ahead and have fun...I think:hmmm:

fleetB17

Infantry PSG
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

JR
Call it a "spare" so when the first x's they still have one to use. Why make two units more vulnerable.:cheeky:

They could still carry it, they just can't use it:devious:.....go ahead and have fun...I think:hmmm:
Have you ever fired one when we played that had a positive result:laugh:? FTs and Earthpigs don't seem to mix very well. :clap::hurray:

:curse: Now the next time you have one it will be indestuctable.:nervous:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
A11.41 AMBUSH WITHDRAWAL: Any Infantry ... which has qualified for Ambush has the option ... (to) withdraw from CC automatically after resolving all CC attacks by and against it ...
I did not realize a unit could take one attack and withdraw if surviving all incoming attacks against it thus avoiding melee. -- jim

Stalwart

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A little gem I found on another thread

:halo: Here's one I found on another thread

C3.7 A CH occurs while using the Infantry Target Type whenever the Final is less than half the Modified TH number(3.3), or on an original DR of 2 followed by a subsequent dr of 1 or less than/equal to half of the Modified TH number.

Roll the dice <rattle>

Add 2 to your result (+1 buttoned up, +1 shooting into woods)

A Dice Roll of 5 + 2 (Woods & BU) = 7 :hurray: you have hit the little green men with rocket launchers

A Critical Hit requires a net result of 3 (7 chopped in half FRD) or less: 1DR + 2DRM = 3

A Critical Hit is not going to happen at that range the normal way

Which brings us to the 2nd part of the sentance under review

Under the conditions specified a CH on the ITT can happen only through an original 2 DR followed by a Subsequent Die Roll of 3 or less

Italics as in the original, emphasis is mine

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually it is not 7 chopped in half FRD.

You need to roll a FINAL TH of less than 1/2 the MODIFIED TH number.

Firing at range 3-6 at KEU in woods from a buttoned up PzIV:

8 is the original TH number. There are no modifications so 8 is the Modified TH number as well. So it is 8 chopped in half for 4. And you have to roll less than 4. So... you still need the same thing for a critical in the example... an eyes followed by a 1-3 dr.

JT

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
Actually it is not 7 chopped in half FRD.

You need to roll a FINAL TH of less than 1/2 the MODIFIED TH number.

Firing at range 3-6 at KEU in woods from a buttoned up PzIV:

8 is the original TH number. There are no modifications so 8 is the Modified TH number as well. So it is 8 chopped in half for 4. And you have to roll less than 4. So... you still need the same thing for a critical in the example... an eyes followed by a 1-3 dr.

JT
In the example he was quoting, the Range is 13 with an L Gun for a modified TH# of 7.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the example he was quoting, the Range is 13 with an L Gun for a modified TH# of 7.
Ah hah. That would make a difference. Sorry... just assumed it was 3-6. His reference to "7 chopped in half" was right after what he indicated the DR with modifiers was. That was what confused me.

JT

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
"I am conduction my anual review of the rulebook and this rule stuck out to me as one I have never got right. I thought I would share in hopes that it sticks with me. I may post others as I go along. What rules have you recently re-discovered or discovered you had been playing wrong. The more esoteric, the better.
A11.141:...However, a leader may not use his leadership DRM to modify the CC DR of his own attack if he attacks alone or if any of the units attacking with him are berserk.
I knew the first part, I did not know the second part. -- jim"

Sorry to unearth the dead, but this initial post was the only Google result I got for "hero modify CC berserk site:gamesquad.com". I knew the rule you cited, but unfortunately had always lumped Heroes into this 'leader' category, even though they only share the SMC attribute 100% of the time; not necessarily that of 'leader'. Due to a recent rules dive, I came to the conclusion that a Hero can modify a berserk unit's CC attack, unless he is a heroic leader. Been misplaying that one for a long time, as rarely as it occurs.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"I am conduction my anual review of the rulebook and this rule stuck out to me as one I have never got right. I thought I would share in hopes that it sticks with me. I may post others as I go along. What rules have you recently re-discovered or discovered you had been playing wrong. The more esoteric, the better.

I knew the first part, I did not know the second part. -- jim"

Sorry to unearth the dead, but this initial post was the only Google result I got for "hero modify CC berserk site:gamesquad.com". I knew the rule you cited, but unfortunately had always lumped Heroes into this 'leader' category, even though they only share the SMC attribute 100% of the time; not necessarily that of 'leader'. Due to a recent rules dive, I came to the conclusion that a Hero can modify a berserk unit's CC attack, unless he is a heroic leader. Been misplaying that one for a long time, as rarely as it occurs.
He’s not using the leader modifier but the heroic one.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
He’s not using the leader modifier but the heroic one.
One more White Russian later, I may have just caught myself catching myself. So, a heroic leader could modify a zerker in CC if he uses his heroic modifier and not his leadership modifier? ASL & Booze: Learning one new rule for every rule you forget! 🤪

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I am conduction my anual review of the rulebook and this rule stuck out to me as one I have never got right. I thought I would share in hopes that it sticks with me. I may post others as I go along. What rules have you recently re-discovered or discovered you had been playing wrong. The more esoteric, the better.

I knew the first part, I did not know the second part. -- jim
Nice concept for a thread. This should supply some good reading. I'm a little late for the game though!😉

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Nice concept for a thread. This should supply some good reading. I'm a little late for the game though!😉
It has been so long since I started this thread I almost forgot all about it. Funny too as I was thinking about re-reading the rule book this month. -- jim

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In some Ortona rules discussion with Perry, I learned this:

A12.15 DETECTION: A unit forced back to its previous Location is not subject to attack (even by a minefield or FFE) during its brief period in the previously-concealed unit's Location, nor can it be the subject of a Snap Shot from the firer's hex while attempting to enter the concealed unit's Location, but it is subject to Snap Shots/other First Fire attacks (see C.5C) when being returned to its previously occupied Location.

The defending unit can take a Snap Shot as the attacking unit is being returned to its previous location. In a building to building bump, that can be a better shot than shooting at the attacking unit in its previous location.