So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since my friend and I knew our first scenario would be so short (it was), we planned on playing OA31 With Friends Like These as well. I had the defending French. Originally I planned to set up a gun or two in the orchards next to the river with the others in the brush. However, I was influenced by the thread "Has ASL evolution left behind "ART" pieces, like 10-3s?" Since having ART guns is rare - and in this one the French get four(!) 105s, I decided to go for fun and set all of them up in the brush and blast anything that came their way. Missing everything during American turn one (moving vehicles, changing NT covered arcs), the guns started shelling the board the rest of the game. My opponent took one out with a MTR, but he never got close as I had my entire OB in a mutually supporting role. In hindsight, I think the Americans need to run the Stuarts through the brush on turn one to flush out any possible HIP guns. Since they are forced to set up facing the wrong direction, the Stuarts should be able to get one or two with just their MGs alone (should they be there). Of course the French could set up two in the orchards and the others under concealment in the open (the Americans enter), but if there are no guns in sight, at least two have to be in the brush. A bit too small for my tastes, but it was fun blasting with 20 FP shots! I'd recommend it for either side, but it's more fun for the French (assuming they don't lose any guns on turn 1).

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Michael,

Better check your spreadsheet. You kick my butt in Rockets Red Glare!

Rob

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The ASLOK batch

New from AP13 - The First Virtue - Played two times - Good small scenario
WO4 - I Don't Like Retreating - I like this dynamic scenario - harder to play as defender
New from AP13 - Ambush on South Knob - dull and dicy
New from AP13 - Mageret Morning - Ridge defense where the American player is bound to suffer a slow and painful agony facing the übermensch
New from AP13 - Flight from Fancy - Great scenario with good replayability
J109 - Break for Hungary - Doesn't seem exciting at first sight but was pretty intense all along
J191 - Rebels without a Pause - Good design - Better choose option #2 in VC
New from Friendly Fire - Arms Race - very original and exciting design - difficult to get it right the first time for defender and attacker alike - will repeat
New from AP13 - Crickets in Spring - intense scenario with lots of action
AP74 - Batty-P - Subtle, complex, exciting, balanced - the right ingredients for a great scenario

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hi-

Played AP123 Busting balls and got crushed as the Russians. The magical 105 got a crit on my on board T-26 while my other two T-26's bogged trying to get past a marsh hex. (the ford ran past it so there was no avoiding it). The Russians cant really fall back due to the buildings counting as CVP while at the same time the Russians get slaughtered by the Germans. Basically, not a fun scenario for the Russians, just very dull to play.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Played J 167 Hart Attack for the first time. My opponent was Fredkors. I had the Attacking British and I was able to control 6 buildings, leave the board with one tank and attack and destroy two German tanks in CC by the end of turn 5 when the Germans resigned. Having already 9 VPs (on 7 required) and no chances to lose three or more buildings the game was ended in advance. I lost two tanks and a few HS. The German AT Gun was unable to have a role ( It missed the only shot fired against a HD tank ) and so the game was rather one sided.
That said I think the scenario is fun, I would replay it as German and I think that while it is finely balanced at the end, the German Player has a much more difficult work than the attacker. He have to use all the tricks to stay in the game, starting with an optimal intial setup and a good flexible plan to face the British attack that can follow several very different lines.

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
The Krinkelterwald [DB135] Not getting enough play in at ASLOK :) I tried this yesterday with long time partner, David Stephens. I had the attacking Germans and threw virtually everything at the American right flank leading off with half-squads but not moving adjacent. I slowly built up stacks on three hexes but did have one brokie at the end of my movement phase. The American can only fire from one hex on this side due to setup restrictions and I was able to break the leader led squad and MMG with a 20 +2 shot which was the beginning of the end on this flank as I continued to press this flank. David moved units from the left and later a rush by me of two squads to that now weakened flank eventually got next to that flank's victory hex. About the same time (turn four of six) I mopped up the other flank and most Americans with my leader led fanatic 548/MMG and hero combo that took out two trapped American squads in CC. At that point David conceded. Nice, easy to play all infantry scenario to ameliorate my withdrawal symptoms from ASLOK.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played U1 The French Decide to Fight. I was the defending French. ROAR has it pretty unbalanced in favor of the French. I think that's because of the extremely tough victory conditions for the Americans. Having to clear everything within normal range of the airfield is simply asking too much. To test why the scenario is so pro French, I hid the 20L AA Gun with a clear LOS to the runway way off in a lonely patch of grain with no intention of ever firing it. I decided that if my friend did indeed entirely clear the runway with the exception of that gun, I'd still declare him the winner (that's just too sleazy for me to claim victory like that, plus I just wanted to test my theory). However, for statistical purposes, I would have entered the scenario as a French win in ROAR. Turns out I was able to hold on for the win anyway. The Americans never got close to the hidden gun since it was so far away from the battle. For that reason, I'd recommend against this scenario for the Americans. Sending squads on wild goose chases to find hidden guns is silly. I'd recommend it for the French, on the other hand, since it's fun to tear up six morale troops.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played U1 The French Decide to Fight. I was the defending French. ROAR has it pretty unbalanced in favor of the French. I think that's because of the extremely tough victory conditions for the Americans. Having to clear everything within normal range of the airfield is simply asking too much. To test why the scenario is so pro French, I hid the 20L AA Gun with a clear LOS to the runway way off in a lonely patch of grain with no intention of ever firing it. I decided that if my friend did indeed entirely clear the runway with the exception of that gun, I'd still declare him the winner (that's just too sleazy for me to claim victory like that, plus I just wanted to test my theory). However, for statistical purposes, I would have entered the scenario as a French win in ROAR. Turns out I was able to hold on for the win anyway. The Americans never got close to the hidden gun since it was so far away from the battle. For that reason, I'd recommend against this scenario for the Americans. Sending squads on wild goose chases to find hidden guns is silly. I'd recommend it for the French, on the other hand, since it's fun to tear up six morale troops.
Looked at this one recently and this is precisely the analysis I came away with too. The Americans need to clear things out and hunt all over the board. It's broken from a balance point of view without re-work.

buser333

Reaction score
I am not a fan of scenarios where you have to clear "all" to begin with, and I try to avoid them like the plague when they involve HIP units.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Time to catch up on these...
Yangtze Doodle RPT 72 Nice little all infantry affair with both sides getting to attack. My Chinese did not damage the IJA when they had the chance. I held the south bank portion of the village for a while. My northern Chinese force counter attacked to take the bridge, but were too little, too late.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan and the Three Bears SP222 With Soviet balance. Nice use of the river overlay. My Soviets got beat up.... The 4-6-8s are very strong, especially attacking with stone building as cover. Soviets tried to counter, but they got chased down and destroyed. The T-26s are a threat to 1941 panzers, but were too slow to help much.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Notable Achievement LC CiI 23 Nice village battle The Fallschirmjager defended the victory buildings, not the edge of the hill. The Marders both parked in buildings. My Canadians attacked the east side of town first. Lots of smoke. In the middle of town I encountered the 5-4-8 from hell. He took out 2.5 Canadian squads before being eliminated. (so much for my usual luck in CC.) Canadian win.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Terrify and Destroy SP 146 Metal, '45! I launched the Americans across 42, then after board 22, then board 21. The US infantry won this with inherent firepower. Dance O' Death was rough on the Shermans- I lost 3, one to a sniper recall. The Jagdtigers were clumsy in the urban setting, with 2 being killed in CC after exhausting their HE. The third huntin' Tigger was SHOCKED, then killed in CC. Nice metalfest.