So what scenarios have you played Recently?

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J145 - Golden Pheasants twice this last week. Once each side versus different opponents, both German wins. One a blowout, the other a bit closer. Fun for the Amis, many toys; Germans more of an Alamo defense in a six hex, two story building with two staircases.

Ami choices to supplement OB were: 100mm OBA both games; once 81*mm Mtr HT, but I selected the .50cal/347. My Germans chose from the scenario card options the 658/PSK/8-1/?(4) and 20L(20)/228. My opponent chose 88L/228 and Stug IIIG.

I fortified the two stairwells and the other rear VC building hex. The allowed both 105 Art and newly minted 20L(20) to setup in rear building two hexes. My screen of SS squads/HS on middle board 21 delayed the Ami 14 squads and destroyed, three AFVs including the 81mm MTR HT with a hipster's thrown DC. This allowed Nurnburg's policemen and firemen (four 436s) to join the five [447(2) and 436(3)] Volksturm/Kiddie VC building garrison. The Amis got into the VC building on turn 5 of 7, stairwell breached with two AFVs (one soon burning) and did get three squads and a FT into building, but after bloodly CCs and with stairwells blocked a turn 5 resignation soon followed.

Realizing that taking the 18 location building would be a bitch, I smoked it early, used the .50 cal HMG/8-1 to interdict board 21 German SS, lit my hair on fire and ran to the VC building. Surviving AFVs plowed into building on turn 4 as 9-2 led infantry stormed into the first floor. The blocked stairwells were too tough and after the Amis gacked a 3-1 down one CC attack, a Commissar rallied some youths and smiled safely ensconced in smoke on the third floor back hex, Amis in control of everything else, but unable to get to the 10-0 hex.

Fun attacking as Ami, a little static as Germans. The building scum is a tedious grind as 236 HS block stairwells. Both our 7-0/radios in a board 1 two story building had very little LOS and were fortunate to convert OBA smoke.

ROAR has it something like 14-14, but I feel that the Amis need some serious help against a reasonable defensive plan.

Rich

Last edited:

MajorDomo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played DB101 - A Willingness to Die twice this week. The Germans and Russians split the two game series.

A mechanized 1941 German force must clear Russian squads (13 of them) from the center of board 38 and exit 20 VP points but not lose 25 CVP. The Germans must divide into two forces, the second group comprised of 40 cloaked VP, entering on turn three. Logically, I chose the four tanks and halftrack force for the initial assault. The followup turn three force, infantry loaded in trucks able to exit or provide mop up infantry.

My initial force ran right up the middle road. As expected, the lone Russian 37AT appeared in an orchard hex and as unexpected, destroyed both an AFV and a halftrack/9-1/squad/lmg. Fourteen CVP, literally up in smoke. The 37L AT gun actually got off six shots and unluckily failed to convert two "7" kills versus 3 frontal armor AFVs.

Two overruns ended the lone Russian AT gun as a threat. Multiple drive by shootings, followed by CCs broke most of the Russian infantry. This left the turn three infantry virtually unopposed, game over. I had suffered 17 CVP. Bad Russian CC rolls versus HTs along with the bouncing 37AT rounds made the difference.

Next game, the Germans entered the AFVs, unloaded several infantry squads and went to clear the center woods complex. I had two 447s and all the dummies (eight or so) in the center woods complex, a faux strong point for sure.

The two Russian 447s in the central woods fared very well, immobilizing a VBMer, winning two CCs and generating a hero. Aided by a distant 50mm Mtr ROF and several "3" results, the Germans in all lost four squads, two leaders in the unsuccessful attack on the central woods. The 37L AT had the immobilized AFV in its sights and the game was essentially over.

Before playing, we thought that the scenario would be pretty tough on the Germans so:
A. We eliminated the HIP for one Russian squad
B. Eliminated the four onboard snipers (see Rees' sniper rules) and just gave the Russians a sniper "4"

The performance of the lone Russian anti-tank asset, the 37L AT gun is very crucial to the outcome.

A fun beer and pretzels scenario which plays quickly and features one big roll after another.

Rich

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Raid on Moerdijk LC BWN-6 Dutch and French counterattack on a German bridgehead. I got the extra AMD-35s, the Germans got the infantry group. After a few turns, it was obvious that the Germans would get shoved around, but could they hold on to the bridge? We decided to allow rolling for Stukas too, but none ever came. The Germans fought hard, but in the end there was just too much French armor. Allied win. More days like this in 1940, it would have been a much shorter war...

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Thorn in the Side DftB DB 131 IJA Tank Hunters V. British Shermans on a hill in Burma, 1944. The Brits set up on the 5bV4 hill, and almost lost on the first turn. SMOKE, WP and the ability to set up very close to the British makes the IJA very dangerous in this one. But the SMOKE from the 50mm MTRs din not last. In the end, one Sherman was killed off, the rest stayed on the hill. Fun little scenario. If would be even better played on an enlarged board. Lots of counter density in this one.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played SP 24 Forest Fighting in Latvia and lost as the Germans. Several key CCs lost and several bad breaks and my Germans were down.

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J184 - Dayan To Meet You and my Vichy troops barely held on to the last building to gain the victory. In a real nail biter of a scenario that came down to the last player turn and included one battle hardened and one berserker (charged to his own demise) Vichy MMC and an additional Australian hero created (two are already in the OB) along with a thrown DC in the next to last DFPh that did as much damage to the thrower as the defenders, my opponenet was unable to get a MMC in position (thanks to some First Fire and the placed Residual) to possibly gain control of the last building and conceded after his final MPh.

Vichy MVP honors go to a green HS (deployed at the start) that broke a squad during First Fire (turn 2) blunting the Australian assault along my left. The next turn he KIA'd an oncoming squad as he tried to run along the road (2FP down 2 & got the '3'). Next up in Turn 4, an Australian squad (probably the one he broke in turn 2) advanced into CC with him, but the intrepid greenies held on and forced a Melee. This allowed a green squad to assault move, still under concealment (shrugging off D-fire) and then after that squad put down some Advancing Fire in a different location advanced into the Melee location and combined with the green HS to take out the Australian squad at 3:2 in the Vichy CCPh though the green HS finally succumbed and became a casualty in that same CC as the Australians went with the 2:1 against just the HS.

A very enjoyable scenario that I would be more than happy to play again as either side.
Cheers!! Bob

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GD-B The Kiwis Attack

Heart breaker for the Fallschirmjagers. Despite brutal self inflicted casualties/malfunctions and a seemingly ever spring of NZ HOB daily doubles, I managed to stuff the attack forcing the New Zealanders to make a run for it at the end. I got 3 of 4 Shermans before it was over but my opponent skated enough infantry through a ton of fire and resid for the victory. Had my 75L AT gun not rolled boxcars on a bore sighted side shot (needed an 11 to hit), the Germans would had won the day barring a dud. The silliest was seeing my HMG malf, the squad manning it break, and then completely eliminated on back to back boxcars during the next two Rally Phases. The 9-2 was left there wondering, "WTF just happened?" Yeah, good stuff. :facepalm:

Fun scenario. I love the DASL boards and I'm a sucker for rubble generation scenarios. Plus the copy of the General Vol 29, NO. 6 I picked up recently still has the wrestling cards. "Dirty Sally" FTW!!

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
WO2 Failure To Communicate

Played this as the German. There was a French Balance in effect exchanging 2x 458 by 2x 457 and removing 4x"?" from the original French OoB, as this seems to be considered to be a pro French scenario. ROAR stats as of today - Germans 29 / French 38.

I had one important ally, though, and this was Lady Luck, who caressed me in all my ventures and kicked my opponent to round it off... First, I did not elect to set up as my opponent intended so I could avoid some bad things he had in mind for me. Then, I managed to roll snakes with my killer stack vs. his 10-2 & company. On top, my HMG & MMG kept ROF twice. This broke his 10-2 and killed 2 French squads. Of course, this helped the German cause greatly. Then, my Panzers seemed to be lavishly equipped with sD ammo, which shrouded my advance due to drift for a French half-turn so splendidly, that he could not even see some of my units. Not a single gacked usage DR despite being BU.

Though I was surprised by French mines, my Germans managed to reach the eastern village in strength by turn 3. After AFPh of German T4, the French had lost 3.5 squads, the 8-1, both AMR 33's, the LMG the 25LL ATG, and I had captured the MMG. Another HS was due to die for FTR, the AMG was threatened by 2x Pz38t and an ATR and the French MTR HS had a squad and a CX HS ready to move into CC. The way to the western village was blocked by the German killer stack, two tanks were west of the stream and the Germans had only suffered 3CVP so far.

At that point, my opponent conceded. I believe this scenario is easier to win as the French but more fun to play as the German. I could have been in serious trouble even with the French balance, but this time, just everything [EXC: Minefield surprise] worked out for the Germans.

The challenge for the Germans is manifold:
  • There is no time to lose. He will need roughly 2 turns to effectively close into battle
  • He can't move too audaciously, as there is a CVP cap and the German AFV are quite vulnerable from the flanks.
  • The first two problems conflict with each other. Can't move fast without risk. Can't move too safely without losing time.
  • The French at least initially sit in superior TEM including many stone rowhouses, from which they are difficult to root out.
The challenge for the French:
  • He has to think about either making a stern defence in the eastern part of the village or allowing for some units to fall back to the western part throughout the game. If he does the former, he will buy time and take advantage of good defensive terrain but it might be difficult to get units back across the stream. If he does the latter, he will be safer against German flanking moves to get at the western multi-hex buildings, of which the Germans need to take at least one, though at the cost of being overwhelmed by the attackers in the eastern village earlier.
Here is a screenshot of when our game was concluded during the AFPh of German Turn 4:

Zwischenablage01.jpg

von Marwitz

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lost as the attacking Vichy French in 80 Play Ball. I think a lot has to go right for the Vichy to pull this one off as they have a lot of open ground to advance across against Americans on rooftops with good ROF weapons. My guys didn’t get torn up too badly but in the end, I couldn’t take more than one VP building. It didn’t help that almost all of them required open ground to traverse to get to them. I didn’t even bother trying for the 30 CVP VC. That would require the Vichy to pretty much eliminate the entire U.S. force. Not sure why the Vichy get towed ART guns halfway through the game. The halftracks are too slow and vulnerable to be of much use getting them into position. Nothing exciting about this one, but a solid win for my opponent. Recommend for the Americans; slight for the Vichy.

Last edited:

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carlos Jordan and I just finished this scenario. Another fiasco for my troops as Carlos Russians took whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted.

Full account at my blog: https://cardboardwarrior.blog/

Thanks for reading.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AD 3 Back to School with the Germans getting the balance. Which made all the difference. Germans extra turn they broke all the Russians and were able to exit on the extra movement phase. Fun scenario. Looking forward to the Deluxe pack.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
J188 Grab and Go.

I lost as the Germans. I let the Russians get too close too often and couldn't back off in time. It was either having my retreat route covered by Russian fire or worse, getting encircled. At the end, the MTR ht got destroyed started up after loading, but the HMG ht got away but we lost too much at that stage. All in all, the German were too greedy and couldn't shrink up into a core ring around the exit point.

See the comics here - https://hongkongwargamer.com/2017/08/26/j188-grab-and-go/

PS Started - J193 Raff's Rules
DB134 March on Marche
Suicide Creek CG, Jan 2, PM

Start this Weds - another CG scenario day @ PT for Objective: Schmidt

MajorDomo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this as the Germans and won. Had the Mtr in the woods one hex behind your position.

I defended the D5 woods line in front of the Mtr with enough to convince him to attack in the center and left center. That allowed th HT to drive it off for 9 easy points. That wing's defenders actually made it back to the center exit hexes by turn 6.

The other HT loaded the Hmg on turn 6, survived an atr hit and ended the game. My numerous firelanes held his infantry up, but he had a chance for a central breakthrough at one point. He only picked up 6 VP of buildings by turn four, which made his task hard.

Nice AAR,

Rich

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played Tac 31 Par Saint-Georges! over three short VASL sessions. Two maps, side by side (16 and 33). This is a May 1940 action, with a small French Infantry force somehow entrenched in a village; wave after wave of German tanks (13 total) enter, then a few German squads enter on Trucks; the French get reinforcements in the form of 4, then 2, then 2 more slower, sturdier, radioless tanks. The Germans need to go through the length of the map and exit enough force to win - they can completely bypass the French Infantry if they like.

The original scenario (as published in Tactiques) requires the German to exit at least 25 VP, at least 6 of which must be infantry. The wording doesn't make it 100% clear that they must exit as Infantry (i.e., on foot and not as Passengers), using the uncapitalised "infanterie". We decided to allow the MMC to exit as Passengers - not sure what the original intent was.

Well, I wanted to get a feeling of what early war tank combat was like, and I certainly got that (I was the French). The more mobile, radio-equipped German (with plenty of armor leaders, even) could easily do a "dance of death" around my own tanks, and there was little I could do. When the German trucks entered, they completely bypassed my own Infantry, and they easily went through unopposed (my own tanks were either dead, or in Smoke, or freezed by German tanks in their own hexes).

In retrospect, I made several mistakes: I tried to fight the German armor up front and not first lead them into my own AT Gun's field of fire; I failed to block the road (even with wrecks) so as to prevent the German trucks from running down the road. Still, the scenario does put a lot of restrictions on the French (they have a nice AT Gun, but very few places to put it where it can be sure to see the German tanks), and I'm not sure how I could have done much better.

So I'm not sure I'll replay the scenario many times, but as a learning tool, it was pretty good :)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In retrospect, I made several mistakes: I tried to fight the German armor up front and not first lead them into my own AT Gun's field of fire; I failed to block the road (even with wrecks) so as to prevent the German trucks from running down the road
I have played this one a year ago or two. You precisely analyzed what broke your neck, I believe.

von Marwitz

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Smashing the Hook ASL AP90 British/ Indian counterattack to re-open a road, Burma 1942. The IJA held for a bit at the first roadblock. Then fell back to the second, where the fight began in earnest. Neither side was able to shoot very well, so a lot of this came down to CC. I tried and failed to get the area around the second roadblock cleared out on the second to last turn. In the last turn, I cleared out the area around the roadblock in G17 for the win. Nice scenario.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP 129 A Bitter Day 1939 infantry only scenario from PiF. The Poles have 7 turns to take all buildings on 7b but have to start on BFP R. The Germans are lightly outfitted at start but get considerable reinforcements (the Poles get a platoon w/ a leader). We agreed to give the Poles the balance which allowed me to battle harden a 9-1 and three 437s. I came up the gut hard and was able to sniff out all the dummies and took a German squad prisoner the first two turns. The 9-2 led the assault on the forward buildings while I split off my force and made a push for the ones in the back. But the Germans were falling back fast after I overran their forward positions. I was able to get the front buildings and the one in the back left of 7b before the German reinforcements came in Turn 5. A platoon and a leader came for the aforementioned back left 7b building and the rest reinforced the remaining four I needed to take. By the end of my last Turn, I took two more buildings and was poised to jump the remaining two for CC. The 9-2 had died in the final push but I had some good hob luck this game and got a few extra leaders, a hero, and a fanatic 458. Both CCs went into Melees for the last German turn with 11 to 9 my favor in one hex alone. That was the hex with the fanatic squad, the hero, a 458, an 8-1, and a 8-0. I was poised with the units that didn't make it into CC to encircle that hex with fire and decided to risk my 8 and 9 moral units against the German 7 and 8s. It worked. After Encircling and then hitting the hex w/ a 12 +1 in my last Defensive Fire, I was left w/ 4 to 1 odds in the hex. I ended up taking both Melees and had staved off the attack on the outlier building for the Polish win.

Fun scenario. The Pole balance is huge imo.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dr.Haasl and I played J187 “In Deadly Combat” yesterday.(as recommended by Gor-Gor)
A really interesting scenario for both sides.
Unfortunately, for my Germans, their inability to cause casualties to the Russians, doomed their defense from the first DR. We both elected to bring on the reinforcing armor, so the VCs stayed the same. With how ineffective my vehicles were, I probably shouldn’t have bothered with the Stugs.(all my vehicles, except for the half-track, suffered Shock results which resulted in their demise, thanks to consecutive 6s...or death in CC while under the Shock counter)
Dr.Dave used the German’s inability to do damage to steadily push forward and capture all the Victory buildings by game end.
I’d definitely play this scenario again as either side.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While looking at OA24 Buying Time, it reminded me of J10 Armored Fist in that there is no reason for the attacker to ever stop in the scenario. The French have to exit 12 VP points off of basically one board length (two half boards butted together). I don't like these types of scenarios because 1) it's very small so dice can play a larger role than they should, and 2) there's not much for the "convoy" player to do. However, it was next up in our playing queue so we had to try it. I was the French and took the western route even though that meant all my vehicles would have to go 4-wheeling eventually. My opponent set up stronger on the east but had enough FP to interdict the western portion of the road. Unfortunately, his rolling was pretty poor. I don't think he ever got rate with any of his weapons, both bazookas malfunctioned, the resid didn't do much, and later in the game he had a chance to set up a devastating fire lane across the short length of the playing area and of course he rolled a 12. For my part, I just pressed forward and never stopped. The only guys I left behind (besides those that broke) were two half squads - one toting a MTR and the other a MMG to use for interdiction. In my estimation, the French should get torn up in this scenario, but things just didn't turn out that way. Even though I "won" as the French, I'd have to not recommend it for them. It's just not very exciting moving without ever really shooting back. For the Americans, I suppose it can be used as a training scenario to teach someone how to shoot at unarmored vehicles and motorcycles.