So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I won a match of J193 RAFF'S RULES with the Americans against Tom Arnold. I went for a win-by-exit strategy, trying to avoid the AA guns and the strength of the German defence. My troops went up their right side. I lost one squad early to the FL through the woods down the road; I had seen that possibility pre-game, but forgot about it during the game. That was the only American CVP loss during the game. The Germans shifted fairly well, but the Americans were able to break the MMG crew to continue down the right side. The small flak gun was mid-board in woods and pivoted to shoot at the Americans with limited LOS and without effect. It and its crew went down in CC. The ART pieces fired every phase that they could, but one of them broke mid-game and eliminated itself on a repair attempt (for two additional American points). The 88 was in woods more on the American left and German rear, so it had a very hindered LOS to the Americans. It put some acqs down, but never hurt anyone. By turn 5, most of the Americans were in the last woods clump on the right. Their fire broke some of the Germans positioned there and two Germans LMG broke during that turn. As the Americans started exiting on the last turn, the German MMG cowered, which opened the way for them. The Americans ended with 29 points to the German 10.

Last edited:

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a fun scenario today, OB6 First Clash in Tunisia. I had to make a copy of the other half of board 25 since I only have one. That sucked up so much ink the paper curled when it came out of the copier! The opening bombardment for my Germans wasn't as effective as I hoped but it did rubble the two closest buildings to the German start up side. Though it only KIAed two half squads, it did open the door for an early push towards the village center. I took the fourth building on turn four. With only one unbroken squad left, my friend called it after German turn 4. Nothing sticks out as particularly noteworthy as far as tactics; I just kept pushing my guys forward since there are only 4 1/2 turns. As for the British, perhaps they need to stay close to the village and keep feeding squads into the buildings. Once the German assault engineers enter them, they are very hard to root out. One problem we ran into was large amounts of units crammed into a very small playing area. I don't know how many times we toppled stacks over, but it was a lot. Overall, though, a good scenario and I'd recommend it for either side.

Last edited:

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ASLOK batch
AP74 - Batty-P - Subtle, complex, exciting, balanced - the right ingredients for a great scenario
Thanks for the great review!
Now, do it in French (it sounds much better). ;)

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J 167 Hart Attack for the first time. My opponent was Fredkors. I had the Attacking British and I was able to control 6 buildings, leave the board with one tank and attack and destroy two German tanks in CC by the end of turn 5 when the Germans resigned. Having already 9 VPs (on 7 required) and no chances to lose three or more buildings the game was ended in advance. I lost two tanks and a few HS. The German AT Gun was unable to have a role ( It missed the only shot fired against a HD tank ) and so the game was rather one sided.
That said I think the scenario is fun, I would replay it as German and I think that while it is finely balanced at the end, the German Player has a much more difficult work than the attacker. He have to use all the tricks to stay in the game, starting with an optimal intial setup and a good flexible plan to face the British attack that can follow several very different lines.
Thanks for the report, Enrico.
The German situation was meant to test the player's ability to, with respect to The Greatest, "float like a buttlerfly and sting like a bee". It's a difficult challenge if one is not up to speed on recognizing tempo and early-on detection of looming threats before they obtain critical mass, as well as defensive maneuvering behind the line of battle.

G.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just finished J193 Raff's Rules. Called it a German win after end of US 4.

ROAR has this as very balanced but I have to say that surprises me. That the German is almost certain to get 6 to 8 VP from his guns the Americans can get within LOS to them I think presents a real challenge to the US.

For my Germans I bought the HIP HS, 2 wire and the HMG for rate. The American bought the DCs, MMG and hero. I set up my defense basically at the hex 10/0 line. The guns were in the north east corner in sS4 and sT3. The rattled off VP each turn, earning me 7 (one boxcar'd his T4 DF). My 88 was in uV0 and the HMG covering it in uXO. I put everyone in foxeholes that I could. The 20L was in sFF9 covering the wire in uCC1 and uDD1.

The American attacked with all but two half squads between columns uR and uX. The woods at uT2 was to be his fire base. It is also things went poorly. Some excellent rolling by the Germans (both in terms of shooting and passing MC's) really stalled the american attack. The 10-2 was wounded then killed in T3, as was the purchased Hero and 1.5 squads. The 88 gun crew did go down to an excellent shot by the America RCL in T3 so there was a slight opening for the US in T4.

However again great German rolling passing MCs, generating Heros, putting up a wall of fire and even some luck in CC closed the door on the Americans. By the end of American T4 the Germans had 16 VP to American 3. The US had only 5 good order units so called it.

Overall a fun scenario. I think the Americans need to attack on the right. I also think Americans should get the BAZs for the WP. However that is dicey - like much of this small, closely fought scenario. A hot streak by one side can make this a one sided affair. All and all, it is perfect for a quick afternoon or as an introduction to guns.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the report, Enrico.
The German situation was meant to test the player's ability to, with respect to The Greatest, "float like a buttlerfly and sting like a bee". It's a difficult challenge if one is not up to speed on recognizing tempo and early-on detection of looming threats before they obtain critical mass, as well as defensive maneuvering behind the line of battle.G.
Gary, Hart Attack was an excellent scenario. Can you give us any peek into what ASL product you are working on and when it might see the light of day? I have always appreciated your work and your scenarios are always on my playlist.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
At the Ottawa ASL meet up I got completely destroyed in ASL 126 Commando Schenke. My lovely opponent put on a clinic on how to rip apart a defense and use the full skills of Assault Engineers.

This is one of those scenarios where the trick is in the SSR/set up instructions. The Russians must set up >/= 6MMC close the starting line and not in the fortified victory location (the big factory on board 1). I should have taken that as a clue that if the Russians put their entire force in the victory building it breaks the scenario so the Russian should put as many dudes in the location as they legally could.

Instead I tried to do a bit of a fighting withdrawal back to the victory building. My MGs were to drop nice fire-lanes and I was to cut up the Germans dashing forward. Instead my forces were spread out, easily isolated and just melted in the face of far superior firepower.

My sniper did kill his 10-2 in turn 2 though. Highest power leader I've ever killed with a sniper. So that was cool.

Overall, a fun little scenario with some fun, simple toys.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
At the Ottawa ASL meet up I got completely destroyed in ASL 126 Commando Schenke. My lovely opponent put on a clinic on how to rip apart a defense and use the full skills of Assault Engineers.
I underestimated René once. A methodical planner, he is very adept at pre-game analysis. (In addition to a couple of blunders that could have cost me the game today, I was fortunate that my opponent's 7-4-7 Assault Engineers spared me the full wrath of their Asssault Fire.)

Sorry you couldn't make the après ASL. The grub at the brew pub was tasty (Next time I'll have to try the fusion dish that Martin had.), and the beverages were worth the 2-klick drive. Great recommendation! :)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I finished a PBEM game of BFP 106 Going Postal (Poland in Flames) today, as the Germans.

The scenario looked nice on the card, with lots of toys on the German side (Assault Engineers with FT and DC, some Gun towing), unusual units (the PiF low-quality SS - half the German OB is made of 4-3-7, which are considered Green). On the Polish side: all three victory buildings must be controlled by the Germans, and one is far from the other two; they have a heavily fortified (+5) building, are Fanatics in it, and have the possibility of a nice ambush with a HIP squad and hero.

But in practice, the setup restrictions mean the first victory building is bound to fall very quickly, and it's hard to save the Partisans that occupy it initially. In my game, the Poles were mostly in the Post Office (the fortified building), with mostly dummies up front. This slowed me down only a little, and almost my entire OB reached the outside of the main victory building by turn 4, under cover of heavy smoke; then the Polish defenders were trapped in it and could only rout upstairs when they broke to FT fire.

By the end of German turn 6, all that remained of the Polish OB were a Hero and squad in building V8, and an encircled squad in the upper levels of the Post Office. By the end of Polish turn 6 only the Hero remained, wounded; he died in Prep Fire on the last German turn (I was getting ready to take him out in CC with 3x8-3-8 if needed).

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finished a PBEM game of BFP 106 Going Postal (Poland in Flames) today, as the Germans.

The scenario looked nice on the card, with lots of toys on the German side (Assault Engineers with FT and DC, some Gun towing), unusual units (the PiF low-quality SS - half the German OB is made of 4-3-7, which are considered Green). On the Polish side: all three victory buildings must be controlled by the Germans, and one is far from the other two; they have a heavily fortified (+5) building, are Fanatics in it, and have the possibility of a nice ambush with a HIP squad and hero.

But in practice, the setup restrictions mean the first victory building is bound to fall very quickly, and it's hard to save the Partisans that occupy it initially. In my game, the Poles were mostly in the Post Office (the fortified building), with mostly dummies up front. This slowed me down only a little, and almost my entire OB reached the outside of the main victory building by turn 4, under cover of heavy smoke; then the Polish defenders were trapped in it and could only rout upstairs when they broke to FT fire.

By the end of German turn 6, all that remained of the Polish OB were a Hero and squad in building V8, and an encircled squad in the upper levels of the Post Office. By the end of Polish turn 6 only the Hero remained, wounded; he died in Prep Fire on the last German turn (I was getting ready to take him out in CC with 3x8-3-8 if needed).
Well, that is definitely bitter ending it. :)

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aces Over Eights KE 9 Played with the second set of VC- the SS have to have X amount of VP by the 16T9 farmhouse. Truly a knife fight in a phone booth scenario. The Brits can get to the VC area first, but have only 2 Fireflies. The Tigers can kill what ever they see. Brit OBA kept the SS infantry respectful. The 10-2 AL in the Tiger was devastating, but the 2 Fireflies were able to cause enough damage to hold on for the win. Great scenario.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Well, that is definitely bitter ending it. :)
Yeah, something like the historical aftermath as described on the scenario card - except my SS didn't stop to make any prisoners, so I couldn't execute them afterwards.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Finished a PBEM game of J4 WET SAWAHS. Good for learning rice paddies because they are difficult to avoid for the whole scenario. I had the Japanese attackers. It looked bad for the Japanese early when one ATR destroyed three tanks and the second ATR immobilized a fourth. Dutch high mark was a 52 VP lead at the end of turn 6. After that, the Japanese exited units and lots of prisoners to make a Dutch win impossible.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, something like the historical aftermath as described on the scenario card - except my SS didn't stop to make any prisoners, so I couldn't execute them afterwards.
Well now, who's fault is that?:p

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played WO23 A Simple Solution with @jovieni finishing today. My Americans made a late game push to get into a bunch of CCs and wrestle control of the VC buildings away from the stubborn Germans. Joe did make an interesting with some well placed HIP units mucking up my plans but the American firepower and range ended up being too much for the Germans. Very fun little all infantry scenario with great replay value due to the varying OB possibilities by SSR.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played OA25 Side By Side as the attacking Germans. Tough decisions for the allies in this one as they have to withstand two waves of three stukas each. My friend played it very conservatively in order to not give my planes an opportunity to play a decisive role. However, by doing so, the planes did have a major effect as he hunkered down in cover waiting for the planes to come and go. Their attacks weren't very effective as they only ended up killing one squad and breaking two others. I pushed straight up the middle and took the victory locations by turn 4. On turn 6 he retook the westernmost location. Prep fire at the top of the last turn KIAed the 1/2 squad holding it (12 MC roll) and a German advance into the hex sealed the victory. I think the allies need to seriously defend the village and have squads dig in to set up fire lanes to run the length of the bridge. They know the planes are going to come one way or another so after the automatic first wave, I think they need to move. At worst, three squads go down, but if the allies deploy, they can mitigate their losses. On paper the scenario didn't look too great, but it turned out to be a fun little scenario. The Germans don't have much strategy to think about, just push forward. Most of the decision making comes from the allies. Having said that, I'd recommend it for either side.

Last edited: