Would you consider "The Longest Day" a classic film?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
If the movie was Russian, maybe you think about the "Admiral" from 2001? It's a movie about Alexander Kolchak, with a Russian Civil War as a theme.

[video=youtube;CjKHYENLThw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjKHYENLThw[/video]
Thats the one! Thanks. Have you seen it? Any good?

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Thats the one! Thanks. Have you seen it? Any good?
It's a bit uneven - overall it's very decent movie, but has some boring moments. It's a movie mostly about admiral Kolchak, because of that it's hard to say that it's a war movie - and at the same time hard to say it isn't one, cause admiral's life in 1917-1921 was bounded with war.

Director paid great attention to details, and so the costumes are marvellous, so are historical battle scenes (very panoramic, epic I might say).

All in all I recommend it :thumup:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Hard to mix "Stalingrad" with "Enemy at the Gates" - former is a (anti)war movie, latter is a western with war theme.

As to Stalingrad, watched it again not so long ago, it's still very... good movie, Vilsmaier's pearl. What I found new about it is this precise attention to the details.

Enemy at the Gates is still also a good one, but it's... well, in the town, overcomed by bad guys (Germans) the good guys (Russians) found good gunslinger (sniper) who kills bad guys. So the bad guys send for a bad gunslinger to kill good gunslinger. Hello, mr. Leone :) It's why I like this movie, great pastiche, and really nicely done.
"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben", 1959 German film holds up well and I prefer it over the more recent Stalingrad films. Check it out on YouTube.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
It's a bit uneven - overall it's very decent movie, but has some boring moments. It's a movie mostly about admiral Kolchak, because of that it's hard to say that it's a war movie - and at the same time hard to say it isn't one, cause admiral's life in 1917-1921 was bounded with war.

Director paid great attention to details, and so the costumes are marvellous, so are historical battle scenes (very panoramic, epic I might say).

All in all I recommend it :thumup:
I thought it was pretty good though the copy I bought was in Ukrainian so I have yet to completely understand it. Note to self, read lables more carefully.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The Admiral was a 10 hour mini series on Russian television. It was cropped and edited into a 2 hour film with subtitles for DVD release. Therefore the film we can see has got great sections missing compared to the original.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben", 1959 German film holds up well and I prefer it over the more recent Stalingrad films. Check it out on YouTube.
Checked, preparing to watch. Thank you :)

I thought it was pretty good though the copy I bought was in Ukrainian so I have yet to completely understand it. Note to self, read lables more carefully.
I feel your pain, dubbing is something that will never get me.

The Admiral was a 10 hour mini series on Russian television. It was cropped and edited into a 2 hour film with subtitles for DVD release. Therefore the film we can see has got great sections missing compared to the original.
Didn't know that, but the same goes for "Leningrad" movie I've discovered yesterday, because of this the movie has mixed opinions. I would love to see the miniseries, alas the movie is the only thing I can get at the moment.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
[video=youtube;80o4lPb4tsA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80o4lPb4tsA[/video]

This is one I had never heard of before. It's not a combat film, but it's the second world war, all right.

JR

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I saw this film back in the late sixties. Two of my favorite actors, Oscar Werner and Richard Basehart.

I just started watch a new Russian WWII serial here in Ukraine last night. "The last uprising of Spartacus". It is a product of some of the new recognition of WWII realities in Russia. Deals with three friends who all end up at a labor camp in Karelia in 1946. One is a pilot who bombed Berlin in July 1941, is shot down on the way back to base (Saaremaa Island, Estonia) and ends up fighting with the Polish AK underground. He is of course sentenced after the war to the GULag where he meets the one imprisoned friend, a professional thief, and the other friend, a camp officer. Good material and interesting to watch.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I just saw part of a film I have never heard of on TCM, Imitation General. Glenn Ford is a sergeant who takes on a general's identity after the general is killed so he can stop the Hun offensive. Can't say it was the best film ever, but not the worst either. Mildly amusing.

JR

Last edited:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
REO Speedwagon, now I get it...lol

At least Rush and Triumph are cool...

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Canada....

PLEASE take back the juvenile delinquent (Beiber) before he causes any more problems.

I saw what he did in Chicago..... That would make me mad if he "stepped on" ANY team logo just to take a stupid picture......

The "Li'l Beiber Biotch" needs his ass royally kicked.......

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Canada....

PLEASE take back the juvenile delinquent (Beiber) before he causes any more problems.

I saw what he did in Chicago..... That would make me mad if he "stepped on" ANY team logo just to take a stupid picture......

Did you see what they did in Boston? They put a barrier around their logo.

What a giant douche!

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They're all actors/entertainers of varying levels of talent and abiliity. John Wayne earned his living pretending to be something he wasn't. How does that influence the real fabric of America? :nuts::clown:
Well, Canada has been pretending to be something it isn't since the end of WWII...an independent country. :p :laugh:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Canada....

I'm kinda hoping we can unload him onto you lot. He certainly seems to be emulating some of the "best" American entertainers.