• No! Deluxe Sux!

Votes: 22 19.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm with Mark - devote energy to the regular sized boards. DASL boards are cool, but that line of boards is pretty much ended.
What isn't mentioned, but what should be (IMO), is that the existing DASL boards were hand-painted by Charlie Kibler - and if you look closely you can see the infinite detail he used. They're paintings. If this is one big reason for the beauty of the DASL boards (which it is for me), realize that this technique of producing boards is no longer used by anyone (unfortunately :()
So, why the popularity of DASL? Is it the convenient size of DASL hexes, or their very nice visual appeal - or a bit of both? If it's only the former, then there's no reason for someone to not simply blow up the size of the existing geoboards. Some guys seem to be OK with purely functional components, and simply don't care. I think that if any future DASL boards are poorly executed or simply blown up computerized maps - count me out.:bored:
They need to look good, because when it looks good - it feels good. ;)

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, why the popularity of DASL? Is it the convenient size of DASL hexes, or their very nice visual appeal - or a bit of both?
hey Don,
I think it is both; although I lean more towards the aesthetic appeal camp
as to why I like the DASL boards. The larger size of the hexes is kinda
cool, but my eyesight isn't so bad that the oversized hexes figures into
why I like them!:laugh:
co

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Don that painted maps is the way to go if MMP is going to do more DASL boards. So I recommend that MMP commission either Charlie (in his spare time) or Don (after he finishes painting HASL maps) to paint some new DASL boards. I think the general sentiment has been for village or transition boards (none including any bocage). 2-4 new boards along with some new overlays and 8-12 scenarios would be a sweet addition to the official ASL fold. I'm sure they could quickly hit P500.

Now Mark you can throw a hissy fit/express your opinion.

Bill

L'Emperor

WorldConquest, In40mChunks
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I'm with Mark - devote energy to the regular sized boards. DASL boards are cool, but that line of boards is pretty much ended.
I think the major reason these ended was because of limited availability more than an innate problem with the concept. Not enough boards and many players do not have them. They are absolutely awesome for congested terrain.

Is it the convenient size of DASL hexes, ... then there's no reason for someone to not simply blow up the size of the existing geoboards.
There is a major reason: where do I get extra thick vehicle counters? Also, as you point out, the artwork is important and would have distortion from enlarging.

They're paintings. If this is one big reason for the beauty of the DASL boards (which it is for me), realize that this technique of producing boards is no longer used by anyone (unfortunately :()
I think it wrong that a computer generated board is inevitably inferior than a 'hand painted' board. It is just that the artistic merit of some of the computer generated boards is lacking.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Deluxe was a failed experiment and a failed attempt to sell miniatures for ASL.

Please stick to regular sized mapboards and historical maps. There are too many terrain features missing from the regular boards to spend time creating more DASL boards.

I can't remember the last time I played on a DASL board as I don't even have those boards in my travel kit. Maybe it was when I playtested Scobie Preserves?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First, I would buy new DASL boards if they conveyed new terrain...Russian balkas and steppe, PTO jungle and beaches, forests surounding a small lake, hills and forest, small Euro-style village w/narrow streets...just a couple ideas. The Deluxe boards make a nice change of pace once in a while. I dig mine out about two - three times a year.
Second, once again a simple thread degenerates into a bickering event...sheesh!

fwheel73

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys, notice that this thread was started almost 2 years ago. I was just curious ;)

There has been some DASL stuff submitted, so we're chatting about it.
I would pitch a ***** fit if resources were devoted to new DASL boards that could otherwise have been used to make new real boards.
I think the major reason these ended was because of limited availability more than an innate problem with the concept. Not enough boards and many players do not have them. They are absolutely awesome for congested terrain.

There is a major reason: where do I get extra thick vehicle counters? Also, as you point out, the artwork is important and would have distortion from enlarging.

I think it wrong that a computer generated board is inevitably inferior than a 'hand painted' board. It is just that the artistic merit of some of the computer generated boards is lacking.
Don is right about the beautiful artwork on the DASL. And Mark is probably correct about the explosion there would be in Ohio(?) if MMP disagreed with him:D:hush:. Seriously, when there is time.... and a person to do the artwork (or proper computer art) then MMP will add this project. SK type maps, or other strong materials, will make DASL maps available for all who don't have them... but should.... and at a reasonable price.

Chas any insight you might add on this back burner--the one in the back 40-- would be interesting (if you have the time from your current projects)!

Best regards,:salute:
John

L'Emperor

WorldConquest, In40mChunks
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
What I would like, since we are into wishing here, is something in between. Larger hexes for those of us digitally challanged but slightly smaller hexes to increase the scope of the board. I know DASL was an attempt to introduce miniatures (hey, I like playing with toy tanks), but that does not mean they are without merit even if only using cardboard.

I do think that they should be limited to dense terrain (urban, hedgrows, jungle) where their advantages outweigh the drawbacks. Desert DASL? Kinda a waste.

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
What I would like, since we are into wishing here, is something in between. Larger hexes for those of us digitally challanged but slightly smaller hexes to increase the scope of the board.
I have been experimenting with enlarging standard boards via a colour photocopier in the office (when the boss isn't looking). What I have found so far is that the SK style boards seem to enlarge better than the older, painted boards. The computer generated graphics are cripser and cleaner under enlargement while the painted boards can get a little blurred.

The best part is that you can adjust the level of enlargement to suit your available playing area, eyesight & dexterity. If I limit myself to 2 board scenarios (and that covers a great deal of ASL), then a 200% enlargement works OK. I then use 2 5/8" counters glued together to check for VBM clearance.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hell ya, bring on DASL !

I love DASL, some of my most enjoyable ASL games were DASL. I'd like to see more DASL boards/packs before new geo-boards/packs. I wouldn't mind seeing DASL boards reduced to 80% or so size so they're roughly the same size dimensions as geo boards.

byouse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I recommend that MMP commission either Charlie (in his spare time)
Charlie is busy painting maps for us for the first "out west" game in the Great Campaigns of the American Civil War series right now. (yes, that was an outright advertisement. :) )

Perhaps when he's done we'll talk with him and Chas to see what Chas has planned after AP5 (later this year by the sounds of it...)

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Is MMP taking outside submissions for AP 5? Or can people send in submissions?

BTW, would also love to see another set of Deluxe boards.

Scott