What boardgames have you played recently?

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
PS3: I just finished Uncharted 3, I loved it!!! Will play it soon again...
PS3: Dark Souls, tough as nails RPG (Brutal Difficulty)
PC: Panzer Corps from Matrix Games (modern Panzer General)
Board Game: Steel Wolves: The German Submarine Campaign Against Allied Shipping - Vol 1, so far only played one U-Boat patrol mission....

I'm waiting for Normandy 44 (I have Ardennes 44) and ASL CH Ponyri module (the map looks amazing!)

Last edited:

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Played my first 11 point series of backgammon in ages last night. This time for pure points, no $5 a point. I almost miss the semi-pro scene with the Turkish and Greek Cypriots in Wellington, but it was fun to play something lite. Not even tempted to play it regularly anymore, though-

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
A couple weeks ago, I played Settlers of Catan for the first time in five years. I remember why it's been five years. I won and handily, but it's really a crap game.

S
Hi!

While I am not certain its a crap game, but, I gotta agree with you in the fact I do not like it. I'd rather go elsewhere for my gaming. But I am not a huge Euro fan at all.........

Peace

Roger

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi!

While I am not certain its a crap game, but, I gotta agree with you in the fact I do not like it. I'd rather go elsewhere for my gaming. But I am not a huge Euro fan at all.........

Peace

Roger
My feelings as well Roger on Settlers.

Recent games:

Smallworld-4 players: Good fun.

Dominion-4 players: A quick playing deck building game. I like it but not enough to buy it.

Descent-5 player: Jim Burris hosted a game a month ago in St. Louis which i drove down for. Lots of carnage with the Overlord crushing us pretty handily. Love Descent. I'll buy it when the 2nd edition comes out.

GMT's Musket & Pike: Playing the Warksow scenario tomorrow night from the Scanian War module. Great game series that i haven't played in 3 years so i'll have some rust to shake off.

Derf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Board Game: Steel Wolves: The German Submarine Campaign Against Allied Shipping - Vol 1, so far only played one U-Boat patrol mission....
Hi Jaguar

How do you like Steel Wolves?

I have Silent War and am 3 weeks into the total campaign. Very cool - but the American torpedos suck. In three weeks I have only sunk 4 ships for 10 tons.

Derf

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Dominion-4 players: A quick playing deck building game. I like it but not enough to buy it.
Smallworld falls in the okay category for me.

I think Dominion is great, but only if you have some Intrigue cards in there. The Intrigue cards make it much more interactive. Without them, it is too much serial solitaire...

Steve

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Card Game: Game of Thrones LCG

RPG: Call of Cthulhu

Video Game: Red Dead Redemption

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I think Dominion is great, but only if you have some Intrigue cards in there. The Intrigue cards make it much more interactive. Without them, it is too much serial solitaire...

Steve
I agree with both these sentiments. Family likes them so I'll play them, but because I can count better than any of them it becomes... "anybody but Dad".

JT

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

wow, there are people that still play pencil and paper RPG's?

Amazing

Scott
LOL Yeah Scott. Can't see ever playing D&D again what with WOW - but good old Call still works really well on the table top - and their scenanrios and campaigns are some of teh best written stuff on the market. I can't see evr stopping this one.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My feelings as well Roger on Settlers.

Recent games:

Descent-5 player: Jim Burris hosted a game a month ago in St. Louis which i drove down for. Lots of carnage with the Overlord crushing us pretty handily. Love Descent. I'll buy it when the 2nd edition comes out.

GMT's Musket & Pike: Playing the Warksow scenario tomorrow night from the Scanian War module. Great game series that i haven't played in 3 years so i'll have some rust to shake off.
Smallworld is good clean fun, especially with the first two expansions. Unfortunately, it's not the cup of tea for the other players in my group, so i dont get to play it. I have this for sale or trade if anyone is interested. $30 for the main game and all three expansions.

Introduced Dominion to 7 different people on two different occasions. Blah was the reaction I got from all 7 and I wasn't that impressed myself. Traded it away.

Descent is the game of choice for my 13 year old twins. We're currently playing the Sea of Blood campaign with two of their scouting friends. It adds character development and adavancement, and gives the Overlord player (me) lots of fun stuff to do.

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Steve
Non-wargames fall into 3 groups for me:

"No thanks." Settlers, RoboRally

"If you guy(s) want to play." Dominion, Smallworld, Puerto Rico

"Anywhere, anytime." Descent, Mansions of Madness

Wargames get just 2 categories:

"I'll play it."

and

"I won't play it."

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
Hi Jaguar

How do you like Steel Wolves?

I have Silent War and am 3 weeks into the total campaign. Very cool - but the American torpedos suck. In three weeks I have only sunk 4 ships for 10 tons.

Derf
Hi Derf,

So far I only had time to play one patrol mission but I will be definitely going back. I want to finish all the patrols and the progress from smaller operations until the full campaign. I like the game, actually I believe it's more of a simulation than a game. Yeah the first patrol I played my torpedoes suck as well and I don't like surface combat as it's very dangerous. In my first patrol I sunk 3 merchants but not enough tonnage to complete the mission. I just finished watching U-boat director's cut movie and finished book as well called Iron Coffins so I'm in some mood for some U-boat action :)

I would suggest you buy Imperial Japanese Navy expansion pack for Silent War, it adds a bit more depth to the game and brings the game close to Steel Wolves from gameplay/rules perspective.Here is a pretty cheap price:

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/imjanasiware.html

Last edited:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hi Derf,

So far I only had time to play one patrol mission but I will be definitely going back. I want to finish all the patrols and the progress from smaller operations until the full campaign. I like the game, actually I believe it's more of a simulation than a game. Yeah the first patrol I played my torpedoes suck as well and I don't like surface combat as it's very dangerous. In my first patrol I sunk 3 merchants but not enough tonnage to complete the mission. I just finished watching U-boat director's cut movie and finished book as well called Iron Coffins so I'm in some mood for some U-boat action :)

I would suggest you buy Imperial Japanese Navy expansion pack for Silent War, it adds a bit more depth to the game and brings the game close to Steel Wolves from gameplay/rules perspective.Here is a pretty cheap price:

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/imjanasiware.html
Thanks!

I am thinking of giving Silent War a go as my next solo project, seriously considering the Japanese Navy Expansion.....

Peace

Roger

Last edited: