So what Starter Kit Scenario have you played recently?

Discussion in 'ASL Starter Kits' started by custardpie, Feb 19, 2010.

1. sunoftzu

sunoftzu Active Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I have not seen much of David lately, and we haven't played ASLSK in an age it seems, but we got together for a game last Sunday. Prior to that, I visited the fish market in Zhu Wei to get some crab to cook for him and his wife.

Since we haven't played in a while, we settled for a fairly simple infantry scenario from ASLSK EP#1, S-051 "Enter The Young", with David getting the defending Germans, myself with the attacking Americans.

In this scenario, the Americans start with a slight numerical advantage (14 squads to 10), but the Germans get 3 reinforcing squads (with a 9-2 leader) arriving turn 3. The VCs require the Americans to have a GO MMC in either sH4 or rP5 at the game end. David had his defense pretty evenly spread between the 2 objectives, and given the distance, I always thought that rP5 would be the most difficult to reinforce, so my plan was to isolate and overwhelm rP5. I think David might have under-defended rP5, but even so, the game was quite evenly balanced at the end of 2 turns.

But in turn 3, things really fell apart for the Germans; most on account of some poor MC DRs. This put David heavily on the back foot, and he was never able to recover, and rP5 and its surrounding area became an American fortress by the end of turn 5. To be quite fair, the lop-sided DRs make this a less-than-spectacular game, although I'd be happy to play it again, especially as a German defender.

The crab was delicious, however......

John.

2. sunoftzu

sunoftzu Active Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Robin and I finished off S-023 "Monty's Mess" a week or so ago. Robin had the defending British, and I had the attacking Germans.

This is my 3rd playing of this scenario, and its a tough looking scenario for the Germans in terms of VCs. If 2+ AFVs fail to exit, then your odds of winning are pretty slim. The problem is, 4.5 turns and 6 squads, one halfsquad isn't exactly a sweeping wave of infantry to flush out the guns with. The British infantry are pretty strong, too.

Robin set up British in very forward positions. His squads were in hexes k7, m9, n3 and n6. 2 ATGs are waiting also. I had anticipated a much deeper defense, and had all my infantry (including leaders) moving through as much (able-to-HIP-in) terrain as possible, whilst the AFVs waited in reserve (as best they could). Not surprisingly, I took some heavy infantry casualties (including the 8-1, who got KIA'ed) on the first turn !!

I was able to strike back in the first DFPh, breaking 2 squads with crisp 75mm gun fire, later eliminating a British leader and squad for FTR. But I also lost an AFV to an ATG in k2. So, at the end of turn 1, I have taken even infantry losses with the British, and still have enough exit VPs to win (so long as I don't lose another AFV). There is still 1 HIP ATG lurking........ (refer to the top picture)

So, now it's a race against time. Find the last gun whilst trying to wear down the British infantry. I took a slow and methodical approach, flushing out the last ATG in h5 without any losses. After breaking 1 squad, and KIA'ing another, both remaining AFVs left the board during the turn 4 MPh. I never quite managed to knock out the last ATG in h5, but the AFVs were easily able to move around it, whilst the infantry used all 5 turns and were able to get in position to exit the remaining 3VP needed to win.

A very tight game in the end. One would usually recommend more depth in defense, but I have to say that I was kicked pretty hard at the start, and was only barely able to recover in the end.

(the second picture shows positions at the start of the German turn 5 MPh)

John. S-023-Ger-02-RPh-gif.gif S-023-Ger-05-MPh-gif.gif

John.

3. sunoftzu

sunoftzu Active Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Robin and I finished off another logfile game, DaE-001 "Ambush At De Hoop".

It's a very small scenario, simulating British infantry ambushing a Tiger platoon. However, in our playing of it, the Tigers were unaffected by the PIATs, and by the start of British turn 3, all onboard British MMCs were broken and isolated from their 8-1 leader. Although there is still 1 HIP British 457 and PIAT, Robin has accepted that destroying 3 Tigers in the last turn is beyond his ability and raised the white flag.....
    DaE-001-Brit-03-RPh-gif.gif

John.

4. Megaloman

Megaloman Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Malmö
    Haven't tried it myself, but from your report and looking at the scenario, I think it seems dicey.

5. Tredegar

Tredegar New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Louisiana
    Played S7 against a friend that I introduced into ASL. He's had the game for a while now but our schedules never meshed where we could play. He was going against his 10 year old son and played S1 against him, but his sons' attention span ran out when rules questions came into play. We had a good time and were not really playing to win, more to learn the rules and get the flow of the game. I have not played ASL in more than 15-20 years so this is a good reawakening for me. We made a couple of mistakes, I , in particular, forgot that MMGs' cannot fire in the AFPH if they had moved in the movement phase, and we both made mistakes in routing. The game went well, my opponent took the Germans and set up a forward defense. His defense held until turn 4 when I managed to break most of his squads and pushed him back. I ended up with 16 stone locations and a big question. The victory conditions states, "Provided the Germans do not amass>_ 9 CVP, the Americans win at game end if they Control >_ 15 stone building hexes in the German setup area and/or there are no unbroken German MMC in stone building hexes." He only cause 2 CVP damage to me but the the and/or clause of the second statement is confusing. So do I win if I have captured 15 stone building hexes "AND" there are no unbroken German MMC in stone building hexes? Or is it I have captured 15 stone building hexes "or" there are no unbroken German MMC in stone building hexes? The first interpretation I lose. The second interpretation, I win.

6. Perry

Perry Active Member

Feb 4, 2003
    Baltimore, MD

You win. It is "or" or "both".

7. Carln0130

Carln0130 Active Member

Mar 25, 2006
    MA
    Just to help clarify, LMG's CAN fire in the advancing fire phase. Only MMG and HMG types cannot fire after moving from their location in the advancing fire phase.

Sufa likes this.
  8. Just finished SK3 scenario S21 Clash at Borisovka with my 17 yr old son.
    Finally some tank action!
    I won with the Germans with 2 Tigers and 1 Pz IV remaining.
    He exited 3 T-34s and killed 3 Pz IVs.
    I killed 7 T-34s.
    Drove the Tigers up to 9-12 range of the last 2 T-34s and whacked the last one with an intensive fire shot (final Tiger's first shot missed).
    It came down to the last few dice rolls on the last turn, which is what I like.
    Win or lose, as long as it's close, it's a good game.

Sufa likes this.
  9. Tredegar

Tredegar New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Louisiana
    Just finished playing S2 War of the Rats with a friend after a couple week break. His Russians just could not stand up to my firepower, and by the end of turn 5 it was all over. Great game and he really enjoys it. We jumped right into the scenario S4 Welcome Back. He is taking the Germans and I am defending as the Americans. In one turn he learned the hard way that you should not cross open ground against a leader led squad with an MMG that gets rate a few times. We plan on playing a couple more SK1 scenarios and move on to SK2. The amount of rules added by SK2 is not really significant so it should not be a difficult step up.

10. sunoftzu

sunoftzu Active Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Robin and I finished S-035 "The Volga Is Reached!" last week. In this scenario, the German has to capture (and hold) all the building hexes on the eastern side of the map (all those numbered 8+). To help them ,they get good leaders and SWs, and even Stuka attacks (c/- SSR). The Russians get NKVD troops (a mixture of 628 and 426 Squads, led by Commissars), a dug-in T34, a HIP 76* Inf gun, and Snipers. It's pretty much a Starter Kit version of Valor of the Guards , and one of the more chrome-heavy Starter Kit scenarios out there.

I think that the VCs are quite tough on the Germans, given the number of Russians and their urban environment. But my Stuka attacks were devastating (4 bomb hits out of 6. It's 36+0 each time !!!), and his Sniper attacks a lot less so, and by turn 7, I still had a considerable force holding the VC buildings, and Robin understandably decided to call it quits. S-035-Ger-07-DFPh-jpeg.png

Not a lot went Robin's way in this scenario, the one highlight being a 228 crew eliminating a StuGIIIG in CC. One lesson I know he'll take out of this is not to stack (as there is no provision for stacking in ASLSK, and if you have 3 squads stacked in a hex, it becomes a barrier that you can't move/rout through - which creates all sorts of problems).

John.

11. xenovin

xenovin Active Member

Aug 7, 2010
    philly-ish
    I took a look at some of the defender's options in this scenario in the Texas ASL's fanzine Banzai!! #20.1 If your buddy wants to check it out. It definitely is SK on steroids and a fun scenario!