So what Starter Kit Scenario have you played recently?

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
I have not seen much of David lately, and we haven't played ASLSK in an age it seems, but we got together for a game last Sunday. Prior to that, I visited the fish market in Zhu Wei to get some crab to cook for him and his wife.

Since we haven't played in a while, we settled for a fairly simple infantry scenario from ASLSK EP#1, S-051 "Enter The Young", with David getting the defending Germans, myself with the attacking Americans.

In this scenario, the Americans start with a slight numerical advantage (14 squads to 10), but the Germans get 3 reinforcing squads (with a 9-2 leader) arriving turn 3. The VCs require the Americans to have a GO MMC in either sH4 or rP5 at the game end. David had his defense pretty evenly spread between the 2 objectives, and given the distance, I always thought that rP5 would be the most difficult to reinforce, so my plan was to isolate and overwhelm rP5. I think David might have under-defended rP5, but even so, the game was quite evenly balanced at the end of 2 turns.

But in turn 3, things really fell apart for the Germans; most on account of some poor MC DRs. This put David heavily on the back foot, and he was never able to recover, and rP5 and its surrounding area became an American fortress by the end of turn 5. To be quite fair, the lop-sided DRs make this a less-than-spectacular game, although I'd be happy to play it again, especially as a German defender.

The crab was delicious, however......

John.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Robin and I finished off S-023 "Monty's Mess" a week or so ago. Robin had the defending British, and I had the attacking Germans.

This is my 3rd playing of this scenario, and its a tough looking scenario for the Germans in terms of VCs. If 2+ AFVs fail to exit, then your odds of winning are pretty slim. The problem is, 4.5 turns and 6 squads, one halfsquad isn't exactly a sweeping wave of infantry to flush out the guns with. The British infantry are pretty strong, too.

Robin set up British in very forward positions. His squads were in hexes k7, m9, n3 and n6. 2 ATGs are waiting also. I had anticipated a much deeper defense, and had all my infantry (including leaders) moving through as much (able-to-HIP-in) terrain as possible, whilst the AFVs waited in reserve (as best they could). Not surprisingly, I took some heavy infantry casualties (including the 8-1, who got KIA'ed) on the first turn !!

I was able to strike back in the first DFPh, breaking 2 squads with crisp 75mm gun fire, later eliminating a British leader and squad for FTR. But I also lost an AFV to an ATG in k2. So, at the end of turn 1, I have taken even infantry losses with the British, and still have enough exit VPs to win (so long as I don't lose another AFV). There is still 1 HIP ATG lurking........ (refer to the top picture)

So, now it's a race against time. Find the last gun whilst trying to wear down the British infantry. I took a slow and methodical approach, flushing out the last ATG in h5 without any losses. After breaking 1 squad, and KIA'ing another, both remaining AFVs left the board during the turn 4 MPh. I never quite managed to knock out the last ATG in h5, but the AFVs were easily able to move around it, whilst the infantry used all 5 turns and were able to get in position to exit the remaining 3VP needed to win.

A very tight game in the end. One would usually recommend more depth in defense, but I have to say that I was kicked pretty hard at the start, and was only barely able to recover in the end.

(the second picture shows positions at the start of the German turn 5 MPh)

John.S-023-Ger-02-RPh-gif.gif S-023-Ger-05-MPh-gif.gif

John.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Robin and I finished off another logfile game, DaE-001 "Ambush At De Hoop".

It's a very small scenario, simulating British infantry ambushing a Tiger platoon. However, in our playing of it, the Tigers were unaffected by the PIATs, and by the start of British turn 3, all onboard British MMCs were broken and isolated from their 8-1 leader. Although there is still 1 HIP British 457 and PIAT, Robin has accepted that destroying 3 Tigers in the last turn is beyond his ability and raised the white flag.....
DaE-001-Brit-03-RPh-gif.gif

John.

Megaloman

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Haven't tried it myself, but from your report and looking at the scenario, I think it seems dicey.

Tredegar

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played S7 against a friend that I introduced into ASL. He's had the game for a while now but our schedules never meshed where we could play. He was going against his 10 year old son and played S1 against him, but his sons' attention span ran out when rules questions came into play. We had a good time and were not really playing to win, more to learn the rules and get the flow of the game. I have not played ASL in more than 15-20 years so this is a good reawakening for me. We made a couple of mistakes, I , in particular, forgot that MMGs' cannot fire in the AFPH if they had moved in the movement phase, and we both made mistakes in routing. The game went well, my opponent took the Germans and set up a forward defense. His defense held until turn 4 when I managed to break most of his squads and pushed him back. I ended up with 16 stone locations and a big question. The victory conditions states, "Provided the Germans do not amass>_ 9 CVP, the Americans win at game end if they Control >_ 15 stone building hexes in the German setup area and/or there are no unbroken German MMC in stone building hexes." He only cause 2 CVP damage to me but the the and/or clause of the second statement is confusing. So do I win if I have captured 15 stone building hexes "AND" there are no unbroken German MMC in stone building hexes? Or is it I have captured 15 stone building hexes "or" there are no unbroken German MMC in stone building hexes? The first interpretation I lose. The second interpretation, I win.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played S7 against a friend that I introduced into ASL. He's had the game for a while now but our schedules never meshed where we could play. He was going against his 10 year old son and played S1 against him, but his sons' attention span ran out when rules questions came into play. We had a good time and were not really playing to win, more to learn the rules and get the flow of the game. I have not played ASL in more than 15-20 years so this is a good reawakening for me. We made a couple of mistakes, I , in particular, forgot that MMGs' cannot fire in the AFPH if they had moved in the movement phase, and we both made mistakes in routing. The game went well, my opponent took the Germans and set up a forward defense. His defense held until turn 4 when I managed to break most of his squads and pushed him back. I ended up with 16 stone locations and a big question. The victory conditions states, "Provided the Germans do not amass>_ 9 CVP, the Americans win at game end if they Control >_ 15 stone building hexes in the German setup area and/or there are no unbroken German MMC in stone building hexes." He only cause 2 CVP damage to me but the the and/or clause of the second statement is confusing. So do I win if I have captured 15 stone building hexes "AND" there are no unbroken German MMC in stone building hexes? Or is it I have captured 15 stone building hexes "or" there are no unbroken German MMC in stone building hexes? The first interpretation I lose. The second interpretation, I win.

You win. It is "or" or "both".

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just to help clarify, LMG's CAN fire in the advancing fire phase. Only MMG and HMG types cannot fire after moving from their location in the advancing fire phase.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Just finished SK3 scenario S21 Clash at Borisovka with my 17 yr old son.
Finally some tank action!
I won with the Germans with 2 Tigers and 1 Pz IV remaining.
He exited 3 T-34s and killed 3 Pz IVs.
I killed 7 T-34s.
Drove the Tigers up to 9-12 range of the last 2 T-34s and whacked the last one with an intensive fire shot (final Tiger's first shot missed).
It came down to the last few dice rolls on the last turn, which is what I like.
Win or lose, as long as it's close, it's a good game.

Tredegar

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished playing S2 War of the Rats with a friend after a couple week break. His Russians just could not stand up to my firepower, and by the end of turn 5 it was all over. Great game and he really enjoys it. We jumped right into the scenario S4 Welcome Back. He is taking the Germans and I am defending as the Americans. In one turn he learned the hard way that you should not cross open ground against a leader led squad with an MMG that gets rate a few times. We plan on playing a couple more SK1 scenarios and move on to SK2. The amount of rules added by SK2 is not really significant so it should not be a difficult step up.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Robin and I finished S-035 "The Volga Is Reached!" last week. In this scenario, the German has to capture (and hold) all the building hexes on the eastern side of the map (all those numbered 8+). To help them ,they get good leaders and SWs, and even Stuka attacks (c/- SSR). The Russians get NKVD troops (a mixture of 628 and 426 Squads, led by Commissars), a dug-in T34, a HIP 76* Inf gun, and Snipers. It's pretty much a Starter Kit version of Valor of the Guards , and one of the more chrome-heavy Starter Kit scenarios out there.

I think that the VCs are quite tough on the Germans, given the number of Russians and their urban environment. But my Stuka attacks were devastating (4 bomb hits out of 6. It's 36+0 each time !!!), and his Sniper attacks a lot less so, and by turn 7, I still had a considerable force holding the VC buildings, and Robin understandably decided to call it quits.S-035-Ger-07-DFPh-jpeg.png

Not a lot went Robin's way in this scenario, the one highlight being a 228 crew eliminating a StuGIIIG in CC. One lesson I know he'll take out of this is not to stack (as there is no provision for stacking in ASLSK, and if you have 3 squads stacked in a hex, it becomes a barrier that you can't move/rout through - which creates all sorts of problems).

John.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I took a look at some of the defender's options in this scenario in the Texas ASL's fanzine Banzai!! #20.1 If your buddy wants to check it out. It definitely is SK on steroids and a fun scenario!

Robin and I finished S-035 "The Volga Is Reached!" last week. In this scenario, the German has to capture (and hold) all the building hexes on the eastern side of the map (all those numbered 8+). To help them ,they get good leaders and SWs, and even Stuka attacks (c/- SSR). The Russians get NKVD troops (a mixture of 628 and 426 Squads, led by Commissars), a dug-in T34, a HIP 76* Inf gun, and Snipers. It's pretty much a Starter Kit version of Valor of the Guards , and one of the more chrome-heavy Starter Kit scenarios out there.

I think that the VCs are quite tough on the Germans, given the number of Russians and their urban environment. But my Stuka attacks were devastating (4 bomb hits out of 6. It's 36+0 each time !!!), and his Sniper attacks a lot less so, and by turn 7, I still had a considerable force holding the VC buildings, and Robin understandably decided to call it quits.View attachment 1359

Not a lot went Robin's way in this scenario, the one highlight being a 228 crew eliminating a StuGIIIG in CC. One lesson I know he'll take out of this is not to stack (as there is no provision for stacking in ASLSK, and if you have 3 squads stacked in a hex, it becomes a barrier that you can't move/rout through - which creates all sorts of problems).

John.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
This past afternoon I met up with Kang Yu Wang (Ken) in the Neihu District of Taipei.

There is a local wargame club that meets there every month; I saw a couple of other guys playing an MMP OCS game set in Sicily, both of whom said they were keen to try and learn (full) ASL in the future - I'll be happy to extend them a helping hand in regards to that !! But for today, Kang Yu was keen to learn about AFVs in ASLSK. I felt that an infantry support role would be most suited for exploring armored warfare ASLSK-style, and the scenarios I chose for us were S-033 "Few And Far Between" and S-038 "Raiders Along The Wall".

S-033 "Few And Far Between".

In this scenario, I played the defending Dutch, whilst Kang Yu played the attacking Germans, with German balance in effect (which upgrades the PzIIA to a PzIIF, a significant upgrade of the front AF). The Germans need to control the (5) buildings within 2 hexes of yFF5 to win, but have a modest 4.5 turns to do the job with no real superiority in numbers. The PzII has to be the difference maker for the Germans with it's sD7 and ability to cross open ground and engage strongpoints with Bounding Fire (8 FP) attacks. I set up the Dutch to try and interdict the early German entry of the map, later planning to fall back.

(I took photos, but the light was bad and the photographer's skill even worse. The VASL maps are a lot friendlier on the eyes...)

S-033-ALM-setup-jpeg.jpg
Kang Yu moved aggressively, and although I was able to break a few units, I wasn't able to effect the rampaging PzII, which broke a LMG squad and got behind me on turn 1. So I immediately lost a squad in the first RtPh, but was mostly able to withdraw and recover in my turn 1. But now the open ground was hardly covered and quickly crossed by the Germans,. In spite of never getting any smoke from the sD7, Kang Yu did enjoy a stream of good IFT DRs from the PzII's turret armament, and this largely handed back the initiative to the Germans. My reinforcements arrived in my turn 3 as things were starting to get a bit desperate for the Dutch defenders. The Germans continued to get the better of the firefight, and with both LMGs out of action, the PzII was irrepressible in the role of 'the poison pill'.

By the end of German turn 4, I had no Good Order MMCs, and all VC buildings were in German control. I was able to rally a lone 237 in my last Rally Phase, but it's desperate dash was soon extinguished, and a German victory was assured. It was nice for Kang Yu that his lone Panzer was able to have a heroic day and demonstrate how devastating AFVs can be when supporting infantry on the attack.

S-038 "Raiders Along The Wall".

This is my second playing of this scenario, once again as the Germans. I explained the VCs (Germans win at game end by controlling I7 and O8) to Kang Yu, and we discussed defender options for a while. Kang Yu then took the American pieces and set up the Americans in what I estimated to be about 40 seconds !! Pretty impressive for a guy who's probably played around 10-12 ASLSK scenarios and is using AFVs for the 3rd time....

The map shows the (extremely prompt) American setup . 2 536 squads, a 7-0 leader, and an M4A1 will arrive as reinforcements during American turn 3.

S-038-Ami-setup-jpeg.jpg

I had 4 squads, 1 leader, MMG, and LMG push responsibly along the top flank, whilst the remaining 8 went along the bottom flank. In the first turn, a few Germans squads broke, but with enough fire being drawn, I was able to establish several squads atop the E9 hill. A lucky shot in my APFh, broke the American squad in E6, and this seemed to give my Germans the tonic of initiative that they needed. By the end of turn 2, I was able to break a couple more American squads, and suddenly they were reeling. By the end of German turn 3, a melee had broken out in I7, and the Germans were swarming towards O8 from the south (top of map). With the arrival of the turn 3 American reinforcements, the Americans again recovered, and perhaps more importantly still held the 2 VC buildings.

But my 16FP stack (9-1, MMG/467, LMG/467) continued to roll low, knocking down the would-be American defenders (Kang Yu referred to the stack as a 'death-star', and was quite bemused to learn that it is known by exactly that name in ASL circles - this guy is obviously a natural !!). With a dearth of supporting infantry, the M4A1 was forced to make a desperate dash, and eventually got wrecked by a crisp PF TH DR. O8 was quickly overrun, but the Melee continued on in I7. In German turn 5, I heavily reinforce I7 and tie up the last GO American squad in Melee. I7 eventually falls to the Germans in the American turn 5 CCPh, and with the last American squad held in Melee, the only remaining possibility for an American counterattack has been squashed, giving victory to my Germans.

The dice were much more generous to the attacker in both of our games, and the defender spent most of both scenarios very much on the back foot. But nonetheless Kang Yu had a blast using the AFVs, and no doubt learnt some valuable lessons and tactics. A good round of ASLSK AFV training !!!

John.

Last edited:

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Robin and I recently finished DaE-002 "The Bend In The Road". Robin played the attacking British, whilst I played the defending Germans. We had British balance in effect, which slightly decreased the VC requirements.

This scenario is essentially an interdiction mission for the British. To win, they need 16FP (14FP in our case, as we were playing with British balance in effect) of Infantry and their manned SW within normal range of and within LOS of Q15. The stipulation of normal range would come to be quite important.....

Robin attacked in a rather skirmish fashion, and used the Polders to good effect, but by leaving the Sherman Firefly in motion, this allowed the PzVG to stalk and knock it out, which left the remaining 3 Sherman Vs vulnerable to the near-invincible Panther. Ultimately all 3 were hunted down and wrecked. But Robin did at least manage to kill off 2 of my 658 squads with them before they departed.

This (along with me malfunctioning and X-ing out the HMG) really gave his surviving infantry a real chance of overwhelming my infantry, although the Panther remained a BIG thorn in the British side. Nonetheless, I thought Robin did quite an admirable job of assembling enough infantry firepower to be within contention of the Victory conditions.

DaE-002-Ger-06-PFPh-jpeg.jpg

But in the final APh, Robin mis-calculates and advances a 457 in L11 to M11. It really needed to go to M12, as that is 5 hexes (normal range) from Q15, whilst M11 isn't. I'm guessing that Robin was preoccupied with thinking safety vs my squad and leader in M15 and overlooked the aspect of range to the VC hex. In spite of this, I made a hypothetical IFT DR vs m12, and found the squad breaking on a 1MC, so the Germans would have emerged the winner either way.

But the 2 lessons to take out of this playing were the importance of the Sherman VC's (Firefly) survival; once his 76LL tube is lost from the battlefield, the remaining Sherman Vs are easy pickings for the PzVG. And always be mindful of the VCs, even at the cost of a little safety. A slim chance is better than no chance at all.......

John.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Yesterday I met up in Taipei with Kang Yu (Ken) for some more ASLSK AFV training. To better facilitate Kang Yu's ability to choose an ideal scenario, I listed all the ASLSK scenarios involving AFVs under the following categories:

Tank Battle: 21.

Infiltrate: 23, 30, 34, 36, 37, 40, 56.

Infantry Support: 22, 27, 32, 38, 39, 44, 48.

Combined Arms: 24, 25, 26, 28, 35, 49, 50.

The first scenario Kang Yu chose was S-021 "Clash At Borisovka". Kang Yu played the Russians, whilst I took the Germans. I gave Kang Yu the balance, which means that the Russians get full movement on turn 1. This really changes the whole game and sets up a real possibility of the 'bullrush' strategy, which I've previously discussed here: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/playing-chicken-with-the-panzerwaffe-clash-at-borisovka-tko-in-2.121814/ . I basically defended board T with 2 PzIVF2s, and board V with the remaining AFVs. One of the PzVIEs took a (small) stun (needed to CE to facilitate getting to hill - thought the 9 ml should help, but...) as I entered the map, but otherwise all other AFVs of both sides are in working order.

In Russian turn 2, the first T-34 tries to exit board T, my first PzIVF2 malfunctions its MA, but the second one gets a hit and kill, before it in turn is wrecked by a subsequent T-34. On the east side (German right), it's pretty much an action replay, making the score 2-2. But in the middle, the PzVIEs can do no wrong (the stunned PzVIE rolls a CH on its first shot), and 3 T-34s are quickly dispatched. The remaining T-34s are able to avoid any more trouble, but Game turn 2 ends with a favorable 5-2 German score. 5 T-34s remain against 2 PzIVF2s (one with a malf MA) and 2 PZVIEs. During turn 3, the remaining Russian tanks scramble for the board edge, but my PzVIEs wreck 2 more, whilst 1 manages to exit (score 7-3 Russian), which now forces the Russian to have to destroy at least 2 German AFVs. My tanks now avoid the Russians, and I also repair my malfunctioned gun. With the writing on the wall, Kang Yu opts to exit the 2 surviving T-34s to keep a respectable score (7-5 German).

More importantly, I can tell that Kang Yu had a lot of fun playing this scenario. The pace and fluidity of the fast-paced tank battle did not overwhelm him at all........on the contrary, he liked it !!! My 5th playing of this scenario, and its not getting old for me, either....

The second scenario Kang Yu chose was one that he had previously played with Robin, S-023 "Monty's Gamble". I had the defending British, whilst Kang Yu took the Germans plus balance (an extra 7-0 leader; scout material to be sure !!). I defended deep, and extracted a heavy toll on the scouting German infantry, whilst the 3 assault guns (wisely) stayed out of the way. In my turn 4, I reveal the first gun, firing at a stationary StuGIIIG from 6 hexes away. The first shot bounces off the StuG, and when I intensive fire on the second shot, the gun malfunctions.... uh-ohhh !!!

I fail to repair the gun for the final turn, but one gun still remains HIP, and I can put a healthy amount of IFT fire on the south flank (the remaining HIP ATG covers the north flank), which is significant, since it looks unlikely 3 VPs of infantry can make it off the map, necessitating all 3 AFVs to exit (at least 1 of which will have to be CE). Unfortunately, my IFT fire is rather benign, and all 3 assault guns cruise off (via the south flank, leaving my remaining HIP gun redundant) for a German win.

A good afternoon of AFV training; I can see that Kang Yu is enjoying the use of AFVs, too.

John.

Last edited:

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice AAR. I am about to play that with my daughter (12yo, with a few month of ASLSK under her belt).

I would actually think the 7-0 balance leader (mandatory IMHO given the ROAR results on this one) would be better served as a rally point. There are too many squads that WILL get broken for just 2 leaders, and you sure as heck can't afford to just leave them behind. Just a thought.

Anyway, as for choosing a good scenario to play I think the attached spreadsheet will be REALLY helpful for that. It includes things like OB (squads and vehicles if any), a listing of special weapons if any, ROAR wins/losses with win percentages, etc. And for much more than just the SK scenarios. I included everything I could find for the Starter Kits.

Attachments

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Nice AAR. I am about to play that with my daughter (12yo, with a few month of ASLSK under her belt).

I would actually think the 7-0 balance leader (mandatory IMHO given the ROAR results on this one) would be better served as a rally point. There are too many squads that WILL get broken for just 2 leaders, and you sure as heck can't afford to just leave them behind. Just a thought.

Anyway, as for choosing a good scenario to play I think the attached spreadsheet will be REALLY helpful for that. It includes things like OB (squads and vehicles if any), a listing of special weapons if any, ROAR wins/losses with win percentages, etc. And for much more than just the SK scenarios. I included everything I could find for the Starter Kits.
It's a useful list.....but you left out DaE - probably should add that one in at some stage.

John.

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are correct. I had only added ones I had the scenario cards for because I did it just for what I could play with my daughter and others. Even if I can come up with the scenario sheets for Decision at Elst I wouldn't be able to play because of new terrain and possible rules that are only in the purchased pack.

I will try to add them in soon and post back up here.

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finished a solo play through of S45, Contested Settlement, a week or two ago. This is the first or second scenario in the expansion pack. The Poles were doomed early on when the Slovaks, outnumbered 3-1 in melee, got a lucky roll and wiped out a key part of the attacking force on the flank.

This scenarios had no AFVs, and after working my way through SKs 1, 2, and 3, and Decision at Elst, I was able to play it quickly, and I don't think I had to look up any rules.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Got a solo playing in of S2 War of the Rats, great scenario. Play this if you get a chance.

Thanks
Joe