So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
N8 and I just gave up on SF2, Power Struggle on Provisor from the Manila module. Holy %#$^, what a dog. This scenario is one of the poorest designs I have seen in a long time.
Maybe if you cut it from 8.5 turns to 6.5, or 5.5. As written I don't think the Japanese will ever register a win. Hopefully noone will find out as there are so many better options out there. Mark AVOID.
I hope there is more input on this scenario. It seems as if your opinion is backed up by Eagle4ty. Even though difficult for the Japanese was it fun to play or a dog in that respect also?

Some scenarios are really unbalanced but fun to play. Agony of Doom comes to mind. I would take the Soviets any day and even give the Germans the balance. 🥰🙄

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hope there is more input on this scenario. It seems as if your opinion is backed up by Eagle4ty. Even though difficult for the Japanese was it fun to play or a dog in that respect also?

Some scenarios are really unbalanced but fun to play. Agony of Doom comes to mind. I would take the Soviets any day and even give the Germans the balance. 🥰🙄
Curtis & I had fun with the scenario, but it puts the Japanese in a pretty big hole to dig out of if the Americans have average luck with smoke & competent disposition of assets. There's just too little area for the Japanese to slink to avoid getting pasted with abundant U.S. fire power.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Not really. The Japanese have almost no room to maneuver and face OBA, 9-2, .50 cal, 2xDC, FT and typical massive 666 numbers. The Americans need to advance 4-5 hexes on a 5 hex wide front in 9 turns. HiHo.
Thanks! Appears the Japanese have a tough job with this one.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I was able to get some FTF games in while travelling:
PRK 1 - 10 July
PRK 10 - Breakthrough in Komsomolets
PRK 6 - Taking Oktyabrsky
WO 36 - Dompaire Destruction
ASL 19 - Backs to the Sea
CH 132 - Defence of Orphanage Farm
WO 37 - The Vital Hours
Q11 - Demented with Grief
WO 34 - Feast Day
Q9 - Long Day of Confusion
Q23 - Campoleone Salient
AP77 - Texas Flood
ASL 166 - Skiing in Lapland

The first three are from Advancing Fire's Prokhorovka HASL and were definitely enjoyable, so I can recommend it based on playing those. The HASL SSRs take a bit of getting used to, so it's a good idea for both players to read them together so there's an agreement on interpretation. None of the scenarios were of the woofing variety, and in fact CH 132 was probably the closest and most tense of them all. The "Quick Six" scenarios are true to their name and can be played in 2-3 hours.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
At Ottawa ASL's Stalingradfest I played 9 turns on the south end (row 13ish) of RO's Men of Steel, which we were playing in conjuction with RB's Last Bid. 4 players a side. Highly recommend; a lot of fun to get it all set up.

My German's attacks went extremely poorly however haha. I decided to have a masking force basically everwhere but the New Production Shop where my plan was to drive up to and through the Martinovens. Sadly the Russians saw this coming and laid some lovely traps for my forces. With the set up done by the very talented Adrian Earle, they had a group of mortars and 50.cal on the slag heap that just devasted everything I had between rows 1 and 20. Further inside the factories the Russians created some deathstars - 9-1 leader, 3x628s each with LMGs, another with 9-2 2x628s each with HMGs. The only time I managed to try to DC one of these deathstars they rolled snake eyes on the final protected fire and got a hero.

I highly recommend this scenario, both with and without Last Bid. As the Germans I have a couple main lessons. First don't drive up into the Martinovens starting from the far west end. Far too easy for the Russian to trap you with the interior walls and odd LOS of the building. Use your 838s to instead drive down from Hall 2, Rolling Shop, starting column U. Use the debris field around X20 to get into the back of the Martinovens and unlock the Russian defense that way. Also key to this move is to use your OBA to smoke the slag heap.

Second while the Russian has a lot, they don't have enough to make a meaningful counterattack in the first 10 turns before their reinforcements really get into battle without significantly weakening one of their positions so you don't need to invest that much in your masking forces.

Third don't even bother with anything above row 13.

For the Russians, the main lesson is set up your MTRs and kill stacks to cover the obvious German Kill stacks. You want to have fire on those 9-2, 247s with MMG/HMG stacks right away. Second don't invest in the west edge of the Martinovens (columns M to 9). Just a few 527s and some dummies.

Can't recommend this scenario enough. Nothing else like it in ASL.

Blindgänger

Reaction score
First name
Andreas
Country
llGermany
We finished CH165 - Russian Riposte on Friday night, live via VASL.

I played the Russians and split my troops in two groups. My opponent had a strong and a weaker side on the map (squad placement) and I did the same with my squads - my stronger side vs. his. I played a bit risky, not one step backwards and always running forward and in the end it worked out, I just ran. He had his Gun hidden in a spot which I would have probably used too so I guessed that one right and that helped a lot - he had only one shot at one of my tanks and missed that one. One of my FT tanks fired his FT only twice before it ran out of gas but those two shots toasted two important German squads right away.

My opponent made his tanks show up behind mine and gave me a hard time there. He took out two of my tanks in one turn.

It all went down fast in turn 5 where I won as I managed to break his guys in the victory building and made them route away, which gave me control of the building and win.

Good game, lots of back and forth and crazy die rolls. His tanks did a lot of damage on me but once he malfed one of them he wasn't able to get the MA back online and that helped a lot.

This was game 35 for us in 2022 and I've won 17 out of those. Which is amazing. I've been playing for 4.5 years and think I never won more than one out of three games so far.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
At Ottawa ASL's Stalingradfest I played 9 turns on the south end (row 13ish) of RO's Men of Steel, which we were playing in conjuction with RB's Last Bid. 4 players a side. Highly recommend; a lot of fun to get it all set up.

My German's attacks went extremely poorly however haha. I decided to have a masking force basically everwhere but the New Production Shop where my plan was to drive up to and through the Martinovens. Sadly the Russians saw this coming and laid some lovely traps for my forces. With the set up done by the very talented Adrian Earle, they had a group of mortars and 50.cal on the slag heap that just devasted everything I had between rows 1 and 20. Further inside the factories the Russians created some deathstars - 9-1 leader, 3x628s each with LMGs, another with 9-2 2x628s each with HMGs. The only time I managed to try to DC one of these deathstars they rolled snake eyes on the final protected fire and got a hero.

I highly recommend this scenario, both with and without Last Bid. As the Germans I have a couple main lessons. First don't drive up into the Martinovens starting from the far west end. Far too easy for the Russian to trap you with the interior walls and odd LOS of the building. Use your 838s to instead drive down from Hall 2, Rolling Shop, starting column U. Use the debris field around X20 to get into the back of the Martinovens and unlock the Russian defense that way. Also key to this move is to use your OBA to smoke the slag heap.

Second while the Russian has a lot, they don't have enough to make a meaningful counterattack in the first 10 turns before their reinforcements really get into battle without significantly weakening one of their positions so you don't need to invest that much in your masking forces.

Third don't even bother with anything above row 13.

For the Russians, the main lesson is set up your MTRs and kill stacks to cover the obvious German Kill stacks. You want to have fire on those 9-2, 247s with MMG/HMG stacks right away. Second don't invest in the west edge of the Martinovens (columns M to 9). Just a few 527s and some dummies.

Can't recommend this scenario enough. Nothing else like it in ASL.
I was the architect of James' demise in this game. My partner in crime was Rene. What James didn't mention was Rene's unholy ROF streak with a multitude of ROF 3 weapons. One of his 82mmMTRs got of 8 or 9 shots in one phase. By turn 5 there was a broken German 7-0 and a 467 hiding in the cellar of V1. That comprised the entirety of the German forces north of hexrow 13.

We slowly gave ground in the Western side of Hall 4. Its a mistake to fight hard here. This part of the building is not defensible. We deployed a credible force here only to induce the Germans to set up in the ROCKET OBA zone. The rockets blew up a trench containing a German mortar and force the German kill stack in O18 to hide. We would get into CC in Hall 4. A couple of times a melee developed that blocked German movement.

The death star in hall 3 was 9-2 hmg/628 hmg/628 lmg/628 augmented by a hero. The death star in hall 4 was 9-1 hmg/458 lmg/458 to start. It got beefed up as the game went along. Eventually a mmg/458 joined him. We also had a 8-1 with 3 628 and lmgs. We were able to counter attack and re-take Hall2 and fortify it with the engineer reinforcement group. Our OBA did stellar work with 4 fire mission over 10 turns and another on the way. We were using the Pleva rule and our remaining draw pile was 1 black and 8 reds.

We were expecting an assault like James described coming out of Hall 2. There were mines in U19/V19. I think it would have gone poorly as we could drop OBA into the assault path and easily reposition the death stars. Plus any Germans in rows W,X or Y will have routing problems from Russians in BB11 level 1 or 2.

The German side was disrupted because 1 of the 4 players couldn't make it due to a snow storm. That meant a re-alignment and reduction in focus. It was fun. Next time I play the Germans.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played FT317 Bridge to Oblivion against Rich Domovic; me as the attacking Axis (German/Finn) versus his defending Russians. A super-interesting looking scenario that sports French tanks in German service with some nice VCs: one immediate by Axis controlling three hexes OR game end controlling the bridge hexes and each hex either side of it at game end.

The first four turns I made good progress. I felt I needed to hussle, but the fact there were two 37Ls out there made be be somewhat cautious with my armor. So, I tried to keep them from being bunched up. Rich nicked a couple squads early, but overall felt good. The Russian reinforcements entered on turn 2: 12 squads + 9 tanks and quickly got into position. Unfortunately, there was no opportunity to interdict these reinforcements as I was still making my way toward the VC areas. No chance of interdiction from the sky, my Stuka crew’s alarm clock malfed and they overslept the first five turns of the battle. As I advanced, we traded shots – unfortunately I lost both S-35s – my best anti-tank assets – one after 6-ing my MA repair roll. I did flame one T26 with my FT.

Approach to the VC areas (End of turn 4)

I was feeling really positive at the start of Axis turn 5, thinking victory fully achievable. I successfully approached all three instant win VC hexes. However, it ended up being a horrible turn for the Axis. What really devastated the Axis, some key moves of two German platoons on the northern flank invited Russian fire. When the dust cleared after DFF all of them broke – 5x658 squads and a leader. I simply couldn’t pass a MC. The resulting routs (see yellow arrows) and following unsuccessful rallies meant they could likely be eliminated for FTR. Rich had the vehicles to DM and surround them, albeit it at some risk, but the payoff would mean game over. It was clear to me that probably losing 5x658s and a leader meant the situation was unrecoverable.

Game end (Bottom of turn 5)

Both Rich and I really liked this scenario. We felt it was challenging and winnable for both sides. Fairly crappy AFV for both. Strong Axis troops against very average ELR-2 Russians. However, a huge factor for the Russians is the use of Commissars. I broke Russians, but the commissars recycled them back fairly quickly. Rich lost only a conscript HS when they said, “Nyet!”

A fun scenario and absolutely recommended. Thanks to Rich for another well-played game.

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice write up, in my original version, the scenario was 9 turns with the option for the Axis to get a -1 to their stuka arrival roll but that would have shortened the scenario to 8 turns. It was I thought a nice option as well as a chancy gamble for the Axis to access their Air Support earlier.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
What are the French tanks? Renaults and Hotchkisses?

Nice write up, in my original version, the scenario was 9 turns with the option for the Axis to get a -1 to their stuka arrival roll but that would have shortened the scenario to 8 turns. It was I thought a nice option as well as a chancy gamble for the Axis to access their Air Support earlier.
Yeah, I like options like that. Why did you end up removing it, just out of curiosity? Or did it get removed for you.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
S-35 (47 MA) and a few French Tin cans. I did not remove that option, that was LFT.
What are the French tanks? Renaults and Hotchkisses?

Yeah, I like options like that. Why did you end up removing it, just out of curiosity? Or did it get removed for you.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I just finished SG CG1: A Pleasant Diversion against Eric Shipley, who earned a well-deserved American win. If you are looking for a terrific combined arms CG, in a very manageable size, look no further! This should be on everyone's must-play list. This CG has a little of everything: OBA, lots of leadership, conscripts and PFs, smoke, armor, maneuver, and close-in mayhem. The momentum in our playing swung back-and-forth. At times, it seemed there were maybe 2-3 squad equivalents left on each side, but the refit phase pumps a few more teaser units into the fray. Massive casualties (Germans 107 CVP, US 83 CVP). Halfsquads and surviving vehicle crews can make a measurable difference in this game. A lot can swing on successful OBA (of lack thereof). Strong AFV play helps. You can easily get through the entire CG in about 3 sittings. Don't be put off by the somewhat unsaturated colored map - it fits the setting and the time of year. Just play it! This is the state of affairs at German concession on the third (afternoon) date, turn 2.

Edit: the epic "moment not to be forgotten" was when Eric chucked a DC into an adjacent melee and got a 1,1 (4KIA) on my leader and three MMC. He "survived" with merely a break. Ballsy move and it paid off.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished SG CG1: A Pleasant Diversion against Eric Shipley, who earned a well-deserved American win. If you are looking for a terrific combined arms CG, in a very manageable size, look no further! This should be on everyone's must-play list. This CG has a little of everything: OBA, lots of leadership, conscripts and PFs, smoke, armor, maneuver, and close-in mayhem. The momentum in our playing swung back-and-forth. At times, it seemed there were maybe 2-3 squad equivalents left on each side, but the refit phase pumps a few more teaser units into the fray. Massive casualties (Germans 107 CVP, US 83 CVP). Halfsquads and surviving vehicle crews can make a measurable difference in this game. A lot can swing on successful OBA (of lack thereof). Strong AFV play helps. You can easily get through the entire CG in about 3 sittings. Don't be put off by the somewhat unsaturated colored map - it fits the setting and the time of year. Just play it! This is the state of affairs at German concession on the third (afternoon) date, turn 2.

Edit: the epic "moment not to be forgotten" was when Eric chucked a DC into an adjacent melee and got a 1,1 (4KIA) on my leader and three MMC. He "survived" with merely a break. Ballsy move and it paid off.

View attachment 23473
It's a good one. A well-versed American should win, but if you screw up with them, you are in trouble. It's a good-un.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

View attachment 23473
Hubba, Hubba. Whose birthday was it with all those candles?

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

View attachment 23473
I'd like this to be reprinted in a future Journal for those of us who didn't pick up the Special Ops mag.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RB7 The Red House
This was my first night scenario and my opponent graciously showed me the ropes. I would also like to thank JR VanMechelen for his Bring on the Night article which helped immensely.

The Germans have to defend an area with several buildings with 11 squads, reinforced with a reserve platoon, against 15 Russian 628s and 527s. They must capture four buildings or the Commissar's House.

The Russian main attack on the German left was succeeding as he had gained the firepower advantage. On Turn 5 the Germans advanced a concealed 9-2 stack through the rubble next to a big Russian stack and lucked out when a half-squad rolled a "2" on its move to cause the Russian stack to jitter fire, blowing their own concealment. The Germans were able eliminate the opposing stack in CC and retake a key building (BB15). However, by the bottom of the last turn, the Russians had taken five of the four buildings they needed.

The game came down to two CCs. First, the 9-2 stack had eliminated two 527s to retake building #5 in DD17, and a 467 needed a "5" to retake Z17 but rolled an "11".23476

It was closer than I'd thought it'd be at the end. Really tense trying to deal with all those cloaking Russian units and their sewer movement worked pretty well.

Last edited: