So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP171 Possl’s Posse with Paul Shaeffer, a nicely balanced fight for a German-defended level 1 village. A nice mix of troops and AFVs for both sides with the attacking Russians looking to control ≥10 buildings. That amount can be raised if Germans have more mobile, functioning MA than the Russians.

Setup is shown below with the Russians making very good early progress – even infiltrating the German left flank. This meant the Germans had to pull back to avoid getting encircled. German losses mounted over the first three turns due in large part to extremely good Russian success in CC. Mid-game, many of the at-start defenders that weren’t eliminated were broken – just a few squads were GO. However, once the formidable German reinforcements arrived, things got tougher for the attackers. They consisted of 5x548, 2xleaders, hardware and 2xPzIVs.

Setup and Approach

We grappled in the final couple turns and I felt, as the Russian, a couple bad DRs could cause this one to slip away. Fortunately for the Soviets, a German 548 broke in the south end of the village that would allow the attackers to retake a couple buildings they had held and lost earlier. The game ended when a T34/85 IFed, hit and burned a PzIV trying to take on the Russian armor to seal a victory for The Motherland.

Endgame

We debriefed afterwards and both thought highly of the scenario agreeing it was very balanced and could go either way. Currently 23-21 in favor of the Russians. The German reinforcements are very strong and if the at-start village defenders can inflict some early casualties, it could make Russian progress challenging. However, the Russians cracking the German left really made the difference and put the defenders on their heels. A huge thank you to Paul for a fun and challenging game. A few different DRs and it could have been a different result.

P.S. The German 75L AT is located under the remaining PzIV -- a great spot.

Last edited:

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First, thank you so much for the kind words. You post made my day, Fenyan.

P.S. - A (most humbly submitted) suggestion: "Tripwire" (MP10 - from the same Melee Pack) is also a real nail-biter. Playtesters Matt Romey and Robert Feinstein really helped fine-tune that one back in the day. The ROAR has it at 10-11 in the German's favor. So if you liked "Worthy," I think you'll really like "Tripwire," as well! It features the SS vs. some very cold, but very determined Americans during a critical phase of the Battle of the Bulge.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're very welcome, always enjoy a good scenario. Tripwire is on my radar! Here's an AAR from one of the finalists in last year's West Coast Melee tournament: (scroll to bottom of the page to post #20):

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're very welcome, always enjoy a good scenario. Tripwire is on my radar! Here's an AAR from one of the finalists in last year's West Coast Melee tournament: (scroll to bottom of the page to post #20):
I had no idea that Tripwire was chosen for the final round at Albany (anyone know what year?). That is so cool! Thanks again!

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played DB158 A Stalinesque Christmas with Rich Domovic Friday evening.

His view was that the only way for the Germans to win that one was to kill 13CVP of Russians. I have to agree.

The ammo shortage for the Germans is a killer.

Anyone else played it?

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played DB158 A Stalinesque Christmas with Rich Domovic Friday evening.

His view was that the only way for the Germans to win that one was to kill 13CVP of Russians. I have to agree.

The ammo shortage for the Germans is a killer.

Anyone else played it?
Yes, played it on Friday as well. I took the Germans and it went down to last turn and last CC. I was on 12 CVP’s going into last CC. I had a 2-3-6 conscript, 7-0 leader and 8-1 leader against a 4-4-7 Russian. Both failed to get ambush. I went for HtH and rolled a 6 which was enough to take the game.

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played DB172 not diggin potatoes from Dispatches from the Bunker with Ron Duenskie today. It's a tiny 7 vs 7 squad 4.5 turn scenario good for teaching basic infantry tactics (infantry smoke, BAZ, advancing fire/assault fire tricks, foxhole/hedge LOS, hero, etc...). No AFV/Guns/OBA/cliff diving etc... It only took 90 minutes. Of course, a small scenario is inherently dicey. My defenders skulked and put up a good fight, but an advancing fire BAZ shot broke the 2 squad/8-1/MMG stack and the defense crumbled. Still the game came down to a couple paratrooper squads charging a dug-in 247. One squad and leader passed their 1 MC and didn't muff the CC for the win for Ron. A nice tight game. Again, this is a good one for teaching a newbie basic fire and movement infantry tactics. -Paul

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Played DB172 not diggin potatoes from Dispatches from the Bunker with Ron Duenskie today. It's a tiny 7 vs 7 squad 4.5 turn scenario good for teaching basic infantry tactics (infantry smoke, BAZ, advancing fire/assault fire tricks, foxhole/hedge LOS, hero, etc...). No AFV/Guns/OBA/cliff diving etc... It only took 90 minutes. Of course, a small scenario is inherently dicey. My defenders skulked and put up a good fight, but an advancing fire BAZ shot broke the 2 squad/8-1/MMG stack and the defense crumbled. Still the game came down to a couple paratrooper squads charging a dug-in 247. One squad and leader passed their 1 MC and didn't muff the CC for the win for Ron. A nice tight game. Again, this is a good one for teaching a newbie basic fire and movement infantry tactics. -Paul
Very nice Sir and IMO short scenarios are an excellent way to teach and learn the system. If there isn't time for an immediate replay an AAR is almost as good. Good luck to you both and here's hoping your pupil is soon kicking your butt!!

Obviously teaching someone the system is a great way to learn it yourself.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Houlie's post reminded me to try this one: AP171 Possl's Posse, game was interesting at the end because of the VC requirement going up one building to 11 from 10 23163if the Germans have more mobile CT AFV with functioning main armament as you can see in the situation here as we approached the last turn and a half. The Germans pulled out the win.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Houlie's post reminded me to try this one: AP171 Possl's Posse, game was interesting at the end because of the VC requirement going up one building to 11 from 10 View attachment 23163if the Germans have more mobile CT AFV with functioning main armament as you can see in the situation here as we approached the last turn and a half. The Germans pulled out the win.
11 from 10. The old Spinal Tap VC

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished FT247 Roter Mann as the defending Allies (Italian + partisans) against Rich Domovic’s Axis (German + partisans). An interesting scenario that requires the Axis to control ≥5 multi-hex buildings AND have more CVP than the Allies. Allies can get a small handful of CVP by exiting some partisans off the map. However, this is only a viable option if the CVP gap is small.

Setup and Approach

The Axis partisans enter on turn 1 as reinforcements on either the north or south – they chose north. I set a few squads up on the northern side of the board to slow both them and some advancing Germans down with some -2 shots. Unfortunately, the Allies left their bullets back at camp. They were mostly eliminated. So, I got behind on CVP early.

I had a decent village defense, but in the mid-game when the Axis really started to push, they shrugged off everything I could throw at them. I recall they averaged 5.71 on 37 MCs in our last VASL session (roughly 2.5 turns); with four German heroes generated. One on a 75ART CH into a melee that could have helped swing the CVP tally. In the center portion of the village, things fell apart there, too. I felt worn out and sensed it would take a miracle to fend off an attack on the fifth VC building. Overall, there wasn’t much that worked for me and I conceded in turn 5. My only real highlight was getting a CH that wounded the radio man in turn 1. He bandaged himself up in turn 5, but by that time it wasn’t needed. I could only imagine if he was able to call in that 70mm OBA.

Final position at Concession

Our playing was a tough one for the Allies. We both agreed it certainly has potential to be a good scenario However, if the Allies get behind on CVP early, it could be a tough go. If meaningfully behind on CVP, ceding the multi-hex building VC requirement means withdrawing into the village proper is not an option. The German goes on the defensive and sits in the VC buildings and the Allies must go on the attack. An unfruitful proposition with no smoke or AFV.

I felt there is a lot for the Allies to defend and unit firepower is generally underwhelming. Further, even when I broke some Axis, there was no ability to pursue in any way to eliminate/capture them for CVP. That said, I do feel it is doable for the Allies. However, I made some mistakes in my setup trying to slow down the attackers with some up-front units and lost a few squads and the 20mm AA foolishly. I think I’d do better in another playing, but it’s rare I play a scenario twice. The OBs, board configuration and VCs are interesting, but it just wasn’t my day. Definitely worth playing. Another big thank you to Rich for a well-played game

Last edited:

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agree with your analysis. We both would have done things differently with the hindsight of having played it.

I enjoyed the mix of partisans on both sides, mixed Italian and German Axis AFVs, German OBA and Allied guns.

The Axis necessity to be ahead on CVP, coupled with VC building requirements and variable Axis partisan entry side should fuel replayability.

Apart from the breaking and cowardice of my radio guy, I though many of the key rolls went my way. There were several ATR/MG shots that bounced off my Italian 1 armor purple heart boxes.

My only dislike is the CVP requirement that includes 5 points per thin, skinned Itie AFV. I was lucky his shots all bounced. Played again, I would keep those AFVs out of harms way, which is a design flaw.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
N8 and I just gave up on SF2, Power Struggle on Provisor from the Manila module. Holy %#$^, what a dog. This scenario is one of the poorest designs I have seen in a long time.
Maybe if you cut it from 8.5 turns to 6.5, or 5.5. As written I don't think the Japanese will ever register a win. Hopefully noone will find out as there are so many better options out there. Mark AVOID.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
N8 and I just gave up on SF2, Power Struggle on Provisor from the Manila module. Holy %#$^, what a dog. This scenario is one of the poorest designs I have seen in a long time.
Maybe if you cut it from 8.5 turns to 6.5, or 5.5. As written I don't think the Japanese will ever register a win. Hopefully noone will find out as there are so many better options out there. Mark AVOID.
It was pretty tough on the Japanese, especially with the 9-2 staying home and plastering the sons of Nippon from the far bank. With U.S. Smoke it's an almost foregone conclusion.

Blindgänger

Reaction score
First name
Andreas
Country
llGermany
We finished SP23 Assault on the Hotel Continental per PBEM. I played as the British and won.

I had a plan and divided my troops in two - one part on the eastern part of the map, the other on the western part, tanks coming in on the middle and see where they are used best. I lost a HS in turn 1 and one of my leaders (my 9-1) got wounded. One of my tanks moved adjacent to his HIP guys in turn two and was gone. It was a good spot indeed but I never expected him to place his HIP squad so far away from the victory building. Lesson learned.

In turn 4 it already looked good for me and that's when I do the stupid things. I did three stupid things in a row and that's when my opponent asked if I want to make him feel good. Back to my plan and it worked. I had the building in turn 5 and almost all my squads in or around it.