Hollow Legions reprint, Will you play the desert?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably a lot of real estate is somewhat inherent to DTO because the lack of LOS-Blocking terrain requires some space to make up for it with room for maneuver or to bring the range-aspect of weaponry in it.

That said, as the MF of Infantry remain unchanged, more time is necessary to cover ground.

And there you go - larger scenarios...

von Marwitz
Valid points, but it is possible to make a good, small DTO scenario.
High Danger by VFTT for example.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Unfortunately, while there are a number of actions that would fit the desert these would, by their nature, be a bit complex whether large or small. Smaller scenarios might be tricky because of hot or cold dice issues so,...

Tank actions are fairly basic but infantry in the desert usually fought either at night or, if in daytime, behind large artillery barrages (usually creeping HE and Smoke barrages), with defender well dug in behind mines, wire and trenches/foxholes. In more mobile actions the infantry needed their guns or friendly tanks to be nearby or they were in for trouble (as we see in the early Italian battles).

There is plenty of grist for the mill in the desert.

Last edited:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
will you play the Italians and the desert?
I pick my scenarios randomly. Desert scenarios don't come up super frequently (because compared to ETO and PTO, they're relatively few in number) but when they do, I play them. Ditto with scenarios featuring Italians. The new HL won't mean that I play desert/Italians more, but I certainly won't be playing them less.

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
will you play the Italians and the desert?
I have played very few DTO scenarios, but would like to play more. Played these:
Blazing Chariots, (several times)
Sunday of the Dead, G9
The Taking of Takrouna, ASL 51

I know it's probably difficult to find desert actions that have interesting terrain features. Some smaller size scenarios to get your toes into the sand would be good. Love your magazines (Schwerpunkt and Rally Point). Tell Brian Williams that Walt from New Jersey says hello.

buser333

Reaction score
I pick my scenarios randomly. Desert scenarios don't come up super frequently (because compared to ETO and PTO, they're relatively few in number) but when they do, I play them. Ditto with scenarios featuring Italians. The new HL won't mean that I play desert/Italians more, but I certainly won't be playing them less.
My one opponent and I have started picking our scenarios randomly as well. It does lead itself to a wide variety of situations. Unbalanced dog...we play it. Flip-a-coin tiny tourney game...we play it. Boring static defense...we play it. Sadly, I oftentimes am more excited to see which one is next than to actually play the game. But every now and then we will stumble upon a gem that neither of us would've thought of playing. We recently nixed a DTO scenario that came up because we had just come off learning a bunch of rules for a Communist Chinese KWASL night scenario. Had that situation been reversed we would've played the DTO scenario. I wish it had.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The most use I have got out of the chpt. F rules is when they are adapted to PTO scenarios...like for Iwo Jima or Peleliu. It usually involves caves in sandy and rocky terrain. Another favourite adaptation is steppe terrain for Eastern Front scenarios. Hardly played any other DTO scenarios at all.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
My one opponent and I have started picking our scenarios randomly as well. It does lead itself to a wide variety of situations. Unbalanced dog...we play it. Flip-a-coin tiny tourney game...we play it. Boring static defense...we play it. Sadly, I oftentimes am more excited to see which one is next than to actually play the game. But every now and then we will stumble upon a gem that neither of us would've thought of playing. We recently nixed a DTO scenario that came up because we had just come off learning a bunch of rules for a Communist Chinese KWASL night scenario. Had that situation been reversed we would've played the DTO scenario. I wish it had.
However you choose what to play the important point is that you are playing. That being said I'll offer some thoughts.

Randomly selecting scenarios is fine if your objective is just to have fun, and that is an excellent objective.

If your objective is to learn something specific, such as Night, Caves, DTO or whatever, repeated playings of that genre is the way to go. IMO there is no problem learning by repetition.

If you want to do a Series Replay or AAR play the scenario several times in a row before sitting down to do the version that will be presented to the public. Your final product should be better than if you just winged it. We played Guryev's Headquarters at least seven times before doing the Replay.

Playtesting. Depends what the designer wants. Are there many scenarios he wants played and what is the time frame for completing the project? Important work though.

Enough thoughts for now. Enjoy whatever you choose to play. 🤗

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In addition to Desert scenarios I enjoy those rare scenarios that feature Broken terrain and use the desert maps. Similar work is on the horizon--particularly from LFT of which I am taking part in scenario design. There is a lot to offer with this often overlooked theater in ASL. Heat Haze, heavy dust and sun blindness may be at times tedious with ASL calculations but the benefits outweigh these inconveniences. If you haven't purchased the "Dust Devil dice" from Battle School consider buying these and they truly remove a lot of math during scenarios!

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I will play anything
I will play any theater for sure but the PTO is a much more fun environment to play in than the desert for me,
many scenarios in the DTO are in an empty wasteland with no place to rout, no real TEM and if you don't get
Smoke your attack is in severe trouble in so much open ground. Armored assault (or dust) can certainly help
but so much more subtle stuff going on in the PTO. On defense Sangers can help but you will kill for the few
buildings you may find. A decent Trench network is worth its weight in gold.

But I love playing Afrika Korps vs Brits from time to time, it can be a rewarding challenge to win as either side
in such a place.

Different strokes for different folks, I'll play any ASL but find myself often in the PTO or on the Eastern Front,
and from a publishing perspective, always a hard sell for me to get people to playtest DTO, Vic.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
How do you choose them? From a list of all published scenarios or ones you want to play?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Valid points, but it is possible to make a good, small DTO scenario.
High Danger by VFTT for example.
You may be right.

Incidentally, for some reason I remember that scenario title despite having played hardly any desert scenarios at all. Maybe I should keep it in mind to give it a try.

von Marwitz

buser333

Reaction score
However you choose what to play the important point is that you are playing. That being said I'll offer some thoughts.

Randomly selecting scenarios is fine if your objective is just to have fun, and that is an excellent objective.

If your objective is to learn something specific, such as Night, Caves, DTO or whatever, repeated playings of that genre is the way to go. IMO there is no problem learning by repetition.

If you want to do a Series Replay or AAR play the scenario several times in a row before sitting down to do the version that will be presented to the public. Your final product should be better than if you just winged it. We played Guryev's Headquarters at least seven times before doing the Replay.

Playtesting. Depends what the designer wants. Are there many scenarios he wants played and what is the time frame for completing the project? Important work though.

Enough thoughts for now. Enjoy whatever you choose to play. 🤗
And that is exactly it. We play to have fun. Both of us have worked our way together (with the repeated play approach you suggest) through Night, DTO, Caves, Beach Landings, and possibly some other more obscure rules sections which slip my mind at the moment. Ultimately it's about the fun, and ASL is as great of a hobby as you can get.

buser333

Reaction score
How do you choose them? From a list of all published scenarios or ones you want to play?
We have Scenario Archive randomly select from all the material we both own (and that neither of us has played). I am thinking of suggesting a draw pile of all the scenarios I own (which would increase the pool by probably a factor of 7 as I own just about everything there is to own), as I would love to play some really obscure stuff.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I will play any theater for sure but the PTO is a much more fun environment to play in than the desert for me,
many scenarios in the DTO are in an empty wasteland with no place to rout, no real TEM and if you don't get
Smoke your attack is in severe trouble in so much open ground. Armored assault (or dust) can certainly help
but so much more subtle stuff going on in the PTO. On defense Sangers can help but you will kill for the few
buildings you may find. A decent Trench network is worth its weight in gold.

But I love playing Afrika Korps vs Brits from time to time, it can be a rewarding challenge to win as either side
in such a place.

Different strokes for different folks, I'll play any ASL but find myself often in the PTO or on the Eastern Front,
and from a publishing perspective, always a hard sell for me to get people to playtest DTO, Vic.
DTO not an easy theater or with a lot of fun chrome. Someone recently described it as resembling the shootout at the OK Corral which I thought was pretty on point.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
We have Scenario Archive randomly select from all the material we both own (and that neither of us has played). I am thinking of suggesting a draw pile of all the scenarios I own (which would increase the pool by probably a factor of 7 as I own just about everything there is to own), as I would love to play some really obscure stuff.
Thanks! You might try the recent Hidden Gems thread also. Made a few suggestions there. Good gunnin' to you guys. 🤗

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Absolutely.

I wetted my teeth back in my early days on AH's Tobruk.

Great tank battles, really crappy infantry.

Loved every moment.

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DTO not an easy theater or with a lot of fun chrome. Someone recently described it as resembling the shootout at the OK Corral which I thought was pretty on point.
Understandable.

But I bet if people looked closely they would find quite a few battles where tanks played little to no role, especially assaults on fixed positions. And then there are always oases and small towns. Like you wrote above, hidden gems.

But what do I know.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does the new printing contain High Danger? originally CH 49, also printed in a Journal or annual? Loved this one it has all the bells and whistles. It plays quick and is a load of fun. It hooked me on desert.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Does the new printing contain High Danger? originally CH 49, also printed in a Journal or annual? Loved this one it has all the bells and whistles. It plays quick and is a load of fun. It hooked me on desert.
I do not remember seeing it on the list of scenarios at their web site.