Hollow Legions reprint, Will you play the desert?

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been eagerly awaiting the reprint of Hollow Legions because I like the desert. In fact, I prefer playing desert to PTO scenarios. However, I am not sure that many ASLers enjoy the desert as much as I do. Over the years I have made many desert scenarios, but few of them have been printed due to what I saw as a lack of interest on the part of the players.
So....the question is, after all the yammering about the Italians being out of print and the desert boards and overlays being unavailable, once you have them at the end of 2021, will you play the Italians and the desert?

Last edited:

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evan I would love to see them. Have only played High Danger and have Blazin' Chariots next on my list.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have but for very few occasions ventured into the desert yet.

But this is mostly due to my laziness to learn the rules and not because of a dislike for the theater.
The point is that one needs to play a set of rules regularly in order to really get a hold on them - just playing half a dozen scenarios of desert, night, air support, PTO, beach landings etc. won't do.

Given the number of scenarios played per year in total, this somewhat limits the expansion of one's scope, I feel.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I will gladly dabble again with the DTO: overlays adapted to the new style boards will make the view of the game pleasing.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've fallen out of love with desert.
I'll still play it as a change from other theatres but it's not and never was as good as PTO.

The hammada immobilization rolls just slow things down for very little gaming benefit. If you're the side which has the rubbish tanks then much harder to use skill to turn things round.

There are some great scenarios out there though - Khamsin and High Danger spring to mind.

Jplott94

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Country
llUnited States
Decades ago in my youth, I developed a deep interest in WWII armor reading about the Western Desert campaigns, particularly between the British 8th Army and the DAK. Pre-SL, I sought out desert scenarios for PanzerBlitz/Leader but never found any to my liking. Tried learning Tobruk when it came out, but that is when real life got in the way for a couple of decades (college/Air Force). Now that I have the time, I am really looking forward to seeing the battles come to life on the table!!

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Oh yes...I have been looking forward to HL, not for the Italians (I have great looking BGD and LFT counters already) but for the DTO and hopefully the interest it will spark for both players and scenario designers. I have recently played a number of scenarios with the Italians who seem to break and rout at the first shots fired anywhere in their direction. I would like to see some more good scenarios against the DAK.