Hollow Legions reprint, Will you play the desert?

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking of the time when about 10 or 12 desert products by CH came out in short order. The artwork for the maps wasn't crayon. I think it was one 'main thing' and then many scenario packs.

von Marwitz
As I stopped buying CH products twenty years ago I wouldn't know. But as CH tends to repackage its stuff every few years, it may have been RR "reimagined."

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking of the time when about 10 or 12 desert products by CH came out in short order. The artwork for the maps wasn't crayon. I think it was one 'main thing' and then many scenario packs.

von Marwitz
Actually you can probably find this information on Desperation Morale. It includes a fairly comprehensive review of all ASL products by producer.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz
2 "core" items & 10 additional scenario packs. The 1st core pack had a 122" x 34" desert map with 47 overlays. You could use that 1 map and pretty much create any desert situation with the added 47 overlays. The 2nd core pack had 2 identical 22" x 34" maps with 17 additional overlays.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually you can probably find this information on Desperation Morale. It includes a fairly comprehensive review of all ASL products by producer.
It is explained on Mark's site. The original packs have, of course, gone through at least one additional iteration with CH. Ruweisat Ridge has always maintained Ruweisat Ridge in it's name. There are 3 versions of that module.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nope.

I have been eagerly awaiting the reprint of Hollow Legions because I like the desert. In fact, I prefer playing desert to PTO scenarios. However, I am not sure that many ASLers enjoy the desert as much as I do. Over the years I have made many desert scenarios, but few of them have been printed due to what I saw as a lack of interest on the part of the players.
So....the question is, after all the yammering about the Italians being out of print and the desert boards and overlays being unavailable, once you have them at the end of 2021, will you play the Italians and the desert?

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2 "core" items & 10 additional scenario packs. The 1st core pack had a 122" x 34" desert map with 47 overlays. You could use that 1 map and pretty much create any desert situation with the added 47 overlays. The 2nd core pack had 2 identical 22" x 34" maps with 17 additional overlays.
I just visited Desperation Morale.

Apparently the product was the Afrika Korps series, published in 2010. It was reprinted as Uberfox and the Ultimate Desert Fox in 2018.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nothing major that is wrong with DTO, but I would probably not be playing much of it when the PTO/ETO are available options.

DTO seems a bit dicey to me and while the rules are actually well written, I find them harder to read and wrap my head around. The examples are often easier to use than the rules. Trouble is when something comes outside the examples and well, there isn't as 'robust' support for rules questions that you find in other theaters.

I definitely plan on getting this and hope it generates more DTO interest, but I am in for the counters, updated rules, scenarios and maps.

YMMV of course.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Nothing major that is wrong with DTO, but I would probably not be playing much of it when the PTO/ETO are available options.

DTO seems a bit dicey to me and while the rules are actually well written, I find them harder to read and wrap my head around. The examples are often easier to use than the rules. Trouble is when something comes outside the examples and well, there isn't as 'robust' support for rules questions that you find in other theaters.

I definitely plan on getting this and hope it generates more DTO interest, but I am in for the counters, updated rules, scenarios and maps.

YMMV of course.
I wonder if players find it harder to visualize the DTO? That could be a factor in it's lack of popularity.

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I enjoy the occasional DTO scenario. Just as one adjusts his play to PTO, one must also adjust to the DTO. Proper use of Dust, sD/sP and VSG is important to playing DTO.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
I've returned from Błędowska desert, the largest desert in Europe. It was a training polygon for DAK prior to troops being transported to North Africa. Here, I've took a photo for you, guys.

If you'll look closely you'll see the Afrika Korps soldiers passing by and tracks left by SdKfz 222.

To answer the original question - yes, I will play DTO gladly, one of my favorite ones.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I've returned from Błędowska desert, the largest desert in Europe. It was a training polygon for DAK prior to being transported to North Africa. Here, I've took a photo for you, guys.

If you'll look closely you'll see the Afrika Korps soldiers passing by and tracks left by SdKfz 222.

View attachment 18010

To answer the original question - yes, I will play DTO gladly, one of my favorite ones.
Plenty of Concealment and Cover!🙄

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I've returned from Błędowska desert, the largest desert in Europe.
Looking at the accents and knowing you're from Poland I reckon that's where this desert is?
Interesting - I was never aware of this. (I have always thought that the largest desert in Europe would be the place where Olli elected to lay out his full cache of DTO boards...)

von Marwitz

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Looking at the accents and knowing you're from Poland I reckon that's where this desert is?
Interesting - I was never aware of this.
Yup, it's here alright: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Błędów_Desert

(I have always thought that the largest desert in Europe would be the place where Olli elected to lay out his full cache of DTO boards...)
Haha, Olli's responsible for 90% of the pre-orders of HL 3.0, it seems. Is he at the forum these days? Didn't see him lately...