First Impressions of J12

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The antifreeze article is really good. It should be considered essential reading for every ASL player. Great job, Peter Struijf!

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Good spot. That is a good question.

"D2.4 MOTION STATUS: ... A vehicle may end its MPh in Motion without expending all of its MP only if it has insufficient MP remaining to enter the next hex it wishes to enter. ..."

As the rule is written, it talks about entering the next hex. If using VBM, you are within a specific hex, and it usually costs only 2MP you bypass in an OG-portion of a Woods/Building hex (and the 1MP necessary to turn on the CAFP is spent in the current hex and not the one about to be entered as I understand it).

So upon closer examination it appears, that this would limit the trick significantly (i.e. in case of OG in an ADJACENT hex usable for VBM to 2 'excess' MP's to burn: In our previous example, our tank has spent 11MP to get into VBM, but would need 3MP more to get into VBM of an ADJACENT hex - 1 to turn the CAFP, 2MP to enter into VBM for 14MP which would be 1MP in excess of its 13MP available. If the tank had spent only 10MP to get into the first VBM, then it could possibly try its luck to burn another 1MP by successfully using a sD/sP/sM before.

Still, suitable terrain provided, it would allow you to plan ahead avoiding to be obliged having to stop on your 13th MP if you unsuccessfully tried a sD/sP/sM in the hex you want to end your MPh in Motion.

Edit - Afterthoughts:
  • What would happen if I claimed wanting to enter the hex behind me via Reverse Movement?
  • Could I theoretically switch back and forth my CAFP in analogy to switching back my VCA when wanting to burn MP's in a given hex without stopping?
von Marwitz
Your 3rd paragraph is missing a right ")" .

The D2.4 MOTION STATUS rule requires the player to DETERMINE and declare the next hex he wishes to enter. Therefore, the next time he moves to another hex, he MUST perform that move. There is no rule allowing him to change his mind - COWTRA, people. He's either stuck forever, or moves as he declared.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your 3rd paragraph is missing a right ")" .

The D2.4 MOTION STATUS rule requires the player to DETERMINE and declare the next hex he wishes to enter. Therefore, the next time he moves to another hex, he MUST perform that move. There is no rule allowing him to change his mind - COWTRA, people. He's either stuck forever, or moves as he declared.
I think the later sentence in the rule contradicts your position.
"A vehicle (and its PRC) which starts its Player Turn in Motion may not Prep Fire and must expend at least one MP (even if just to stop) during its MPh. "

I think it is clear that the rule allows me to expend a MP in my current hex and end my MPh, without entering a new hex at all, even if I had previously declared a new hex that allowed me to stay in motion the previous MPh.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
I think the later sentence in the rule contradicts your position.
"A vehicle (and its PRC) which starts its Player Turn in Motion may not Prep Fire and must expend at least one MP (even if just to stop) during its MPh. "

I think it is clear that the rule allows me to expend a MP in my current hex and end my MPh, without entering a new hex at all, even if I had previously declared a new hex that allowed me to stay in motion the previous MPh.
To the contrary, BOTH can be implemented. IF you stay in the hex, then your rule. IF you move out of the hex, you must move as you have declared previously.

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

Received both my WO pack and J12 yesterday and I gotta say I am really impressed by the articles in J12. Very well written and very enjoyable to read...Single hex groupology was also a very nice and informative article on when and how to fire those single hex stacks of guys...

Scott
I read that article at lunch today and was amazed at how much thought could be put into such a simple scenario as an MMG, Squad, & Leader stack. A lot of it is simply things "you do" (like breathing), but he laid out the choices so well and explained which options you should always consider. Really well done for such a quick read.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just checked the MMP website for my order and discover that the Journal 12 has been "Dispatched".

I'm sadden to see this. I didn't even get a chance to read it, before MMP "Dispatched" the Journal.... I just wish I had the chance to hold onto the Journal before it was killed.

Oh well, I can now build a Memorial Wall (Virtual World) for my suddenly dispatched Journal....

Hopefully the Winter Offensive 2017 Pack makes it through alright.
Arrival of Journal 12

My Journal finally arrived, but I could not resuscitate this fine specimen of ASL. It was “sealed” in a temporary coffin (plastic shrink wrap) and was truly “flat” (no bumps on the corners, nor bent out of shape by the Postal lackies).

After unsealing this “dispatched” item, I tried to bring “life” back to the pages. I tried to renew the words and pictures of this ASL item, but to no avail. Rigor-mortis had set in and EVERYTHING was flat and life-less.

The words on the pages were no longer “alive” with meanings (even though there is a nifty article in there about the Korean War HASL that will be released in the future). The scenarios were “compressed” into the center of the Journal, thus suffocating any chance of breathing air to reach them. The scenarios only had ONE saving piece of life; the “bright pink” errata sheet for J192. This brought some life back to the scenarios, but not enough to make them “ALIVE”.

I shall now have to wear “ASL Black” in memoriam for this piece of ASL, as well as ONLY play Black ASL counters for a “to-be-determined” memoriam period.

The Journal 12 will always hold a special place in my ASL world, right next to Journal 11 and the AH Annual magazine collection as well.

Please say a prayer for my “Dispatched” ASL Journal 12.

Best Regards,

Kevin

PS. Patriots won in Super Bowl LI and the Revenge Tour II is complete.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awesome. Now I won't have to refer to the sports page of my local newspaper to find out who won the Super Bowl.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am with Franj and Tom on the interpretation that you must use the rest of an AFV's MP if you can.

I believe you cannot discharge those MP by a faux attempt to enter woods or building.

I play similarly to force a human wave unit to use its final MF, even though a two MF option is available.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I am with Franj and Tom on the interpretation that you must use the rest of an AFV's MP if you can.

I believe you cannot discharge those MP by a faux attempt to enter woods or building.

I play similarly to force a human wave unit to use its final MF, even though a two MF option is available.
Human wave is different. Per A25.232 the member of the human wave *must* expend MF to do something (if possible), and can't exclude options. Vehicles can remain in Motion if the hex they *wish* to enter is not feasible. They can exclude some options, i.e. hexes they do not wish to enter. You can argue that these are bad rules, but they are the rules we have now.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It may be the rules we have now, but the interpretation is somewhat loose. Only some believe that the interpretation is one has the option to ignore a bypass attempt in the next hex & others have bought off on it. However, the rules do not emphatically state this is the case, in fact they would normally lead to the opposite conclusion, that continuing on to include an additional bypass is mandatory if at all possible.

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I did not like that articles insinuation which seemed to rely on rules gamesmanship. If I hit that situation simply saying - are you using all your movement so you can stay in bypass in motion? Would cover both situations and avoid the 'hohoo you've miscalculated your movement now you must leave' that is just too rules lawyery really...apart from that it was an excellent article in a good journal

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
...If I hit that situation simply saying - are you using all your movement so you can stay in bypass in motion?...
I usually ask that question as well, as I think that in most cases that is what players usually want to do anyway. Better to ask and avoid any misunderstanding later.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aren't MP expenditures announced as they happen? If somebody is going to roll up and try to freeze me and they announce 2 MP to enter bypass in my hex and still have 8 MP remaining, I don't think I'm going to bother asking if they meant to spend 10 MP instead of 2. My feeling is if you know enough about the rules to VBM freeze me, know enough about the rules to know you have to do something with those remaining MPs and you can't spend them in delay unless you're stopped. Shouldn't part of your intricate plan include not being stuck with excess MPs in my hex?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Aren't MP expenditures announced as they happen? If somebody is going to roll up and try to freeze me and they announce 2 MP to enter bypass in my hex and still have 8 MP remaining, I don't think I'm going to bother asking if they meant to spend 10 MP instead of 2. My feeling is if you know enough about the rules to VBM freeze me, know enough about the rules to know you have to do something with those remaining MPs and you can't spend them in delay unless you're stopped. Shouldn't part of your intricate plan include not being stuck with excess MPs in my hex?
You are basically right.

But for possibly for ease or speed of play (or ignorance), some people just count out the cost that the next hex requires and assume it would be ok to have the rest spent in the last hex they want to remain in Motion in. Of course, this is not by the letter of the rules and consequently you need to do the math in your head beforehand.

I have been called once in the exact situation where a player begrudged VBM and called me for not announcing the amount of MP's upon entry that I should have, afterwards destroying my tank because I had to stop and did not know the trick on how I might have stayed in Montion by 'attempting' to enter the next hex but lacking MP's.

Since then, I do the math before I touch my counter. It does slow down play, but if it is what is required, so be it.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Aren't MP expenditures announced as they happen? If somebody is going to roll up and try to freeze me and they announce 2 MP to enter bypass in my hex and still have 8 MP remaining, I don't think I'm going to bother asking if they meant to spend 10 MP instead of 2.
In this situation I would probably agree with you, I was more thinking of the situation where someone says "enter into bypass and end in Motion" without specifying the exact MP then spent. Then I would ask them something like "so you are expending all the remaining MP to go into bypass then?"

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
There is something that I don't understand after several decades of ASL Annual/Journal (and my little experience in editing "Le Franc-Tireur" magazine). Why articles are still cut in several parts ? Is it so difficult to lay out articles in one block only ? In addition, the end of articles are not indicated by a specific symbol (like a black square) so you don't know if there is something else to read (and find) in the magazine or if you have reached the end. A little bit disturbing.
All my apologies to MMP as my comment was and is totally wrong concerning Journal #12 (I had J11 in mind).

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Bingo!
Of course, it depends on the formality of the game and the relative skill level of the opponents.
If I'm teaching my son fresh from SK rules, then there's a lot of leeway given.
During tournament play, however, one would expect no quarter in regards to rules errors, omissions, or lapses in memory.
Sometimes the best way to learn (and remember) a rule is to be taught the hard way.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was more thinking of the situation where someone says "enter into bypass and end in Motion" without specifying the exact MP then spent. Then I would ask them something like "so you are expending all the remaining MP to go into bypass then?"
An editorial suggestion to conduct oneself along lines like this when playing was omitted due to space considerations.
Perhaps it goes without saying that one should be generous of spirit when playing.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mister T said:
Yes, and no night scenario this time, so better value. You may want to try in particular "The Price of Non-Compliance".
I must admit the title does seem to have more than a passing resemblance to the kind of work issues and areas you might be involved in :)
Are you saying he's the Eurocrat behind the bendy banana directive?