Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
1. Lanchester AC.
2. Seabrook Armored Car (Naval 3 lbr, 47mm)
3. Sizaire-Berwick Wind Wagon
4. M247 Seargent York Divisional Air Defence Gun, a failed twin 40mm Bofors on a M48 chassis. 1980's US attempt to get a Gepard or Shilka equivalent. They still have no SP AA gun, having retired the M163.

The only common oddity that 1 and 2 share is that they were (like all early WW1 British armoured cars) purchased and used by the Royal Naval Air Service, at least that I can think of.

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. Lanchester AC.
2. Seabrook Armored Car (Naval 3 lbr, 47mm)
3. Sizaire-Berwick Wind Wagon
4. M247 Seargent York Divisional Air Defence Gun, a failed twin 40mm Bofors on a M48 chassis. 1980's US attempt to get a Gepard or Shilka equivalent. They still have no SP AA gun, having retired the M163.

The only common oddity that 1 and 2 share is that they were (like all early WW1 British armoured cars) purchased and used by the Royal Naval Air Service, at least that I can think of.
Paul goes to work :)

My references ( The World Crisis, 1915, Winston S. Churchill, (c) 1923-1931Estate of Winston Churchill; and The World's Worst Weapons, Martin Dougherety, (c) 2007) both cite the Seabrook as the basis for the creation of the Lanchester.

Perhaps you have others I may look at you might recommend on the Great War Armored Cars?

KRL, Jon H

Ps Paul nailed all 4.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Perhaps you have others I may look at you might recommend on the Great War Armored Cars?
My primary interest has been WW2 Soviet and German armed forces, though I have absorbed a fair bit about the other European and US forces.
I have very little on armour prior to the '30s. I don't know exactly why, but though I have an interest in ancient and medieval warfare, from roughly the 7 years war to WW1 has little interest for me.

I have "Russian Armored Cars 1930-2000", James Kinnear, (Darlington Productions, Inc.), ISBN 1-892848-05-8, though it discusses a little bit about the WW1/Civil War leftovers, mainly starts with the early Soviet experience and designs.

Most of what I learned came from the web. Google is your friend, but a couple of useful sites.
http://www.landships.info/landships/index.html
http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
This tank had an unusual mode of travel. And, despite its somewhat primitive appearance, it is a late-war tank.

[If you've cheated to figure out what it is, shame on you!]

JR

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This tank had an unusual mode of travel. And, despite its somewhat primitive appearance, it is a late-war tank.

[If you've cheated to figure out what it is, shame on you!]

JR
no reason to cheat, you pic link title says it all....

:)

by the by the name means "giving new life and new growth". fitting for the time period

another flying tank

Starlancer

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Can someone rep Paul for me? I'm very despereate that I can't do this myself... regards the vicker medium data. Thanks again a lot !!! :)

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Yeah per the image that tank is : Special_No.3_Light_Tank_Ku-Ro

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It most likely could take out a LST or LCM, maybe even a destroyer, provided you dropped it accurately enough. A bomb would be cheaper.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
O-I "Super Heavy Tank" sometimes called the Type-100. Manchuria. I have some doubts that was actually built.
true - Japanese imperial Army war records showed 1 prototype built, sent to Manchuria and destroyed in 1945 fighting with Soviet Forces.

Surviving Ministry of War records show all resources pulled from project and re- assigned 6 months prior to that IJA record.

lots of doubt if it was ever built.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
1 & 2 could both be Lancia IZM. The Lancia IZ (~10 built, 1916) had an additional MG turret on top of the main turret, but this was removed later so becoming practically indistinguishable from the IZM (~100 built, 1918).
3. Ansaldo Pavesi 1925 Armoured Car/Wheeled Tank
The Lanzia IZM also went through a 1928 & 1935 model. To my untutored eye, they are all pretty indistinguishable.

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The Lanzia IZM also went through a 1928 & 1935 model. To my untutored eye, they are all pretty indistinguishable.

JR
I suspect they were partial rebuilds. They definitely replaced the water cooled MG with air cooled MG sometime post WW1.

Status
Not open for further replies.