Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I didn't really consider it a test. :OHNO: It just seemed like a perfect thing to ask about on this thread. In any event, I did some more research of my own and it appears that you are correct that it is a T-16. A poster here claims that "300 or so ex-Swiss Army T16 carriers [were] sold to [the Biafrans] via a dealer in Toronto in 1965," but unfortunately the source page he links to is no longer available.
Fair enough. Just that most here seem to regard it as a quiz. Thanks for finding the source of those. I am surprised at the numbers. Though that war was one that occurred in my teens, the coverage in Ireland was spotty.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The reason you can see it, is the fact that it was loaded from your system; something about the digits remembering what you did.

We, the unwashed masses", only see the small red "x"
I did not load it from my system. It is a link to a system on the internet (int particular, "http://henk.fox3000.com/Bt/bt-sv/1/05.jpg"). Unfortunately they seem to have some kind of protection against deep linking on their site. This is it:

View attachment 42693

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My in-laws lived through the biafran war in Nigeria. Whenthey saw another one coming the left the country dor good.

I hadn't realised the death toll in that "little" conflict.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I did not load it from my system. It is a link to a system on the internet (int particular, "http://henk.fox3000.com/Bt/bt-sv/1/05.jpg"). Unfortunately they seem to have some kind of protection against deep linking on their site. This is it:

View attachment 42693

JR
APC version of the BT-SV? The SV which in turn is based upon the BT-7 but with sloped armour. On the other hand it could be just plywood skinning to disguise a BT-SV during secret tests. The hatch could be the inside of the SV hatch with the turret turned to the rear.

I am very much inclined to the later as another side photograph seems to show a rear facing turret 'buried' in the side walls.

Life can be so deceptive. See http://sam-newberry.livejournal.com/492975.html.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That is a prototype of a "Räumer-S" by Krupp.

This vehicle was built to clear mines by detonating them. It had a weight of 130 tons. Two identical half-vehicles (except for width) each driven by a 360 hp Maybach motor were conntected in the middle by a hydraulic coupler. The length of the vehicle was 15,63m, it was 2,93m high, the wheels were of 53cm width with a 2,7m diameter and 15cm strong rubber pads. The width of the vehicle was up to 3,27m (with the purpose of the wheels clearing a broader parallel path). Detonations were to be coped with by a 1,1m range of spring. The main problem was high ground pressure which made it ill suited to offroad movement. The picture was taken at Hillersleben proving ground, where it was captured.

von Marwitz

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm Popeye, the sailor man

JR

Another excellent vehicle that was built way before the time it really was needed....

Just wish the Germans had 10,000 of these vehicles in the summer of 1940. Operation Sealion would have been a success.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The second looks like an Israeli mod???

Something with a bigger gun (still looks like 75mmish), maybe a longer German one????

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
1st one had 2 names at different times, either T-28 Super Heavy Tank or 105mm Gun Motor Carriage T-95 (as Augie answered)
2nd one is 90mm Gun Motor Carriage M36B1 (M36 turret on M4A3 hull)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
partially correct answer. This particular picture is labeled T-28/T-95

Bonus round. What is so unique about this AFVs treads? ( an no its not just the extra set of them).
I would still give him an A for that, he had the esssential substance (IE identification) spot on.

First each of the 4 sets of suspension used M4 HVSS units with a M4 drive sprocket, idler and 4 HVSS bogie units (3 on each M4 Sherman side) and a longer version of the M4 track. Second the outer pair were mounted in reverse configuration to the inner pair, so compared to, say, a M4A3(76)W HVSS which could be said to be facing outward-outward, the T-28 were mounted inward-outward-outward-inward. Third the outer sets were detachable and could be locked together by joining bars and towed behind the T-28 like a trailer to facilitate behind the front movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.