Da Paul Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let's try this. It may have been modified too far to be recognizable anymore, but Paul has amazed me on more than one occasion.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Interesting one that.

Basic chassis: Hmmm. Too many wheels for a Bren/Universal carrier, but still has the right hull front, so not a Loyd carrier.
The Windsor had both bogies facing like the front one above, but the US Ford manufactured T-16 carrier had the photographed configuration with front and rear bogies facing in opposite directions (the post war Oxford had the bogies reversed compared to above). So a T-16 with extended armour.

Is that a Biafran flag on its rear?

I suspect the photo is vertically stretched a bit, so the vehicle is nothing as tall as it looks.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hehe, Paul seems not to know the solution right away.

Maybe you finally got him with this one? :bigfire::popc1:

von Marwitz

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well if anyone can make Paul scratch his head this thread was worth it...lol

Good job, now back to trying to find some obscure photos.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Interesting one that.

Basic chassis: Hmmm. Too many wheels for a Bren/Universal carrier, but still has the right hull front, so not a Loyd carrier.
The Windsor had both bogies facing like the front one above, but the US Ford manufactured T-16 carrier had the photographed configuration with front and rear bogies facing in opposite directions (the post war Oxford had the bogies reversed compared to above). So a T-16 with extended armour.

I suspect the photo is vertically stretched a bit, so the vehicle is nothing as tall as it looks.
Perhaps an Argentine flag and a modified Vickers 1934?

JR

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting one that.

You're correct that it's a Biafran flag. Unfortunately, I can't confirm whether your conclusion is correct. I just happened across it on a thread about mercenaries in Africa in the 1960s and '70s here: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=179878&start=15#p1810503

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It looks fine to me. Can you see the image in the forum?

JR
No, I can't see it embedded -- just a "broken image" graphic. (That's why I tried copying the URL itself into my address bar.) I'm curious if anyone else can see it.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It looks fine to me. Can you see the image in the forum?

JR
The reason you can see it, is the fact that it was loaded from your system; something about the digits remembering what you did.

We, the unwashed masses", only see the small red "x"

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
You're correct that it's a Biafran flag. Unfortunately, I can't confirm whether your conclusion is correct. I just happened across it on a thread about mercenaries in Africa in the 1960s and '70s here: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=179878&start=15#p1810503
If that was a test, you forgot the very first rule about tests: The tester must know the answer!

It would be interesting to hear how that T-16 got there. They were used by Canadians during WW2 and Dutch and Swiss post war. Maybe some left overs from the British colonial period.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If that was a test, you forgot the very first rule about tests: The tester must know the answer!

It would be interesting to hear how that T-16 got there. They were used by Canadians during WW2 and Dutch and Swiss post war. Maybe some left overs from the British colonial period.
I didn't really consider it a test. :OHNO: It just seemed like a perfect thing to ask about on this thread. In any event, I did some more research of my own and it appears that you are correct that it is a T-16. A poster here claims that "300 or so ex-Swiss Army T16 carriers [were] sold to [the Biafrans] via a dealer in Toronto in 1965," but unfortunately the source page he links to is no longer available.

Status
Not open for further replies.