Da Paul Challenge

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
....The odd "Thing" between the rear two wheels are the legs of a British infantryman whose torso has been photo-shopped out.
For security reasons because he is holding a metal sign that reads "Busted."
...he was an early pioneer of the Mythbuster concept his name was...Sgt. Reginald J. Murgatroyd.
...if you can find the un-edited picture you can see his eyes are looking upwards to heaven...
...hence the phrase "heavens to Murgatroyd."

[Disclaimer: This post is an entry in the game Balderdash...sorry for the cross-post.]

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
My choice is a Soviet BA-10 armoured car turret. What put me off for a while was the front mantle extension. The BA-10 had a rounded mantle, but looking at the remains, that would have fitted over and around the 2 forwards stubs.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
My choice is a Soviet BA-10 armoured car turret. What put me off for a while was the front mantle extension. The BA-10 had a rounded mantle, but looking at the remains, that would have fitted over and around the 2 forwards stubs.
I really do not know which it is. This was pictured at https://rintamamuseo.fi/eng/engstart/ and it did not ave any description-it was recently dug out and they'll probably incorporate it to museum along with various other artifacts.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The first photo doesn't show the slight slope to the armour except at the front, the second does. The layout and rivet pattern for the side vision slot and pistol port "tastes" soooo Soviet. The bevelled edge to the turret roof is only seen in some T-37/T-38 turrets, the T-28 and T-35 main and BA-10 turrets. The T-26, BT and sub-turrets on the T-28 and T-35 all have right angle or close to right angle abrupt roof-wall junctures. The semi circular hatch is mainly if not only seen on BA-9, BA-10 and BA11 (very, very few BA-9 or BA-11 produced). The larger of the 2 circular roof openings correspond to the placement of the rounded conical periscopic gun sight cover on the BA-10.

A second study confirms my initial guess with the placement of the vertical reinforcing armour strip on the right-rear corner and the hand-hold above the vision slit matching the BA-10.

Definitely worth looking at, few BA-10 bits still extant. That gave me a nice work out. Nice find.