Da Paul Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
....The odd "Thing" between the rear two wheels are the legs of a British infantryman whose torso has been photo-shopped out.
For security reasons because he is holding a metal sign that reads "Busted."
...he was an early pioneer of the Mythbuster concept his name was...Sgt. Reginald J. Murgatroyd.
...if you can find the un-edited picture you can see his eyes are looking upwards to heaven...
...hence the phrase "heavens to Murgatroyd."

[Disclaimer: This post is an entry in the game Balderdash...sorry for the cross-post.]

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
My choice is a Soviet BA-10 armoured car turret. What put me off for a while was the front mantle extension. The BA-10 had a rounded mantle, but looking at the remains, that would have fitted over and around the 2 forwards stubs.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
My choice is a Soviet BA-10 armoured car turret. What put me off for a while was the front mantle extension. The BA-10 had a rounded mantle, but looking at the remains, that would have fitted over and around the 2 forwards stubs.
I really do not know which it is. This was pictured at https://rintamamuseo.fi/eng/engstart/ and it did not ave any description-it was recently dug out and they'll probably incorporate it to museum along with various other artifacts.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The first photo doesn't show the slight slope to the armour except at the front, the second does. The layout and rivet pattern for the side vision slot and pistol port "tastes" soooo Soviet. The bevelled edge to the turret roof is only seen in some T-37/T-38 turrets, the T-28 and T-35 main and BA-10 turrets. The T-26, BT and sub-turrets on the T-28 and T-35 all have right angle or close to right angle abrupt roof-wall junctures. The semi circular hatch is mainly if not only seen on BA-9, BA-10 and BA11 (very, very few BA-9 or BA-11 produced). The larger of the 2 circular roof openings correspond to the placement of the rounded conical periscopic gun sight cover on the BA-10.

A second study confirms my initial guess with the placement of the vertical reinforcing armour strip on the right-rear corner and the hand-hold above the vision slit matching the BA-10.

Definitely worth looking at, few BA-10 bits still extant. That gave me a nice work out. Nice find.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well let me dig up some photos...thanks for resurrection of this thread...

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The tractor is a Soviet Voroshilovetz heavy artillery tractor, the successor to the Komintern. 1123 built from '39 to '42, first in the KhPZ (Kharkov) then in the STZ (Stalingrad). It weighed 15.5 tonne and could tow a 22 tonne load, a T-4 in ASL terms. The soldier looks Hungarian, possible Romanian, definitely not German or Soviet.

The tank is the TG-1 prototype. The G is from the designer's name - Edward Grotte, a German designer. It carried a 76mm gun in the fixed superstructure and a long 37mm in the rotating turret. Water cooled MGs were in the sides and rear of the fixed superstructure. While the Soviets were impressed with it's ahead of it's time features, it was also ahead of Soviet industry's ability to build it.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The tractor is a Soviet Voroshilovetz heavy artillery tractor, the successor to the Komintern. 1123 built from '39 to '42, first in the KhPZ (Kharkov) then in the STZ (Stalingrad). It weighed 15.5 tonne and could tow a 22 tonne load, a T-4 in ASL terms. The soldier looks Hungarian, possible Romanian, definitely not German or Soviet.
Fortunately, the photo is in color. The soldier is Bulgarian. The red rank emblems on his collar and the distinctive shape of his tunic's pointy pocket flaps are a giveaway. I have no reference as to his actual (most likely enlisted) rank however.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I would have never thought Bulgarian. Bulgaria only "fought" the USSR when the USSR invaded it in 8-Sep-44 and promptly switched sides. So the Voroshilovetz would have to been captured in the USSR by the Germans then used in somewhere like Yugoslavia and captured by the Bulgarians.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Rappenschlepper OST?
No.

Too big to be a RSO. Looks like a Büssing with tracks added....
No.

The tank is the TG-1 prototype. The G is from the designer's name - Edward Grotte, a German designer. It carried a 76mm gun in the fixed superstructure and a long 37mm in the rotating turret. Water cooled MGs were in the sides and rear of the fixed superstructure. While the Soviets were impressed with it's ahead of it's time features, it was also ahead of Soviet industry's ability to build it.
Yes. Yes.

Glad to see that Paul has not lost his cut! :LOL:

von Marwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.