AP 13?

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You have already received plenty of good advice, but no-one brought up the actual important point: MMP does not reprint Action Packs. If you don't buy it now, it might not be available in the future. The question is not "can I make any use of this product in the immediate future?" but "do I think I will want to own this product at all?" If the answer to the second question is "yes" then you are advised to purchase it at the earliest opportunity.

The same question, and the same answer, applies to any products that MMP releases. Some of those products will get reprinted in the future ... usually after a very long wait. Most will never get reprinted at all.
What Bruce says. I'll add, if it has an official MMP map in in then it is a "must buy."

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You have already received plenty of good advice, but no-one brought up the actual important point: MMP does not reprint Action Packs. If you don't buy it now, it might not be available in the future. The question is not "can I make any use of this product in the immediate future?" but "do I think I will want to own this product at all?" If the answer to the second question is "yes" then you are advised to purchase it at the earliest opportunity.

The same question, and the same answer, applies to any products that MMP releases. Some of those products will get reprinted in the future ... usually after a very long wait. Most will never get reprinted at all.
Prime advice.

I fully support it. It can hardly be overstated how much fuss and money by acting as Bruce advises I have been spared.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The maps will be in the third map bundle.
Production date around 2024.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The scenario cards of AP13 look like they are cut to A4 width rather than 8.5 inches. An interesting minor detail.

JR

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The scenario cards of AP13 look like they are cut to A4 width rather than 8.5 inches. An interesting minor detail.

JR
So, what is known in the rest of the world as 'a sensible size' :p

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
width = 21 cm
length = 29.7 cm
You guys have common measurments down to something as small as a cm, and you have to use 29.7 cm as your standard? If you're going to do that, why not just stick with inches? ;)

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
The secret to A4's perfection as a paper size is not the dimensions, it's the proportions. Fold an A4 in half and each half is exactly A5. Put two A4 pages side-by-side and you have A3. The same principle applies going up to A0 and down to ... well, as far as you want to go, but by the time you get to the size of postage stamps it's probably a moot point.

Similarly fold A4 into three and you have perfect size for business envelopes, etc. It's mathematical magic given flesh.

Whereas I gather that the US Letter dimensions were arrived at by somebody somewhere going "I dunno, that's probably about right".

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The A standard starts with A0 which is 1 sq M in area. The ratio between height and width is √2 so that when folded in half it becomes 2 pages of A1, also with the same ratio of√2. Each folding of an A:thumbsdown: produces 2 x A(n+1).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You guys have common measurments down to something as small as a cm, and you have to use 29.7 cm as your standard? If you're going to do that, why not just stick with inches?
Because...

The A standard starts with A0 which is 1 m² in area. The ratio between height and width is √2 so that when folded in half it becomes 2 pages of A1, also with the same ratio of√2. Each folding of an A:thumbsdown: produces 2 x A(n+1).
The secret to A4's perfection as a paper size is not the dimensions, it's the proportions. Fold an A4 in half and each half is exactly A5. Put two A4 pages side-by-side and you have A3. The same principle applies going up to A0 and down to ... well, as far as you want to go, but by the time you get to the size of postage stamps it's probably a moot point.
... of this. Do you see the beauty of it?

The only scenario the DIN format falls short of is folding down to AP13. ;)

von Marwitz

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did not know this, how interesting! This is the most Jacobin thing since decimal time, and I have no desire to adopt it, but I can appreciate the regularity.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you design your paper with the sole intention of folding it a million times, you've already lost.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The system has other advantages: once you know how it works, you only need to remember one size to be able to reconstruct the others (or, you could do it from scratch because of the "A0 is 1 square meter" thing, but this means A0 is 2^(1/4) by 1/2^(1/4) meters, so most people would need a calculator for this). I learned the 21cm x 29.7cm bit when I was about 12, and never forgot it.

But yes, it's all part of the same metric system (though I'm not sure it was designed during the French revolution, like the rest of the metric system - probably not). Like the "we want the unit of length to be common to all of mankind, so we'll base it on the length of a meridian" bit. The only failure was that the USA failed to adopt it; that the British didn't was to be expected, but come on, at the time the USA were clearly friendlier with the French than the Brits, right?