The Mila 18 NoNsEnSe thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bill Buckner will be relieved to hear that...
Perhaps Bill's is the most infamous, but I'd certainly take the "Shot Heard Around the World" over Billy Buck's bumble in the fame category. Celebrating the positive over the negative in a way too...

Not to mention that Bobby Thompson's blast has survived the test of time & I think Buckner's imitation of a croquet wicket is starting to fade in memory somewhat...

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps Bill's is the most infamous, but I'd certainly take the "Shot Heard Around the World" over Billy Buck's bumble in the fame category. Celebrating the positive over the negative in a way too...

Not to mention that Bobby Thompson's blast has survived the test of time & I think Buckner's imitation of a croquet wicket is starting to fade in memory somewhat...
Also in the team photo:

Ruth's called shot
Mays' backwards basket catch
Fisk waving it fair
Gibson's HR off Eckersley

Shouldn't this be in the Opening Day thread? :laugh:

S

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also in the team photo:

Ruth's called shot
Fisk waving it fair

Shouldn't this be in the Opening Day thread? :laugh:

S
he claimed he thought it was the ball :laugh:
wouldn't he have tried to throw it to the 1st Baseman or did he think he was playing Kickball?

View attachment 30844

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
he claimed he thought it was the ball :laugh:
wouldn't he have tried to throw it to the 1st Baseman or did he think he was playing Kickball?
Hey, if you had that much Steroids/HGH/Cream/Greenies running through your system, you'd be confused too! :devious:

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also in the team photo:

Ruth's called shot
Fisk waving it fair
Not a bad list - my first reaction was Ruth's wasn't that big a deal in the context of the series, but for pure fame, it's a legendary story. When I told my son this morning that Thompson "May have hit the biggest HR in baseball history" his first reaction was "what about Ruth's called shot?" So I guess it's gotta' be there as I doubt he could name Gibby's or Fisk's HRs.

Mays catch went a long way towards winning that series as it was huge contextually in the game. Remember Mays was almost more proud of the throw than the catch actually on that play. Pains me that anything involving Kirk Gibson and the Dodgers may qualify...

Funny I can't think of many of a recent vintage. Maybe:

• Jeter's flip vs. Oakland
  • Dave Roberts steal of 2nd to spur the epic BoSox comeback in '04
  • Luis Gonzalez's single off Mariano to end the Yankee Dynasty in '01
Note I don't think those rate vs. the top 5 mentioned previously - I was just trying to come up with something since '88 so I didn't feel quite as old. :cool:

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Many of these exciting moments are specific to an era.

My dad remembers listening to Gabby Hartnet's "homer in the gloming" to win the pennant for the Cubs in 1938 as fog and darkness decended on Wrigley field.

Ruth's called shot was interesting as the Cub bench was riding Ruth. Babe hated the Cubs because they would all call him the big monkey and pound bats on the tin dugout roof while he was batting.

Merkle's boner was the event of the early 1900s as it allowed a the Cubs to force out a runner after the winning Giant run scored, eventually it became the loss which allowed the Cubs to win the pennant by 1 game over the Giants.

Jackie Robinson's steal of home versus the Yankees was big in the fifties as Yogi Berra tagged him out on the baseball film but the umpire missed the call.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.