The Mila 18 NoNsEnSe thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tim Kurkjen (sp?) said in 20-30 years we will have the greatest HR hitter, the most decorated pitcher and the all time hits leader not in the HOF. :(
But can we really trust the Keebler Elf in regards to baseball? :p Honestly I can't fathom Bonds & Clemens not making it in the next 30 years, although both were arrogant pricks that burned a lot of bridges, so...

Clemens and Bonds were probably HOFers before they used but it won't matter to the writers who are outraged by their cheating (but were strangely silent about what was going on at the time). :nada:
Probably? Roger had an MVP, 3 Cy's and ~200 wins prior to '97 and his move to TOR and the likely year he started shooting up (that was the year at age 34 he had a sudden resurgence & got great again after two marginal out of shape years in Beantown). If he gets hit by a bus at the end of '96, he's in...

Bonds prior to '99 (which by all accounts is the year he started juicing when he missed some time due to injury caused by the juice) was a 3 time MVP with over 400 HRs, 8 gold gloves, a ridiculously good OBP & SLG - again he's in on the bus test at that point.

And you make a great point about the Sportswriters (and owners/management) silence in this whole PEDs scandal. I firmly believe that Bonds never starts using if McGwire/Sosa weren't lauded for their "greatness" with the HR Chase in '98. Had any of the Sportswriters done there job and broken the story then, Bonds likely never injects, but ironically the guy who looked in McGwires locker and found the Andro was branded a Pariah at the time and hugely condemned by the writers. No one wanted to know what was really going on, so should we really punish guys like Bonds who jumped on the bandwagon?

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Provided without comment because I'm speachless:

[video=youtube;YB28WMv7wUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB28WMv7wUE&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
But can we really trust the Keebler Elf in regards to baseball? :p Honestly I can't fathom Bonds & Clemens not making it in the next 30 years, although both were arrogant pricks that burned a lot of bridges, so...
The way the writers are treating McGwire I see no hope for either of them. They will both get more votes but nowhere near enough.

Probably? Roger had an MVP, 3 Cy's and ~200 wins prior to '97 and his move to TOR and the likely year he started shooting up (that was the year at age 34 he had a sudden resurgence & got great again after two marginal out of shape years in Beantown). If he gets hit by a bus at the end of '96, he's in...
Nope. He was very good but 200 wins is not Hall worthy. What puts him over the top is the TOR & NY years but would he have done that well without the juice? :hmmm:

For the record, I would put him in my HOF. :thumup:

Bonds prior to '99 (which by all accounts is the year he started juicing when he missed some time due to injury caused by the juice) was a 3 time MVP with over 400 HRs, 8 gold gloves, a ridiculously good OBP & SLG - again he's in on the bus test at that point.
He was definitely on his way even without the juice. He could've made it to 500 HR easily and that's why I would put him in. :thumup:

And you make a great point about the Sportswriters (and owners/management) silence in this whole PEDs scandal. I firmly believe that Bonds never starts using if McGwire/Sosa weren't lauded for their "greatness" with the HR Chase in '98. Had any of the Sportswriters done there job and broken the story then, Bonds likely never injects, but ironically the guy who looked in McGwires locker and found the Andro was branded a Pariah at the time and hugely condemned by the writers. No one wanted to know what was really going on, so should we really punish guys like Bonds who jumped on the bandwagon?
That's what I don't like about the feds going after Bonds & Clemens. Why not go after Sosa and Palmeiro (and a ton of other MLB players)? :nada:

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The way the writers are treating McGwire I see no hope for either of them. They will both get more votes but nowhere near enough.
Although they were both a ton better than Big Mac as players. Prior to the PEDs scandal there was a lot of talk about McGwire of "is he really a HOFer, he only hit .260 & all he does is hit homers?" - you never heard that kind of talk about Bonds/Clemens.

Nope. He was very good but 200 wins is not Hall worthy. What puts him over the top is the TOR & NY years but would he have done that well without the juice? :hmmm:
Tell that to Sandy "165 wins" Koufax. If Sandy's in, a tragically run over by a bus Clemens is easily in after '96. Thru '96 they are relatively similar except Clemens had more wins & the 2 down years while Koufax just retired at 30. Toss in that Roger pitched in a much tougher era/park/league & I take Roger's peak over Sandy's...

For example Sandy only led the league in ERA+ twice and posted a 160 3 times ever. Roger led the league 5 times, all over 160, by '96 (he had another 4 after '96 including leading the league 3 times). If you didn't let a pre-PEDs Rocket in, you have to take down Sandy's plaque IMO...

For the record, I would put him in my HOF. :thumup:
And depending on how things break, that may be worth more. Never forget the HOF is a tourist attraction to get people to go to upstate NY - if the writers start to induct no one, it won't be a shocker if the HOF pulls their credentials and figures out a different way to get some buzz because if no one new is going in each year it's a much different dynamic in the little hamlet of Cooperstown.

That's what I don't like about the feds going after Bonds & Clemens. Why not go after Sosa and Palmeiro (and a ton of other MLB players)? :nada:
Well Sosa was bright enough to claim he didn't speak English in front of Congress so I don't think they can nail him for lying under oath since all he did was pretend he didn't understand. Palmeiro was the most certain of them all though in his denial - my guess is they have a smoking gun with McNamee on Clemens while there is only rumor and innuendo with regards to Palmeiro. Not to mention Clemens is the best pitcher of his era and an immortal while Raffy was going to be the test case of "Do we have to induct everyone with 3,00 hits and 500 HRs or is it OK to leave off nonentities like that Rafael guy?" Much bigger buzz if you can take down the Rocket. And frankly Rocket's hated by a lot more people - who didn't he piss off at some point in his career?

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Although they were both a ton better than Big Mac as players. Prior to the PEDs scandal there was a lot of talk about McGwire of "is he really a HOFer, he only hit .260 & all he does is hit homers?" - you never heard that kind of talk about Bonds/Clemens.

Tell that to Sandy "165 wins" Koufax. If Sandy's in, a tragically run over by a bus Clemens is easily in after '96. Thru '96 they are relatively similar except Clemens had more wins & the 2 down years while Koufax just retired at 30. Toss in that Roger pitched in a much tougher era/park/league & I take Roger's peak over Sandy's...

For example Sandy only led the league in ERA+ twice and posted a 160 3 times ever. Roger led the league 5 times, all over 160, by '96 (he had another 4 after '96 including leading the league 3 times). If you didn't let a pre-PEDs Rocket in, you have to take down Sandy's plaque IMO...

And depending on how things break, that may be worth more. Never forget the HOF is a tourist attraction to get people to go to upstate NY - if the writers start to induct no one, it won't be a shocker if the HOF pulls their credentials and figures out a different way to get some buzz because if no one new is going in each year it's a much different dynamic in the little hamlet of Cooperstown.

Well Sosa was bright enough to claim he didn't speak English in front of Congress so I don't think they can nail him for lying under oath since all he did was pretend he didn't understand. Palmeiro was the most certain of them all though in his denial - my guess is they have a smoking gun with McNamee on Clemens while there is only rumor and innuendo with regards to Palmeiro. Not to mention Clemens is the best pitcher of his era and an immortal while Raffy was going to be the test case of "Do we have to induct everyone with 3,00 hits and 500 HRs or is it OK to leave off nonentities like that Rafael guy?" Much bigger buzz if you can take down the Rocket. And frankly Rocket's hated by a lot more people - who didn't he piss off at some point in his career?
Sosa used to swing at throws to First Base.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

From Rules for induction to BBHOF:

5. Voting: Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.

Koufax is in a completely different class of player than Clemens, and most other "I'm the Greatest and that's all that matters" players of more recent times. There are more than stats required for entry into the Hall of Fame. This requirement has sadly been missing in the modern era where stats are all that seem to matter. I would rather see him NOT inducted if it means him sharing a wall with Sandy.

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
From Rules for induction to BBHOF:

5. Voting: Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.

Koufax is in a completely different class of player than Clemens, and most other "I'm the Greatest and that's all that matters" players of more recent times. There are more than stats required for entry into the Hall of Fame. This requirement has sadly been missing in the modern era where stats are all that seem to matter. I would rather see him NOT inducted if it means him sharing a wall with Sandy.
Am I the only one that has flashbacks to Blitzkrieg with the "Koufax desert" in the centre north of the board? As I young lad in Australia, many years before the interwebby thingy, I often wondered where the name came from. It was a pun that was totally lost outside of the USA.

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Am I the only one that has flashbacks to Blitzkrieg with the "Koufax desert" in the centre north of the board? As I young lad in Australia, many years before the interwebby thingy, I often wondered where the name came from. It was a pun that was totally lost outside of the USA.
Wasn't it the Great Koufax Desert?
Don't you guys have the Great Sandy Desert?
Hey, it was 65 and he was smokin' 'em.

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just had some leftover spaghetti with Habenero sauce followed with a Strawberry Mister Misty. :yummy:
The world is safe from me for at least the next 24 hours. :smoke:

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
I know this thread is for some serious stuff and all, but I couldn't take it:

- Who could match the Spiderman?
- Newspaperman.

That's all, carry on...

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you ready for some football?

[video=youtube;9ZFFi7dIAJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZFFi7dIAJM&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
I know this thread is for some serious stuff and all, but I couldn't take it:

- Who could match the Spiderman?
- Newspaperman.

That's all, carry on...
That was a very, very shite joke. If you are going to post jokes that bad you could at least soften the blow with some BOOBIES!

Status
Not open for further replies.