The Mila 18 NoNsEnSe thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Not a bad list - my first reaction was Ruth's wasn't that big a deal in the context of the series, but for pure fame, it's a legendary story. When I told my son this morning that Thompson "May have hit the biggest HR in baseball history" his first reaction was "what about Ruth's called shot?" So I guess it's gotta' be there as I doubt he could name Gibby's or Fisk's HRs.

Mays catch went a long way towards winning that series as it was huge contextually in the game. Remember Mays was almost more proud of the throw than the catch actually on that play. Pains me that anything involving Kirk Gibson and the Dodgers may qualify...

Funny I can't think of many of a recent vintage. Maybe:

• Jeter's flip vs. Oakland
  • Dave Roberts steal of 2nd to spur the epic BoSox comeback in '04
  • Luis Gonzalez's single off Mariano to end the Yankee Dynasty in '01
Note I don't think those rate vs. the top 5 mentioned previously - I was just trying to come up with something since '88 so I didn't feel quite as old. :cool:
My unbiased list:

Jeter's flip vs Oakland
Jeter diving into the stands vs the Red Sux
Jeter's "HR" vs Orioles (thank God there wasn't replay back then)
Jeter's jump-throws from deep in the hole vs anybody

Not that I'm biased or anything :whist:

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My unbiased list:

Jeter's flip vs Oakland

You missed "Jeter flailing wildly at the grounder up the middle just out of his reach ('95-'10)" :p

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My unbiased list:

Jeter's flip vs Oakland

Sounds like you've got the Jeter jitters. :sneak::eek:

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Many of these exciting moments are specific to an era.

My dad remembers listening to Gabby Hartnet's "homer in the gloming" to win the pennant for the Cubs in 1938 as fog and darkness decended on Wrigley field.

Ruth's called shot was interesting as the Cub bench was riding Ruth. Babe hated the Cubs because they would all call him the big monkey and pound bats on the tin dugout roof while he was batting.

Merkle's boner was the event of the early 1900s as it allowed a the Cubs to force out a runner after the winning Giant run scored, eventually it became the loss which allowed the Cubs to win the pennant by 1 game over the Giants.

Jackie Robinson's steal of home versus the Yankees was big in the fifties as Yogi Berra tagged him out on the baseball film but the umpire missed the call.

Rich
How come all but one of yours involve the Cubs? :)

All good ones, although I don't remember much about Robinson's steal. Which series? Was it '55 when the Dodgers finally won? Did a game/series turn on that play?

The Schnozz's Snooze in the '39 series could likely make the list as well. Mazeroski's HR in '60 certainly belongs in a top 10. Maybe Joe Carter's HR in the '93 series, it was only game 6 but it did end the Series?

Didn't Billy Martin have a huge play in one of the early '50s series? Blanking on the exact situation though...

I think the Shot Heard Round the World and Mays' catch have benefited greatly from their being film of the events - and of course Russ Hodges legendary "The Giants Win the PENNANT!!!" call while some of the others are forgotten in the mists of time since we can only read about them. And who reads anymore anyway? :(

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chubs caught lying? I'm shocked! SHOCKED!! I tell you!
He's only been indicted. Not convicted, well except by Red Sox Nation...

Could be an interesting battle as he seems intent on not admitting guilt. If he gets off, does that qualify him for the hall?

'Course the odds would seem to be stacked against the Rocket so that last question may be quite the "Moo Point"...

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States

Could be an interesting battle as he seems intent on not admitting guilt. If he gets off, does that qualify him for the hall?

'Course the odds would seem to be stacked against the Rocket so that last question may be quite the "Moo Point"...
The Feds have over a 95% conviction percentage (many cases not going to trial).

That is when I knew Vick was done, when he got indited on the Fed and not State level.

ESPN'S legal guy (taking it for what its worth), said that he feels clearly the feds have more witnesses than McNamee as they would not pin their case on just him.

AS far as the "Hall" for the short term he (and the rest of them) are done. I think that eventually, some will get in, but this issue (the PED) needs to simmer down for some time before anyone is in the Hall.

Peace

roger

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Feds have over a 95% conviction percentage (many cases not going to trial).
Yes, the Feds tend not to indict unless they have an airtight case & the ESPN legal dude seemed to think this one was especially meticulous in the indictment. Roger's chances of skating are rather low I think.

AS far as the "Hall" for the short term he (and the rest of them) are done. I think that eventually, some will get in, but this issue (the PED) needs to simmer down for some time before anyone is in the Hall.
Mike & Mike (or rather Golic and the sub) were asking this morning if Roger was found not guilty would that imply he was PEDs free and thus usher him easily into the hall? It's an interesting question. We ALL believe Roger took something, but if found not guilty (as opposed to innocent of course) in a court of law, would that bless him in the eyes of the HoF as a non-sinner? I'd tend to think yes.

I agree none of these guys are getting in for awhile. I tend to think guys like Clemens & Bonds that were no-doubt HOFers prior to when we believe they likely started their PEDs usage, should get in sooner rather than later, but I don't expect that to happen either. It'll be interesting if we have a 10 to 15 year stretch with hardly anyone in from that era. Seems likely for a long time...

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It's more than Red Sux Nation. They asked on First Take/Cold Pizza this morning if he was a HOFer and over 60% (I think it was 61.3% or something close to that) of Sportsnation thinks No.

Of course Red Sux Nation believes Manny didn't worry about his ovaries until he went to LA and Big Sloppy didn't use either. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yes, the Feds tend not to indict unless they have an airtight case & the ESPN legal dude seemed to think this one was especially meticulous in the indictment. Roger's chances of skating are rather low I think.

Mike & Mike (or rather Golic and the sub) were asking this morning if Roger was found not guilty would that imply he was PEDs free and thus usher him easily into the hall? It's an interesting question. We ALL believe Roger took something, but if found not guilty (as opposed to innocent of course) in a court of law, would that bless him in the eyes of the HoF as a non-sinner? I'd tend to think yes.

I agree none of these guys are getting in for awhile. I tend to think guys like Clemens & Bonds that were no-doubt HOFers prior to when we believe they likely started their PEDs usage, should get in sooner rather than later, but I don't expect that to happen either. It'll be interesting if we have a 10 to 15 year stretch with hardly anyone in from that era. Seems likely for a long time...
Tim Kurkjen (sp?) said in 20-30 years we will have the greatest HR hitter, the most decorated pitcher and the all time hits leader not in the HOF. :(

Clemens and Bonds were probably HOFers before they used but it won't matter to the writers who are outraged by their cheating (but were strangely silent about what was going on at the time). :nada:

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Boobs and man sport (American Football) please. Fat, users in PJ's need not apply.

Que near naked women playing football:yummy:

Status
Not open for further replies.