USMC underated?

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Marines are fine in ASL. The squad types give a good sense of the change in the USMC squad organization through the war.

Also, be thankful it even happened with some Former Marine input; do you know how hard it is to find a few Marines that can read and write beyond single syllable words that are not recitations of bodily noises? :devious:

Last edited:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Marines are fine in ASL. The squad types give a good sense of the change in the USMC squad organization through the war.

Also, be thankful it even happened with some Former Marine input; do you know how hard it is to find a few Marines that can read and write beyond single syllable words that are not recitations of bodily noises? :devious:
Agree with both statements.

Steve Swann is the exception - I've met him and enjoyed the conversations we have had.

Just wish other "former" Marines could speak "coherent" sentences WITHOUT a curse word......

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I knew a few of the "Proud and the Brave". My friend Mike who has passed taught me how to be more civil. He gave speeches about recycling on behalf of his company. Do not put down any MARINES in any way! For the most part they are all good people.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do not put down any MARINES in any way! For the most part they are all good people.
You may not understand but the put downs are inter-service rivalry and are actually a bizarre way of showing respect.

cVan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You may not understand but the put downs are inter-service rivalry and are actually a bizarre way of showing respect.
Marine Army Differences

I got a good laugh when I saw the following cartoon earlier in the week:

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
So! It's your fault! Just kidding ;) Would you happen to remember those other squads values? Just wondering.
Sorry, I do not remember the values, we had war dog squad, assault/ ft teams, raider squads and one other that i don't remember.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I knew a few of the "Proud and the Brave". My friend Mike who has passed taught me how to be more civil. He gave speeches about recycling on behalf of his company. Do not put down any MARINES in any way! For the most part they are all good people.
its the " Few and the Proud" Bravery's for idiots trying to win medals....

KRL, jon H

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I got it from Wheaties not Cornflakes, but, that maybe over your jared head

:devious:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
you sure it wasn't Life cereal " ahhh give it to Mikey, he'll drive anything!!!"

;)
He wanted to get the cereal called, "Life", but he always hated when he got told, "Get a Life"......

So Don is "scarred" like that.

Me, I've had a cereal named for me from Kellogg's, "Special K"...... Tastes "most excellent with sugar and fruit"......

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He wanted to get the cereal called, "Life", but he always hated when he got told, "Get a Life"......

So Don is "scarred" like that.

Me, I've had a cereal named for me from Kellogg's, "Special K"...... Tastes "most excellent with sugar and fruit"......
I'll take your word for it how it tastes... I really don't care to know.

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Raisin Brand!

Late War USMC squads should be a 9-6-8. They should break down to 3 half squads of 3-5-8. These late squads had 3 BARS and were often broken up into 3 maneuver groups. JMO :)

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Raisin Brand!

Late War USMC squads should be a 9-6-8. They should break down to 3 half squads of 3-5-8. These late squads had 3 BARS and were often broken up into 3 maneuver groups. JMO :)
Doing the math (using VFTT 26/27) suggests that the FP is right for the late war USMC squads, maybe a little too generous. Breaking down to 3 HSs of 2FP (2-4-8) is end note 43 of Chapter G.

Maybe there might be something a bit more official with the Korean War module in development as the USMC were a bit more prominent.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Raisin Brand!

Not according to the existing pattern of ASL squads. 3 basic FP (just someone shooting) + 3 x 1 (1 per LMG of any type) and a final + 1 (for having majority semi-automatic rifles rather than bolt action), total 7. Then you have a choice of 2 x 348 or 3 x 248, To get a 9XY you would have to have the USMC squad with 3 BAR and (nearly) all the rest with SMG/Assault Rifles.

For more details, check out an old post of mine (http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?111383-Paul-s-Ponderous-Pompous-Pedantic-Proclamations-Patter-and-Platitudes, post 13) on my reading of the ASL squad values and their progression.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Not according to the existing pattern of ASL squads. 3 basic FP (just someone shooting) + 3 x 1 (1 per LMG of any type) and a final + 1 (for having majority semi-automatic rifles rather than bolt action), total 7. Then you have a choice of 2 x 348 or 3 x 248, To get a 9XY you would have to have the USMC squad with 3 BAR and (nearly) all the rest with SMG/Assault Rifles.

For more details, check out an old post of mine (http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?111383-Paul-s-Ponderous-Pompous-Pedantic-Proclamations-Patter-and-Platitudes, post 13) on my reading of the ASL squad values and their progression.
Noice work.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Noice work.
I am glad you like it. I must strongly stress that post was just my analysis of the existing squad types. Nothing to do about whether they accurately reflect real WW2 combat worth, just ASL's take on things. Of course if you want to introduce a new squad type and be consistent with the existing types, my analysis might be useful, otherwise just nerdish trivia.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Raisin Brand!

just an aside, the USMC rifle Squad is still broken down into three Fire team maneuver groups, each with a M249 SAW as its base of fire.

:)

KRL, Jon H