THe Olympics

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
However...I hate it...and I'm with you and would chuck them out.
Apparently, the authorites agree with us and all eight have been disqualified, according to the latest reports.

Swift, decisive action... I like it :)

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Apparently, the authorites agree with us and all eight have been disqualified, according to the latest reports.

Swift, decisive action... I like it :)
Very..

Though I have a suspicion they'll appeal and probably be let back in.

Then probably pull one of these Asian strops we seem to see far too frequently and stage a sit in until the lights are turned out.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You're still pissed at the Japanese protest that reduced the male gymnastics teams medal from silver to bronze?

Very..

Though I have a suspicion they'll appeal and probably be let back in.

Then probably pull one of these Asian strops we seem to see far too frequently and stage a sit in until the lights are turned out.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
You're still pissed at the Japanese protest that reduced the male gymnastics teams medal from silver to bronze?
Yeah...the age old defence of "yes he fell off the pommelhorse but he fell off with style"

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The counterargument....

They've put themselves in that position by playing well earlier in the games.

They've broken no rules.

They can do what they wish.

It's little different than a Premiership football team fielding a team specifically aimed to not prolonging a minor cup competition.

However...I hate it...and I'm with you and would chuck them out.
Apparently it is the "playing to lose" thing that is against the rules. the Japanese women were apparently close to the wind with their last group stage football game where a draw would see them stay in Cardiff (which they like) for the knockouts.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Apparently it is the "playing to lose" thing that is against the rules. the Japanese women were apparently close to the wind with their last group stage football game where a draw would see them stay in Cardiff (which they like) for the knockouts.
I actually wonder what goes through peoples heads when they make the intelligent decision to move something from a straight knockout to a group competition.
May I draw their attention to the Austria v Germany 'non aggression pact' in the 1982 World Cup
It should be enshrined on sporting case-law

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I don't have a problem with them playing the system for a desired outcome. What's that the ASL guys say - "Concentrate on what the rules allow"?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Gold medals are like London buses. You wait for ages for one and then two arrive at the same time. Well done guys.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I don't have a problem with them playing the system for a desired outcome. What's that the ASL guys say - "Concentrate on what the rules allow"?
Correct...
It is the system that allows it.
I applaud the authorities for nailing them but do suspect they'll appeal and cannot fail to win.

Having said that I haven't read the rulebook and hopefully there will be a clause that says "play to lose and you're out".

Mind you...is it always that easy to judge anyway (though granted it was pretty blatant yesterday)

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just watched the Men's Epee Final. A magnificent bout. Well done Venezuela's Reuben Limardo even though you are a mutant!

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Mens 100 meters freestyle, what a race! 1/100th of a second between gold and silver, both were fantastic!

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Mens 100 meters freestyle, what a race! 1/100th of a second between gold and silver, both were fantastic!
Rather surprised to see the Aussie girls go down in the Beach Volleyball (watching the US play Austrians now).

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
You don't hear too many broad Lancastrian or Yorkshire accents in the rowing....
Is it a sport just for toffs ??