THe Olympics

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
For someone who practically wallows in a love of mediocracy with the footy team you follow you seem to have no soul. 100 years since we last medaled..
We weren't always mediocre.....
We've gone through periods of being very good. We were on cusp of getting into the Premiership a few years back and beat three Premiership teams in two cup runs during our height under Dave Jones and had a team which would have EASILY competed at Premiership level (half of that team eventually went on to become Premiership players).
I'm not about following County cos I like mediocrity...I follow County because they're MY team....having been raped and pillaged by some fat cunting businessmen who I hope die miserable and broke, doesn't change that.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In Ireland, a common phrase is "I don't mind who wins, as long as it's not the English". :D
I am sure similar occurs between the Serbs and Croats.
That's exactly what I say about the Cubs, if they lose there is harmony in the world

Geoff White

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
In Ireland, a common phrase is "I don't mind who wins, as long as it's not the English". :D
Hey, speak for yourself. Anyway, "Enland" isn't in the Olympics.

Good luck to GB, I am enjoying sitting here watching it on tv and sorting through old issues of The General for ASL stuff.

G

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well I'm sure the second loudest cheer for a team entering the stadium on Friday was for the Irish.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Bronze isn't winning....
It's the glory of the mediocre
I hate it

It's a bit like shoving a thousand pounds on a thoroughbred which has never won anything but is expected to place and it only shows....It's done well....but your still gonna be pissed off.

You don't get it. I've watched the Olympics since '72. Time spent watching all sorts of sports and I soon got the idea that there were going to be no Brits to be seen in the pool, the Gymnastics - we'd be 20th, and so on. Our Mens' gymnastic team did something special. Just being in the team final was something special. A bronze for the first time in 100 years in a sport we've been very poor at is not mediocre.

I just watched a full soccer match - I'm prepared to call it football - for the first time in about 30 years. GB Women looked sure to win.

I missed the Phelps moments. I'll watch the highlight show. He seems to be the Olympian of all time.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We weren't always mediocre.....
We've gone through periods of being very good. We were on cusp of getting into the Premiership a few years back and beat three Premiership teams in two cup runs during our height under Dave Jones and had a team which would have EASILY competed at Premiership level (half of that team eventually went on to become Premiership players).
I'm not about following County cos I like mediocrity...I follow County because they're MY team....having been raped and pillaged by some fat cunting businessmen who I hope die miserable and broke, doesn't change that.
I'm not following Britain because they're your country, I'm following them because they're mine. Your cynicism doesn't change that.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You don't get it. I've watched the Olympics since '72. Time spent watching all sorts of sports and I soon got the idea that there were going to be no Brits to be seen in the pool, the Gymnastics - we'd be 20th, and so on. Our Mens' gymnastic team did something special. Just being in the team final was something special. A bronze for the first time in 100 years in a sport we've been very poor at is not mediocre.

I just watched a full soccer match - I'm prepared to call it football - for the first time in about 30 years. GB Women looked sure to win.

I missed the Phelps moments. I'll watch the highlight show. He seems to be the Olympian of all time.

I agree.

It was great, dramatic sports at its finest. It really hit home when one of the announcers stated, "no one alive has watched the GB mens gymnastic team win a medal.". I was glued after that.

Im glad they got a medal, any medal.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I want to thank everyone that is helping out with the Olympics for making this a very good one to watch.\

Also, I want to mention that the "Good Old Boy" network, when it comes to getting tickets for the Olympic events, is very embarassing to the host nation. Many EMPTY seats at the events with "paying customers" unable to buy a ticket to watch the events.......

It happens..........

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I want to thank everyone that is helping out with the Olympics for making this a very good one to watch.\

Also, I want to mention that the "Good Old Boy" network, when it comes to getting tickets for the Olympic events, is very embarassing to the host nation. Many EMPTY seats at the events with "paying customers" unable to buy a ticket to watch the events.......

It happens..........
It's been a major talking point here. Happens that sponsors demand a percentage of these seats then the people they are schmoosing attend certain events and not others. Then there are the seats set aside for athletes who are entitled to attend other events but don't early on because of focus on their own events, which have yet to take place. Final problem is that some of these seats are the best in the house, so the camera is often opposite them in the arena.

One thing that has become apparent is a total commitment by the BBC to show it all here. They have the usual lead shows on their usual channels, but there are 24 other channels showing every single event live. Just before 11pm our time I was watching the US play someone in the Beach Volleyball (womens), having just seen Brazil batter Russia in the "proper" men's volleyball. Only thing that can tear me away are a couple of days ASL.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I agree.

It was great, dramatic sports at its finest. It really hit home when one of the announcers stated, "no one alive has watched the GB mens gymnastic team win a medal.". I was glued after that.

Im glad they got a medal, any medal.

I'm even pleased with the women getting 6th, because once again they managed to get into the team final, where years ago they'd be knocked out first day.

US Gymnastic women were very good, deserved that team gold...

[not sure who she is - possibly Maroney, but the camera/computer work is clever]

Oh and I predict a new scandal tomorrow: Someone will notice that the Swiss have a Beach Volleyball team.

Last edited:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Last edited:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
It's been a major talking point here. Happens that sponsors demand a percentage of these seats then the people they are schmoosing attend certain events and not others. Then there are the seats set aside for athletes who are entitled to attend other events but don't early on because of focus on their own events, which have yet to take place. Final problem is that some of these seats are the best in the house, so the camera is often opposite them in the arena.

One thing that has become apparent is a total commitment by the BBC to show it all here. They have the usual lead shows on their usual channels, but there are 24 other channels showing every single event live. Just before 11pm our time I was watching the US play someone in the Beach Volleyball (womens), having just seen Brazil batter Russia in the "proper" men's volleyball. Only thing that can tear me away are a couple of days ASL.
The BBC red button allows you to literally go through a planner and switch to whatever sport is on anywhere at the click of a button.
It keeps bringing me back to beach volleyball

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine

A problem easily resolved in any of a number of ways....

If anyone could be arsed to.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What do you think will happen with the womens pairs badminton. Two matches where the competitors are accused of trying to lose. If the governoing body of the sport do not take quick and decisive action, the sport risks being discarded from the next olympics. There are already a large number of sports wanting in but limited numbers. Badminton could find themselves in a very sticky position.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
What do you think will happen with the womens pairs badminton.
I think all 8 competitors should be sent home. Deliberately seekign to throw a match is a flagrant abuse. No excuse.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I think all 8 competitors should be sent home. Deliberately seekign to throw a match is a flagrant abuse. No excuse.
The counterargument....

They've put themselves in that position by playing well earlier in the games.

They've broken no rules.

They can do what they wish.

It's little different than a Premiership football team fielding a team specifically aimed to not prolonging a minor cup competition.

However...I hate it...and I'm with you and would chuck them out.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
What do you think will happen with the womens pairs badminton. Two matches where the competitors are accused of trying to lose. If the governoing body of the sport do not take quick and decisive action, the sport risks being discarded from the next olympics. There are already a large number of sports wanting in but limited numbers. Badminton could find themselves in a very sticky position.
Get rid of it and get darts in...

Gold for Britain courtesy of THE POWER