Possible (non-ASL) ASLOK opportunity for non-US attendee

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi. I am attending ASLOK this year. One of my other hobbies is roadside photography, in which I drive around back-country Ohio and take photographs of things that interest me. Last year, I took a day off from ASLOK to do this and offered to take someone with me if they wanted to go (someone did and seemingly enjoyed himself). For someone from outside the US, the interest is that you would see parts of the US you likely never otherwise would have an opportunity to--the beautiful but poverty-stricken Appalachian foothills, actual Amish people, perhaps a bit of Rust Belt, who knows? Last year we chanced upon an old, abandoned tuberculosis hospital.

The whole thing is weather dependent (it could rain all week long). It helps if you are a reasonably good conversationalist and don't have bladder issues. Unless weather interferes, it would likely be a day long event, so you probably wouldn't be able to get a game in that day (you might be able to get a late evening game in, but probably couldn't plan it in advance).

If you think you might be interested in this, come see me earlier in the week at ASLOK.

Here are a few sample photos I've taken from past excursions.

oldhomestead.jpg

ChurchMan.jpg

26025741_10154890335131432_1661571444844673790_o.jpg

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Agreed. Nice pics.

If my ASLOK trip weren't so condensed, Mark, I'd take you up on your offer.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Mark takes nice pics, I enjoy seeing them when he posts.....

Roger

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Is the man in the photo an ASL’er or just some folk you met? Nice pictures btw.

I like the one with the log cabin/house what kind of car was that? Looks like a neat place.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is the man in the photo an ASL’er or just some folk you met? Nice pictures btw.

I like the one with the log cabin/house what kind of car was that? Looks like a neat place.
The guy was just a guy. I make it a point not to take pictures of shirtless ASLers. I was taking a photograph of an old 19th century church that was up against a hill, kind of in someone's backyard. He lived right next door and was curious about what I was doing, so he moseyed over. We struck up a conversation and I took his photo.

I haven't tried to ID the automobile yet. It looks late 40s.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
please post links of your photo blogs....... pics are amazing

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... point not to take pictures of... ASLers.
<select snip> for a reason.

You may wish to take pictures of ASLers (with shirts)...we won't be around forever. RIP Mr. Wright...Mr. Daglish...etc...

Who better to document ASLOk in Kodachrome or photo noir?...One day on some non-supported website or way back machine that is all there will be of us...we ASLers....we gronards of the ASLRB.

And you do seem to have the skill for such photos. A few cameos and group/room shots each year...

You could pass them to Bret to post to the main ASLOk site (add your tag line) and there some of us will be right there in that way back machine...thanks to you. AND, and...we could be on DM too, two chance at immortality in bits and bytes....

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I didn't know better Mark, I would have said you were scouting locations for the next season of "The Walking Dead"
Brilliant BTW
Ha! People tell me I photograph the post-apocalyptic zombie world because human beings do not appear in 99% of the photos I take. :)

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Mark and I went for a very memorable drive last year through parts of rural Ohio. Highly recommended if any attendees are inclined to take a day off from ASL.

Thanks again, Mark!