New members introduce yourself here

mblume

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
New to GameSquad: ASL player from Switzerland

Hello, as I am new to the forum, I would like to take the chance to introduce myself. As I mostly play ASL, I will highlight on my ASL gaming past:

I was born in Germany in 1973. Meanwhile, I live in Feldmeilen near Zürich, Switzerland. I started to play ASL at age 16. I attended a few ASL tournaments Germany in the early 2000's (Grenadier, Westwall). I played ASL on a regular basis with Jan F. (from Bern) in 2002 - 2006, and less frequent with Chris M. (Zürich) from 2007 to 2009. Due to the birth of our daughter Lynn, I didn't play from 2009 until the Alpenfestung I in early 2011. My playing level is «amateur».

I host a mini-ASL tournament twice a year: Please visit the Alpenfestung.

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Re: New to GameSquad: ASL player from Switzerland

Hello, as I am new to the forum, I would like to take the chance to introduce myself. As I mostly play ASL, I will highlight on my ASL gaming past:

I was born in Germany in 1973. Meanwhile, I live in Feldmeilen near Zürich, Switzerland. I started to play ASL at age 16. I attended a few ASL tournaments Germany in the early 2000's (Grenadier, Westwall). I played ASL on a regular basis with Jan F. (from Bern) in 2002 - 2006, and less frequent with Chris M. (Zürich) from 2007 to 2009. Due to the birth of our daughter Lynn, I didn't play from 2009 until the Alpenfestung I in early 2011. My playing level is «amateur».

Welcome mblume!

You sound like more than an amateur if you host a tournament though.
I hope You get some more attendees through Game Squad.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Wish I had known you were in switzerland when I worked in Basel, Zurich and Lugano, from 2001 to 2006!

mblume

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland

Dear Olli

so do I... in Switzerland, it is never easy to meet new ASL players. Did you have a chance to play ASL face-to-face? Do you still know people in Switzerland that play ASL? Maybe I don't know them yet.

Greetings from Zürich
Marc.

mblume

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland

Welcome mblume!

You sound like more than an amateur if you host a tournament though.
I hope You get some more attendees through Game Squad.
Mmh... interesting point... what is your measure of gaming expertise?

- Number of years played?
- Number of scenarios played?
- Number of tournaments attended?
- Rules knowledge?
- Ratio of scenarios won?

I weigh the last criteria most - and by this, I turn out to win and lose about 50% of my ASL scenarios. I would expect an expert to win most of the time... :crosseye:

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Mmh... interesting point... what is your measure of gaming expertise?

- Number of years played?
- Number of scenarios played?
- Number of tournaments attended?
- Rules knowledge?
- Ratio of scenarios won?

I weigh the last criteria most - and by this, I turn out to win and lose about 50% of my ASL scenarios. I would expect an expert to win most of the time... :crosseye:
Welcome to Gamesquad, I think your way could be flawed. I win more than I loose but many of the players I play have had less experiance than I so I should. However if your main opponent is a top player then you may find playing away from them that you win far more games than when isolated. I think most of us are better than we give ourselves credit for

Ian

mblume

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland

Ian, you are right.

Your local «ecosystem» of players certainly matters a lot for the ratio of scenarios that you win. So a big frog in a small pond might suffer terribly when he travels to a big international tournament... I refered to my tournament experiences. In a worldwide sense, I believe they were not top notch but still challenging, and I turned out to be in the middle of the player ranking. So I wouldn't dare to call me an «expert». :crosseye:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

I think most people do down their ability. Who wants to declare that they are a top player?

I recall my first visit to a tournament, I was so nervous in my first game and was astonished by how bad my opponent was! Am I an expert player? Nope but my rules knowledge is decent. Even so I still do things wrongly all the time and have never player a game without doing a rules dive.

Nevertheless, welcome to the forum. Hopefully you'll find a niche here to your liking whether it be in the AARs, the rules and errata or the FOBA thread.

dwebster

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

Hi All,

I'm David, new player, 47yo, located in Sydney, Australia looking for other FTF players. I've had a ball going through SK#1 and #2 (part) with a buddy but it's taken over a year because it's hard to catch up with him. So I'm looking for more games. South West Sydney would be ideal but not important. Weekends or weeknights.

Me? Hardcore gamer/wargamer/RPGer for over 20 yrs, but only recently (2 yrs) getting back into gaming. I can't believe I never touched ASL/SL 20 years ago when I was into SFB in a big way and obviously not averse to a rule or two.

I think I'm hooked on ASL now!

Have a fantastic Christmas!

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Hi All,

I'm David, new player, 47yo, located in Sydney, Australia looking for other FTF players. I've had a ball going through SK#1 and #2 (part) with a buddy but it's taken over a year because it's hard to catch up with him. So I'm looking for more games. South West Sydney would be ideal but not important. Weekends or weeknights.

Me? Hardcore gamer/wargamer/RPGer for over 20 yrs, but only recently (2 yrs) getting back into gaming. I can't believe I never touched ASL/SL 20 years ago when I was into SFB in a big way and obviously not averse to a rule or two.

Hello David. Welcome to the addiction that is ASL. U may leave it for a little while, but you'll always seem to come back. As a newby on this forum myself, i have already learned rules intrepretations i'd been playing wrong for years. This a great place to meet players around the world and find the answer to ANY question you come across. Dont be afraid to ask, there are no stupid questions.
MWR

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Hi All,

Hi David, go to opponents wanted section of the forum, it's a great place to hook up with other players. Also the VASL section (computer program that's free, that allows you to play on a vertual board either real time or PBeM), you should be able to find someone(s) to play

Cheers
Ian

vmoneil

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Greetings all & happy holidays!

I've been lurking on the forum for some time, and figured it high time to introduce myself before popping up with the occasional comment, newbie question or opponent search query..

I'm a former gaming hobbyist who's been gradually getting back in to it in recent years. I am, regrettably, not going to help get the median age of the ASL community any younger as I fit into the mid-forties, eyesight-going-south crowd.

I collected and played AH and SPI stuff pretty extensively in my teenage years (i.e. the 80s), mostly solitaire, plus some limited face-to-face. I was a huge fan of SL/CoI/CoD/GI and started down the ASL road with interest before life took various turns and my involvement in gaming ground to a stand-still.

Over the past year or so I've started to get interested again and have been amazed at how the ASL hobby is thriving. I have been enjoying re-engaging gradually, starting to resume collecting modules and scenario packs, taking another crack at digesting the ASL rules and observing the active and supportive forum activity here and elsewhere. At this point I've played a couple of solitaire ASLSK games to help me get back in to it, and am looking to gradually ramping up my activities as time (and the patience of others) allows.

Happy upcoming new year to all - Michael

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Greetings all & happy holidays!

I've been lurking on the forum for some time, and figured it high time to introduce myself before popping up with the occasional comment, newbie question or opponent search query..

I'm a former gaming hobbyist who's been gradually getting back in to it in recent years. I am, regrettably, not going to help get the median age of the ASL community any younger as I fit into the mid-forties, eyesight-going-south crowd.

I collected and played AH and SPI stuff pretty extensively in my teenage years (i.e. the 80s), mostly solitaire, plus some limited face-to-face. I was a huge fan of SL/CoI/CoD/GI and started down the ASL road with interest before life took various turns and my involvement in gaming ground to a stand-still.

Over the past year or so I've started to get interested again and have been amazed at how the ASL hobby is thriving. I have been enjoying re-engaging gradually, starting to resume collecting modules and scenario packs, taking another crack at digesting the ASL rules and observing the active and supportive forum activity here and elsewhere. At this point I've played a couple of solitaire ASLSK games to help me get back in to it, and am looking to gradually ramping up my activities as time (and the patience of others) allows.

Happy upcoming new year to all - Michael
Hello and welcome to the madhouse. Enjoy it here

Ian

vmoneil

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Thanks Ian.
BTW, I am not from Switzerland - I seem to have inherited that subject line when replying to the thread.
From NYC, USA, actually.
Though Switzerland sounds and looks very nice indeed from what I have heard and seen.
- Michael

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Thanks Ian.
BTW, I am not from Switzerland - I seem to have inherited that subject line when replying to the thread.
From NYC, USA, actually.
Though Switzerland sounds and looks very nice indeed from what I have heard and seen.
- Michael
Michael,

Robin Reeve is a member of this forum and he lives in Switzerland....

Welcome and enjoy participating in any threads and BEWARE of that "Psycho" character..... He's 'different'......