New CG "Kreta" from Heat of Battle

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score
This product sounds excellent.

I'm currently reading Alan Moorehead's The March to Tunis and just finished the section on the battle for Crete. Moorehead describes how the Germans threw everything they had at the island, thinking it was more sparsely held than it was. While reading I could picture the German paratroopers spilling from low-flying planes, German gliders (according to Moorehead this was the first time gliders were seen in action) crashing into the rocky valleys and German troop carrier after troop carrier attempting to land at Maleme airport in an attempt to unload reinforcements, only to get blasted by New Zealanders...
I can't wait to give the defense of Maleme airport a shot myself.

I'd like to learn more about the battle for Crete. Does anyone have any reading suggestions?

John Richards

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, who is the designer on this one? I'd like to know a little bit more before I part with my hard-earned (yes, I know that spits in the face of ASL tradition, but there you have it.).
The Heat of Battle website lists the designers as Andrew Hershey, Shaun Carter, Derek Ward, Michael Hastrup-Leth, and Magnus Hindsberger.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
This product sounds excellent.

I'm currently reading Alan Moorehead's The March to Tunis and just finished the section on the battle for Crete. Moorehead describes how the Germans threw everything they had at the island, thinking it was more sparsely held than it was. While reading I could picture the German paratroopers spilling from low-flying planes, German gliders (according to Moorehead this was the first time gliders were seen in action) crashing into the rocky valleys and German troop carrier after troop carrier attempting to land at Maleme airport in an attempt to unload reinforcements, only to get blasted by New Zealanders...
I can't wait to give the defense of Maleme airport a shot myself.

I'd like to learn more about the battle for Crete. Does anyone have any reading suggestions?
IIRC,Gliders were used first in the attack on Fort Eben Emael, Belgium.

Jm2C

Eduardoh

Reaction score
Country
llBrazil
That's a very good question. It would be nice to know which boards and overlays are required for the scenarios also.

I'm guessing you would need BV and WOA/FKAC at a minimum for the German and British OB. Hopefully no Italians are required as they are OOP. Maybe DB for some Greeks and ordnance? Also OOP. :( At least DB is coming soonish :)

Kreta looks great! This looks like another winner from HOB.
Well, maps are not a concern for me, but counters are. What I´d like to know, speciffically, is: What nationalities (germans, english, allied minor?...) do I need for the campaign game? :yummy:

Thanks
Eduardo

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Well, maps are not a concern for me, but counters are. What I´d like to know, speciffically, is: What nationalities (germans, english, allied minor?...) do I need for the campaign game? :yummy:

Thanks
Eduardo
German, British & Allied Minor

Eduardoh

Reaction score
Country
llBrazil
Ok, thanks.

Last question: Is 'The Last Hurrah' enough for the allied minor counters? Or do I need 'Doomed Battalions'?

Thanks again.
Eduardo

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
I believe "Last Hurrah" will be enough as the Greeks were mostly(only) infantry capable.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Can MMP get the DB reprint out already? :freak:

:D

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Antony Beevor's Crete; I found it to be a good read. It discusses the action from the battle, and the aftermat with Cretan Freedom fighters aided by the British SOE.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just ordered. Thanks for HoB for making another item available for us to play.

You did a great job of keeping this one under wraps. I didn't hear a thing. :)

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which to me is too bad because I would have saved some funds for such a module if I had known it was in the works or a heads up in advance. I would also have liked to see what Chas argeant is doing IE giving us a sneak oeek at the type of scenarios that will appear in this module.

Scott

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Which to me is too bad because I would have saved some funds for such a module if I had known it was in the works or a heads up in advance.

Good point. But I can also see another side to this. Why put years of hard work into something and announce it in advance when another TPP might slide in, release it quicker and scoop your HASL? I had a chat with Eddie Zeman many years a go about HoB's changing of their announcement strategy.

I also liked the surprise of this one. And the Chas Smith one too.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Which to me is too bad because I would have saved some funds for such a module if I had known it was in the works or a heads up in advance.

Good point. But I can also see another side to this. Why put years of hard work into something and announce it in advance when another TPP might slide in, release it quicker and scoop your HASL? I had a chat with Eddie Zeman many years a go about HoB's changing of their announcement strategy.

I also liked the surprise of this one. And the Chas Smith one too.
The surprise of this product release kinda fits with the nature of this campaign. Big surprise for all parties!

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: books on Crete

"10 Days to Destiny, The Battle for Crete 1941"

Greek author, excellent anecdotal stuff.

Tom

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: books on Crete

"10 Days to Destiny, The Battle for Crete 1941"

Greek author, excellent anecdotal stuff.

Tom
Tom,

I know time is VERY important right now.....:)

I am "volunteering" my services as a "get-a-way" driver when YOU and the "Bunker Crew" decide to "repatriate" you "Valor of the Guards" baby....:yummy:

Let me know quickly... Got a rental "Suburban Assault Vehicle (SAV) on "Stand-by"......:p :clown: :nuts:

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which to me is too bad because I would have saved some funds for such a module if I had known it was in the works or a heads up in advance. I would also have liked to see what Chas argeant is doing IE giving us a sneak oeek at the type of scenarios that will appear in this module.
Also, Chas A. doesn't have to worry about being scooped, because it's an MMP product. Except for those who are thoroughly sick of bocage, everybody is going to get AP 4, because it's official and will come with three new official maps.

CH already came out with a bocage product: Busting The Bocage. I didn't buy it, and have no intention of doing so.

HOB already came out with a bocage product: Beyond the Beachhead. I probably will never buy it; the boards seem to have decent art and the overlay concept is well-thought-out, but I don't expect to ever see the boards used outside of HOB products. With my limited budget, not enough bang for the buck.

MMP's, I will probably pre-order in a heartbeat, even though you could say it has been "scooped" (though in this case, not deliberately).

John

Klaus Fischer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Just ordered. Thanks for HoB for making another item available for us to play.

Well actually we didn't.
I remember we posted several remarks about Crete and its counters when we posted about RBF4 and its counter issue and the reprints.
I also showed some pre-prints (of the Crete counters) at Grenadier 2006 :laugh:
So it was actually a well known secret.
Cheers
Klaus