Nationality counter set feedback? Anyone got the discount email they can share?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He needs to get it right on the first try. I have also ordered the Red counters, they look nice to me, but if there is a proofing mistake, I will have to re-evaluate purchasing from them.
Have you ever told him? chrt1@comcast.net

Perhaps this is something that a direct communication might reward your pending orders not yet printed... just a thought.

KRL, jon H

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's part of the game; everything is advertised as "limited edition" when the reality is that he is going to keep printing them as long as people will buy them and he can make money on them.

I love the idea of color counters but to Olli's point, I don't much care of the idea of being an unknowing proofreader. The random and ever changing pricing isn't a big selling point, either.
I agree. I understand the bill and fill business model, just make sure the product is good before shipping.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
He needs to get it right on the first try. I have also ordered the Red counters, they look nice to me, but if there is a proofing mistake, I will have to re-evaluate purchasing from them.
You're right, it would have been nice if everything was correct as you would expect it to be

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That's part of the game; everything is advertised as "limited edition" when the reality is that he is going to keep printing them as long as people will buy them and he can make money on them.

I love the idea of color counters but to Olli's point, I don't much care of the idea of being an unknowing proofreader. The random and ever changing pricing isn't a big selling point, either.
well, it sure made me jump on them, I really believed I had to get them before they sold out
I don't know how I feel now re Critical Hit to be honest, I believe they had best intentions and it was a genuine mistake so I would give them the benefit of the doubt and probably buy from them again (if I had the money) but I am disappointed that the Black SS (whcih could have been so good) are less than perfect

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes he has learnt to proof he prints , we buy, find the faults for him , he issues an errata sheet, then ships them out with your next order, he changes the 1st edition pack to 2nd ed with the buyer proofed counters. Rinse repeat on the next new stuff .....................
I will say that proofreading counters is hard and many companies make mistakes.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will say that proofreading counters is hard and many companies make mistakes.
Then he is cranking way too many each week. I don't know how big CH is, but it can't be big enough to proof all those Nat sets at one time.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
You're right, it would have been nice if everything was correct as you would expect it to be
Nothing from CH is even close to perfect Alan there are always things wrong in the stuff.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have tried that and also offered to proof stuff .............................
I don't know how big an operation Ray has, but he should take you up on your offer. With the volume of counters he is selling and at those high prices, he should have a smoother production than what he has, $70 bucks, regardless of Friday promo code you use, is premium coin for some counters. But I do see this Nat set run being sort of a cash cow for his bottom line.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nothing from CH is even close to perfect Alan there are always things wrong in the stuff.
sheesh, news to me Olli, I just kind of expected everything to be right (as you would)
glad you got the replacement sheets for some of them sent to you at least :)

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
sheesh, news to me Olli, I just kind of expected everything to be right (as you would)
glad you got the replacement sheets for some of them sent to you at least :)
There is another update sheet being sent out soon.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is Ray and his wife.
Really?!? No wonder Maureen doesn't answer questions and there are proofing errors, that is a lot of product for a two person operation. But then again, profit goes to one pocketbook and I have to think he is doing ok, given the amount of stuff he peddles everyweek.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I suspect the reason he does what he does is because he has to in order to pay the bills. This may be why some of the products seem hurried. The thing is that I suspect many would be willing to help with some of the tasks and it could all be done remotely. I do have to admit difficulty in understand the need for the classic color counters. Why buy those when one already has them. What do they add that is so compelling? I admit though the Free French look interesting I am not sure $70 bucks is a worthwhile expenditure for such a narrowly useful product. Now if they combined it with Vichy -- maybe.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
wish I had known that I never would have jumped on those Black SS, now I'm stuck with the wrong counters, a load of half squads that aren't underlined etc (I know Ray was good enough to send me out replacements for the bonus sheets Olli but I don't think he has sent me any to replace those faulty half squads)

If I had known I would have waited til there was a second edition but I panicked as the site kept saying they were almost sold out (and I didn't know there would be a second edition)
I daresay there are plenty of threads around here indicating that CH is not exactly renowned for being free of errata in its publications...

von Marwitz

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I daresay there are plenty of threads around here indicating that CH is not exactly renowned for being free of errata in its publications...

von Marwitz
got you, I should have been aware of that really I guess

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
got you, I should have been aware of that really I guess
Well, as a customer you should generally be able to expect getting solid products and none such that are full of errors etc. (granting that it is difficult to be perfect). So as a basic rule, special awareness should not be necessary. Therefore, there is no fault to be laid at your feet at all.

The point with CH is that past and recent experiences by many people around here, you now being counted amongst their number, have shown, that such awareness is alas necessary with that company.

Those who are familiar with CH and still buy their products are aware of the pitfalls not unfrequently encountered. They accept and put up with them. If so, that is their choice and I am fine with it. Some of them bytimes criticize as "CH bashing" when others point out the shortcomings of CH which I can't really follow.

In case these should not be pointed out, people like you that are apparently not yet very familiar with the potential pitfalls of CH products would not even have a chance to become aware before they buy and thus able to make a choice based on broader information. The issue that some people around here have with CH here is exactly what happened to you:

You were unaware of the potential weaknesses that experience has shown to be encountered more often with CH compared to other TPPs and had to learn the "hard way" to your loss. This should not be. But as far as I can see, CH will not change its business model. Sadly, the way CH handles things might be a cause for heightened caution on your part not only towards CH but also towards other TPPs that do better, do not deserve reservations of the kind, and are ultimately harmed indirectly by CH.

All the best,
von Marwitz

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well, as a customer you should generally be able to expect getting solid products and none such that are full of errors etc. (granting that it is difficult to be perfect). So as a basic rule, special awareness should not be necessary. Therefore, there is no fault to be laid at your feet at all.

The point with CH is that past and recent experiences by many people around here, you now being counted amongst their number, have shown, that such awareness is alas necessary with that company.

Those who are familiar with CH and still buy their products are aware of the pitfalls not unfrequently encountered. They accept and put up with them. If so, that is their choice and I am fine with it. Some of them bytimes criticize as "CH bashing" when others point out the shortcomings of CH which I can't really follow.

In case these should not be pointed out, people like you that are apparently not yet very familiar with the potential pitfalls of CH products would not even have a chance to become aware before they buy and thus able to make a choice based on broader information. The issue that some people around here have with CH here is exactly what happened to you:

You were unaware of the potential weaknesses that experience has shown to be encountered more often with CH compared to other TPPs and had to learn the "hard way" to your loss. This should not be. But as far as I can see, CH will not change its business model. Sadly, the way CH handles things might be a cause for heightened caution on your part not only towards CH but also towards other TPPs that do better, do not deserve reservations of the kind, and are ultimately harmed indirectly by CH.

All the best,
von Marwitz
thanks for the kind words, much appreciated
I think you said it all there, still, I want to believe in Ray and his vision, I want to believe he is doing a good job because (from what little I know, only an 8 year veteran of the game and not bought much 3rd party stuff) he seems to have contributed a fair bit to the hobby and I think he means well

i'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they will send Olli a set of the new corrected counters for me too