MMP enlarging maps maybe.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play on 130% upsized geomaps, enlarged at FedEx. Cost to do so is high for colorized 11x17" (per half board) using high quality paper. MMP's estimated cost of $240 would be a bargain by comparison, especially if produced on cardstock.

Play on larger hexes makes a lot of difference IMO. No crowding, less stack toppling, etc.. No question - getting 130% upsize is great.

(PS - downsizing the DASL maps to 75% which is also recommended - can much better grok the whole field)

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As she would say "Bigger is not always better!"

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Great idea, but at least 20 years too late. Not only would the overlays need to be enlarged, but all the third party maps I've picked up over the years as well. I'll pass, I"ve got other places to spend my money.
This.

I believe that ship has sailed. With 100+ geo boards out there plus a lot of TPP stuff, which would not be compatible, it would be too great an investment.

The old map bundles were 240 US$ for roughly 50 boards. Now, we have, say, 125 maps if you count in the Fort-boards and SK. MMP hinted that the price would lie above 240 US$.

So let's make that 300 USD. For 125 boards it would total up to 700 US$, which is a massive amount already.
Add the insane shipping cost to Europe - an estimate of 150 US$ for that would likely be conservative. So we are at 850 US$. Add to that customs duties of around 20% and you end up at 1020 US$.

This is not even addressing the overlays.

Despite really appreciating larger hexes (as on the maps for some CGs), it would be just too much of an investment I believe. Some would make it anyway and I would not hesitate at all to play on those larger boards, space permitting. But I doubt that enough people would be ready to take such an amount of serious dollars into their hand to reach the P#.

von Marwitz

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Sounds awesome...but agreed above. It seems too late. My travel bag fits things just right now (zillion counters, all the geo boards, etc.) "Standard" long-tables work great for two boards and room in front of you--you'd lose that with larger maps, and therefore.... I've played on large tables, big maps, DASL, etc., and while I like the larger hexes, it's difficult/tiresome reaching over--I don't like large tables. (I "sacrifice" for DASL 'cause it is rather enjoyable.)

As someone above said, all future non-geo boards can be larger, but I think we need to stick with the regular size for any future geo boards. My two cents.

Great question from Brian Y.

That said...I might be interested, depending on the cost...it just seems too tempting! 😨

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Personally I am against it for all the reasons mentioned above and I would not buy them. However if they DID go this route does that mean that when they issue a new board they will issue it in both the standard size and the 130% increased size? Or will everyone be FORCED to get new increased size boards in order to use old boards with new ones?

I think this is something else that needs to be considered.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Being filthy rich, money is no object and I have plenty of storage space in my 13 room mansion, however, I would need to hire more staff to carry the larger boards to tournaments and club get-togethers, and you know how hard it is to find good help nowadays.

So I'll have to pass.

YMMV

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Zero interest in another set of, what, 80 maps and another set of overlays. Would rather they spend time getting out the historical modules they've had in the pipeline for years. Or another Journal. Or more SK content.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would make VBM as simple as Infantry bypass : if there is some Open Ground visible between the obstacle and the hexside, VBM is allowed.
And if someone wants a "realism argument", treetops or overhanging building roofs take more place than the tree trunks or walls of the buildings at the base level of the hex.
I also just verified : chapter J contains no adaptation of VBM to DeLuxe sized boards...
Wasn't there something about using miniatures as the guide?

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Like someone else stated above...I would have been all over this twenty years ago. This is the first ASL item that I will say "no thank you" to.

Semer Fi!
Scott

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I would not buy them. I have no issues with the current boards, so it would feel like a waste of money.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Of course the next logical step is larger counters to accompany the larger boards. Then larger dice, dice towers......🤪

Does VASL allow you to increase the hex size?