MMP enlarging maps maybe.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I still would be interested in a set of winterized maps, knowing that not even close to all of them would be candidates for the process. Desert, bocage, dense jungle, etc. There are quite a few that, in my experience, have never been used in a 'winterized' scenario, and likely never will be. Just a rough, ballpark guess would be about 50-60 of the 80 would need done. Might be wrong, but it feels about right.

As a DASLmaniac, there are only a couple of regular-sized geo-boards I would like to see enlarged. 38 (?) for example. I'm constantly moving pieces out of the way to see what level of that wooded hill they're on, LOS, crestlines etc. With 4 levels and heavy woods, the darkest levels of 3/4 always make me double take. I'd just as soon have 38 enlarged locally and pass on the floated bundle.

Edit: I don't do VASL or have a home printer.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
downloading a map with all the alterations and SSR to a PNG file is part of VASL. Open that PNG file with paint. Print, centering horizontally and vertically to the number of pages needed (legal size better, most home printers can't handle 11x17) and print. My wife got an espon recently and it has the option of borderless printing. That eliminates the trimming! My next map print will be on photopaper.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To quote Hawkeye Pierce : "I wish you guys come with English subtitles."

iseca

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even if two years old, I think there’s merit in voicing opinions in case MMP keeps an eye on the customer.

I think reprinting new boards is a bit of an old school view, though I have to say I’d most likely support with my dollars if such a project were published.

I think a better/more modern approach would be to have a web-based for fee service where you can digitally customize boards for weather, SSRs, enlarge, etc. and then print at home or have printed on high quality paper and delivered. Then you get the boards and features you want and no issues with having to mess with P500 & ordering more product that you need.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I think a better/more modern approach would be to have a web-based for fee service
This describes the very moment, when I would instantly stop purchasing anything.

I just HATE any web-based service in which you have to pay subscription like fees regardless of whether you use it or not. The same way I HATE anything in which you have to pay for the right to use without gaining full ownership of the product you paid for. I just will not do it.

That said, the eASLRB by MMP I consider a fair offer. Because you pay once for the rules AND all updates and can download the file on your machine. Even if MMP would go bankrupt, I still have my file and no subsequent owner could dictate new terms of usage or withdraw usage altogether. At the same time, I pay nothing for something I do not know if and when it might or might not happen.

von Marwitz

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think he was describing a subscription service like Adobe cloud. I think it's like print on demand.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Reissuing enlarged geo-maps for ASL as a common item rates right up there with purchasing a box of used cat litter as a good idea.
I like the idea of enlarged geo-boards. It wouldn't take much effort on MMP's part: the artwork is already done, and three-fold maps were created for use with DASL, so it should be straightforward. The same goes for the overlays.

I'd love to have larger maps: my fingers aren't as nimble as they once were. I would very likely buy them. Many players already make their own, so there's definitely a market.

As for TPM maps, players can always enlarge their TPM maps if they want too. Or TPMs could jump on the wagon and reissue their maps enlarged too.

Last edited:

iseca

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think he was describing a subscription service like Adobe cloud. I think it's like print on demand.
Correct. You'd pay for the pdf file (or whatever file format) or pay to have a physical map delivered. Basically, a print on demand service where you can define the boards the way you want them.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I just noticed Brian's post was almost 2 years ago. So much for that.
... and that included the bit about the Overlay pack being out "this year" (which, to be completely honest, would extend to just one year ago - still).

As most others: not interested. If at some point I really want customized versions of the boards, I'll probably go the printer + VASL way. Less durable, but I will get simplified overlay handling and SSR alterations as a bonus.

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
This describes the very moment, when I would instantly stop purchasing anything.

I just HATE any web-based service in which you have to pay subscription like fees regardless of whether you use it or not. The same way I HATE anything in which you have to pay for the right to use without gaining full ownership of the product you paid for. I just will not do it.

That said, the eASLRB by MMP I consider a fair offer. Because you pay once for the rules AND all updates and can download the file on your machine. Even if MMP would go bankrupt, I still have my file and no subsequent owner could dictate new terms of usage or withdraw usage altogether. At the same time, I pay nothing for something I do not know if and when it might or might not happen.

von Marwitz
The worst kind of subscription fee that I never asked for is called taxes.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I'm so far from wanting this that I'd actually prefer that HASL maps be printed with standard size hexes. By the time I get all the scenario aid cards, charts and other game supporting detritus around a three geoboard setup I hardly have space on the table to roll a die.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'm so far from wanting this that I'd actually prefer that HASL maps be printed with standard size hexes. By the time I get all the scenario aid cards, charts and other game supporting detritus around a three geoboard setup I hardly have space on the table to roll a die.
That's what the floor is for! Lol we rarely used a table or chairs. Had a table top with legs removed that we used for RB. Just sit cross legged on the floor. Twenty five or six to four.😉

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actionjick wrote:

"That's what the floor is for! Lol we rarely used a table or chairs. Had a table top with legs removed that we used for RB. Just sit cross legged on the floor."

I don't know about anyone else, but the days of sitting cross legged on the floor, listening to Cream and Mothers of Invention and ingesting non-prescribed pharmaceuticals, ended about 40 years ago. Good luck getting up after The Last Bid is played to completion.

David "72 is the new 60" Goldman