MMP enlarging maps maybe.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian Y posted on Facebook the possibility that MMP might print the core maps in larger hex scale.

He was asking for opinions and many said that they would pre-order the map set.

He then added that the overlays would also have to be enlarged as well. But that comment I haven't heard any updates about either.

What do you think?

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Advanced Squad Leader

Brian Youse · January 20, 2020 ·

If we (MMP) put up a preorder for a map bundle where all the maps are 130% or so larger would you be interested? The old map bundle went for like $240 retail, this would probably be more (because there are more maps if nothing else...). I'm just wondering. I'm counting likes, but comments are also okay/welcome/encouraged!
🙂

EDIT: BTW, I'm thinking flat, uncreased maps shipped in a flat box. On that ASLSK map material we use now.
EDIT#2: I guess we'd need overlays at that size too. That would be an available option with the Overlay Bundle which a little birdie told me would be coming out this year "for sure".

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
I would go for it, playing TPP and HiF with bigger hex is something I value.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I mostly play VASL and if I (occasionaly) want enlarged maps, I can use a photocopier.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
How would bypass be handled? Obstacles that couldn't be bypassed on the standard map could possibly be with the enlarged hex size. Will an enlarged counter provided with the bundle or has this issue been resolved previously?

Last edited:

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Brian Y posted on Facebook the possibility that MMP might print the core maps in larger hex scale.

He was asking for opinions and many said that they would pre-order the map set.

He then added that the overlays would also have to be enlarged as well. But that comment I haven't heard any updates about either.

What do you think?
In order to use bigger maps, bigger tables could be a necessity. I am not interested.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ya, it would be a nice gesture on MMP's part to enlarge the maps (I guess they spotted the custom ones done by another guy) but as has been aluded by another poster are the 3rd party maps which can present a bit of a problem for those of us who go beyond playing just official stuff.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
How would bypass be handled? Obstacles that couldn't be bypassed on the standard map could possibly be with the enlarged hex size. An enlarged counter provided with the bundle or has this issue been resolved previously?
That problem occurs with DeLuxe maps, where no rules provisions an adaptation to the change of scale.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
How would bypass be handled? Obstacles that couldn't be bypassed on the standard map could possibly be with the enlarged hex size. An enlarged counter provided with the bundle or has this issue been resolved previously?
Sounds like a good idea BUT I agree, should have happened awhile ago, would impact things in ways we have not thought of so I'll pass at this point. Nice sentiment though as we age, Vic.

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Can't justify the cost of just getting larger font versions of maps I already have. I am sure that they would also be another$100 in shipping as well. Just do us a favour and continue to print new HASL maps in the larger scale.

cifdale

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
In the past when I have played on enlarged maps my opponent and I agreed to apply the bypass rules to the enlarged maps without any reference to the standard size maps. If my opponent does question a bypass attempt, I would have the standard maps available for comparison.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
In the past when I have played on enlarged maps my opponent and I agreed to apply the bypass rules to the enlarged maps without any reference to the standard size maps. If my opponent does question a bypass attempt, I would have the standard maps available for comparison.
This issue, I think, is even more easily addressed: glue together a couple of popsicle sticks, then sand the composite down until its 30% wider than a regular MMP counter, and use that as your bypass tester. Counters vary in thickness anyway, especially across TPMs, so this is probably a better solution than just "grabbing any old counter," even on normal-sized boards.

Frankly, I've never liked the VBM test: with the tight spaces, and with the hassle of seeing both sides of the counter at the same time, and the fuzzy/jagged illustrations, the results are often borderline. A purposefully designed "tool" could make it easier.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Frankly, I've never liked the VBM test: with the tight spaces, and with the hassle of seeing both sides of the counter at the same time, and the fuzzy/jagged illustrations, the results are often borderline. A purposefully designed "tool" could make it easier.
I would make VBM as simple as Infantry bypass : if there is some Open Ground visible between the obstacle and the hexside, VBM is allowed.
And if someone wants a "realism argument", treetops or overhanging building roofs take more place than the tree trunks or walls of the buildings at the base level of the hex.
I also just verified : chapter J contains no adaptation of VBM to DeLuxe sized boards...